Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:19 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
Not in my case. I had an investor down the street scoop up the house at auction and then physically make it run down on purpose, to be able to rent it to sec 8. All it took was one house like this to place an entire block on edge.
Give me a street name and a number and I can likely find out. DM if you don't want your street known. Why on earth would anyone run down a property for Section 8? You may have to lower rents but the Section 8 guys will inspect and will give a LL an hard time for letting the place run down.
And again the only advantage of a Section 8 is part of the rent is paid by the government. Generally the real estate view is that you only Section 8 properties that rent at or below the Section 8 limits. You can go over but that defeats the Section 8 advantage. You convert the tenant closer to a regular renter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 06:32 PM

307 posts, read 267,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Give me a street name and a number and I can likely find out. DM if you don't want your street known. Why on earth would anyone run down a property for Section 8? You may have to lower rents but the Section 8 guys will inspect and will give a LL an hard time for letting the place run down.
And again the only advantage of a Section 8 is part of the rent is paid by the government. Generally the real estate view is that you only Section 8 properties that rent at or below the Section 8 limits. You can go over but that defeats the Section 8 advantage. You convert the tenant closer to a regular renter.
It is in Summerlin over by Red Rock. Metro was watching the place for a few months and then eventually busted the tenants for something and they disappeared. Ever since 2016 the house has been sitting empty. I don't know why the house was run down (other than the fact that it was an auction), but it surely looked deliberate. Removal of rocks and trees and a major crack in the driveway, etc. The tenants had CA plates and I learned that CA vouchers are accepted in NV. Anyone know why the state shoots itself in the foot by accepting those vouchers from transplants like that?

Old 06-15-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
It is in Summerlin over by Red Rock. Metro was watching the place for a few months and then eventually busted the tenants for something and they disappeared. Ever since 2016 the house has been sitting empty. I don't know why the house was run down (other than the fact that it was an auction), but it surely looked deliberate. Removal of rocks and trees and a major crack in the driveway, etc. The tenants had CA plates and I learned that CA vouchers are accepted in NV. Anyone know why the state shoots itself in the foot by accepting those vouchers from transplants like that?
All states accept Section 8 vouchers. They are portable.

That is nothing to do with Section 8. Nothing in that area will ever be Section 8 way too expensive. What you are describing is a screwed foreclosure. Happen all the time. Would not be surprised if the Californians were not squatters, though they may have had permission from the owner being foreclosed or such. And it can get bad. Sometimes they sit vacant for three or four years. The problem is that no one can put together the paperwork needed to gain ownership. Sometimes the banks screw up. And sometimes the banks will screw up so they cannot gain ownership but they put the property tax and HOA fees to avoid losing the property. Had one in Sun City where an old fellow died without heirs. Generally takes a couple of years to foreclose and a place like Sun City will not want to do it.

The place you describe is also the classic flip. Wait until it actually becomes available, buy it cheap and flip it. Much more lucrative than a Section 8 rental.

The only place around here I know of any substantial Section 8 is the Villas at Desert Shores. Those folks can get a 3 bedroom apartment there for under $1,000 a month. So they can live in a nice neighborhood within the rental guide lines. There are a few other places like east of Rainbow south of 95. But even there Section 8 is mostly priced out. Sold a house on Antelope a couple of years ago for around $150,000. The buyer immediately put $50,000 into it before moving in...area appears to be slowly gentrifying.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:02 PM

414 posts, read 359,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon
Is the house you are referring currently listed? I've been eyeing the houses for sale in the past month in the 89138 zip and there is once for sale for $232k. Recently a home down the street was listed for $100k more and if went quickly. There are no interior pictures so I'm guessing it's a total wreck inside. I live nearby and know that house is in a very nice subdivision so there must be a big catch at that price. Probably a flipper's dream - too bad my husband and I aren't handy at all and hate dealing with contractors.

I hope for your sake better neighbors move in soon. I have legit Section 8 neighbors a few houses over from me in a property I own back east. These people are total white trash train wrecks - "recovering" addicts, three kids with a forth on the way (they just regained custody - why do these people keep breeding!!!), no jobs, no car. Another family with a gaggle of children moved in too - 8-10 people in a two bedroom, 1k square foot house. Someone complained to their landlord so the other family had to leave. When the fourth kid comes I guess they won't be able to stay in the two bedroom home (fingers crossed), but I don't intend to report them - I'll leave that to someone else. I don't care how my neighbors pay their rent as long as they're quiet, respectful and keep their property looking ok. I've had plenty of lousy neighbors that own their homes, but stereotypes exist for a reason and these neighbors have done nothing to dispel the Section 8 stigma.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:36 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
What a nightmare. I just can't imagine why a landlord would voluntarily engage in the Section 8 program.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
What a nightmare. I just can't imagine why a landlord would voluntarily engage in the Section 8 program.
Not really. The right section 8 tenants are just fine. If you don't like the tenant don't rent to them. Turned down a tenant a couple of years ago who sounded just fine on paper. Talked to him and decided he was a classic go old boy with an extended good old boy family. I like good old boys...but I won't rent to them particularly if they seem part of a good old boy tribe.

I think mostly Section 8 is code for non-whites. There simply are not enough in Clark County to have any substantial impact. In fact the problems in the early phases of the Villas at Desert Shores was more bikers and druggie. Got pretty colored but well after the problem begin. Basically they drove out all the owners so only renters were left. And later only minorities trying to get out of bad neighborhoods would rent the places. I would not show them to anyone in fact...so my mostly upper strata mostly white clientele was never going to see them.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:27 PM

85 posts, read 86,219 times
Quote:
They are renters. They are very unlikely to be Section 8. I believe in all of LV there are about 5800 Section 8 renters. That is out of about 800,000 housing units in the County. And a significant part of thse are the elderly who get preferential access.

I sometimes suspect that "Section 8" is actual a reference to people of color.
Elderly are on fixed income so most of them are in Section 8 housing.

Section 8 is under the Housing and Urban Development.

The media makes you think most people on public assistance are minorities. Minorities are overrepresented in America as far as taking up public assistance. Here is the difference, you have minorities who live all over the country even in places like North Dakota and Montana. Since these places are more spread out, it is more difficult to pin point minorities in those states.

Whereas you go to your coastal cities, like NYC, Philadelphia, LA, Washington DC it is easier to account those minorities who live in major cities. Easier to build Section 8.

In your rural areas, section 8 is less obvious.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
Elderly are on fixed income so most of them are in Section 8 housing.

Section 8 is under the Housing and Urban Development.

The media makes you think most people on public assistance are minorities. Minorities are overrepresented in America as far as taking up public assistance. Here is the difference, you have minorities who live all over the country even in places like North Dakota and Montana. Since these places are more spread out, it is more difficult to pin point minorities in those states.

Whereas you go to your coastal cities, like NYC, Philadelphia, LA, Washington DC it is easier to account those minorities who live in major cities. Easier to build Section 8.

In your rural areas, section 8 is less obvious.
No. Pretty rare for the elderly to be in section 8 housing. Mostly the poor among the elderly end up in rent controlled senior places which are not Section 8. I doubt there are 1500 elderly section 8 homes. The elderly however live in about 20,000 55+ homes in Las Vegas and thousands more rentals.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:38 AM

85 posts, read 86,219 times
Quote:
No. Pretty rare for the elderly to be in section 8 housing. Mostly the poor among the elderly end up in rent controlled senior places which are not Section 8. I doubt there are 1500 elderly section 8 homes. The elderly however live in about 20,000 55+ homes in Las Vegas and thousands more rentals.
Nevada is supposed to be one of the best states for retirees and the elderly.

Where I live, elderly on a fixed income goes through Section 8 or community living homes. I see a lot of them in Section 8 housing where I live.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:25 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
Nevada is supposed to be one of the best states for retirees and the elderly.

Where I live, elderly on a fixed income goes through Section 8 or community living homes. I see a lot of them in Section 8 housing where I live.
Vegas is not like other cities. It's a whole 'nother animal. People that come here expecting it to be like " back home" wash out pretty quick. It's a great city to retire to. If you have the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas