Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 07:39 PM

7 posts, read 7,243 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I've been planning a move out west for awhile now and have my mind set on LV. Going out there in a few weeks for a week vacation to scout out but ultimately want to move out in August/september.

I plan on working as a doorman at a high-end hotel/server at nice restaurant for now. Sounds far fetched but I'm planning on starting up a internet career and will obviously need a day job so I'm not dipping too much into savings. I plan on renting a place alone (possibly a pet included) for at least the first year. I've got a car I'll be driving over and a fair amount of money saved up to put you in my perspective. I'd like to be in a safer suburb but not too far from all the city/jobs. I've found Spring Valley to be a valid option but not much else. What other suburbs/areas would you guys recommend I scout on my little scouting vacation in a few weeks? I'm not entirely sure what to ask considering I've never made a big move but I suppose just hearing some opinions on what you'd do in my position based on your knowledge of LV would be much appreciated!

Also happy to hear of any places I should avoid! I'm not opposed to anything right now. I haven't made my mind up on anything. Really the only factors I'm considering currently that play a roll in location are rent cost/quality and distance to potential jobs I mentioned.

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 09:06 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
first and foremost... is someone getting you in to that position? you need juice here otherwise it rarely happens..
you said you have a fair amount of money saved up... hope its 10k or more, you will need it.
the rent is going to be a grand a month or more for a decent place.

you need the job before you move here... if you have any skeletons in your closet... it is going to be very very hard.... drug and background checks abound here. felony, you can just forget about it..

just trying to be honest...

Old 06-05-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
first and foremost... is someone getting you in to that position? you need juice here otherwise it rarely happens..
you said you have a fair amount of money saved up... hope its 10k or more, you will need it.
the rent is going to be a grand a month or more for a decent place.

you need the job before you move here... if you have any skeletons in your closet... it is going to be very very hard.... drug and background checks abound here. felony, you can just forget about it..

just trying to be honest...
I've worked 2 jobs plus some side stuff here and there for the past 3 years so over 60k saved up - I'm good there. Nothing on my record, squeaky clean . I'm not too worried about finding a job. I know it'll be tough considering everyone's looking for one there but typically if you go the extra mile in attempts to get hired rather than just writing in an app, you tend to get lucky. At least it's always worked for me in the past!

I'm pretty set on moving there. If need be, I'll have a fall back. Starting the first 2 months out at an Airbnb so I'm not locked in to a rent agreement. Just need to narrow down the areas I'm considering living in.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:59 AM

469 posts, read 494,537 times
Be at least 10-15 miles away from the Strip & Downtown, I like to use that as a rule of thumb when looking to find a place to live.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:32 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soclose View Post
Be at least 10-15 miles away from the Strip & Downtown, I like to use that as a rule of thumb when looking to find a place to live.
Seems to me 15 miles begs the question, "In which direction?" Also, I get why you want not to be on top of the Strip but 10-15 miles away? WHY? Is this an income-level or anti-diversity thing? The OP is only 21. Why would he want to be in a family or retiree area?

Old 06-06-2017, 07:44 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Agree with the above.

This guy sounds like a go getter. If he stays Away from drugs and alcohol and gambling he'll be OK .

There are a younger group living in the naked city area. East of Staratusphere. I have a friend that lives in that area she feels safe, she knows all her neighbors and really enjoys it. Now you be renting a small house but you have the money and you might need the space for your growing business. Another area to check out it is downtown Las Vegas in the condos.

If you can pass a drug test and have no felonies the strip is waiting for you. Might have to start at a lower level job but many of the locals can't even pass a drug test to get a job on the strip.

You are 21 what have you got to lose. If this turns out to be a mistake you move home you're still in your 20s. My real work life didn't start till I was about 36. Now at 60 I'm way ahead of the game and probably in the top 5 percent.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:10 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,153,055 times
Most jobs here you MUST apply online so I would get started about 2 weeks before you move

Old 06-06-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Agree with the above.

This guy sounds like a go getter. If he stays Away from drugs and alcohol and gambling he'll be OK .

There are a younger group living in the naked city area. East of Staratusphere. I have a friend that lives in that area she feels safe, she knows all her neighbors and really enjoys it. Now you be renting a small house but you have the money and you might need the space for your growing business. Another area to check out it is downtown Las Vegas in the condos.

If you can pass a drug test and have no felonies the strip is waiting for you. Might have to start at a lower level job but many of the locals can't even pass a drug test to get a job on the strip.

You are 21 what have you got to lose. If this turns out to be a mistake you move home you're still in your 20s. My real work life didn't start till I was about 36. Now at 60 I'm way ahead of the game and probably in the top 5 percent.
I'll check out Naked City area, sounds neat! I'm probably looking at locations such as Winchester, Naked City, Spring Valley, Paradise, etc... I wouldn't mind living 10 miles away from the main hub area if I found a hell of a rent option but probably wouldn't be ideal in my position.

Thanks for weighing in Peanut. I do feel pretty safe in that I have a fall back just a flight away. What's the worst that could happen? lol

When it comes to comparing these small suburbs close to the strip, I guess it will come down to crime rate and quality of living in that area. I probably will look for a small house/town home to rent now that you mention it. For that extra cost, it'll probably be twice as safe and convenient (washer/dryer, driveway/garage, etc.). I'm impressed by how low some of these smaller house rentals costs are based on the rental sites I've been searching. Is rent generally low there?

Old 06-06-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
Most jobs here you MUST apply online so I would get started about 2 weeks before you move
Thanks for the tip! Good idea

Old 06-06-2017, 10:28 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Keep in mind, for a long time Naked City was one of the worst slums in Vegas. I accidentally drove into it once, and seeing where I ended up, got the hell out of there as quickly as I could. I don't know if it's turned around that much in the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas