Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:16 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times

Advertisements

and remember.....the desert isn't all green n fragrant like you're used to.....desert beauty is one of light and shadow and is best viewed early am or late afternoon.....midday is for drinkin a cool one...not for sightseeing.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 04:18 PM

27 posts, read 104,485 times
Ohh I know all about that darned out of state tuition.

Thanks for the advice though. I plan on coming out either Spring Break in two weeks or Summer Break. I have family in Vegas but I know that wont help my out of state tuition. Itll make the transition easier though. Even if they are my grandparents lol. But yeah, residency is definitly something I plan on getting. My cousin goes to ASU and said that getting residency is really difficult with out of state parents. Hers live in Hickory Hills, a suburb of Chicago. Is this a correct statement?

Old 03-12-2008, 04:48 PM

572 posts, read 1,683,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickz View Post
Ohh I know all about that darned out of state tuition.

Thanks for the advice though. I plan on coming out either Spring Break in two weeks or Summer Break. I have family in Vegas but I know that wont help my out of state tuition. Itll make the transition easier though. Even if they are my grandparents lol. But yeah, residency is definitly something I plan on getting. My cousin goes to ASU and said that getting residency is really difficult with out of state parents. Hers live in Hickory Hills, a suburb of Chicago. Is this a correct statement?
Actually, from what I recall (and someone please correct me if I am wrong, since it has beeen a couple of years already since I had to worry about this), but if your grandparents already live in Las Vegas, couldn't you just use their address as a local address for school reasons?

Although on second thought, that might be a little tricky if you are planning on going the financial aid route

Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 PM

Yeah, I am most definitely applying for financial aid. I actually havent looked into my grandparents being a way out for paying out of state tuition. That could be a possibility.

I guess out of state tuitions just come with territory. Its not like you can avoid them or anything you just have to take it as it comes. But I am definitely applying for residency as far as Im concerned.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 11,223 times
Hey nickz, I know what you mean about Chicago vs Vegas and the sprawling landscape. Definitely a change, but Vegas seems bigger every time I go. (Maybe cause I venture out further each time.)

I live in Chicago now and am actually looking to move to Vegas relatively soon. Glad I found this forum, seems like a lot of good info.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:50 AM

yes! Finally a fellow Chicagoan lol. No one seemed to understand what I mean. You can literally drive and drive and still see civilization. Well, you know.

Summer break is just around the corner and I am eagerly awaiting my first trip to Vegas since youth. My uncle went there and told me the same thing you said. About how it actually is pretty large in size. So I think Ill enjoy it.

I plan on staying out there as well. Escape the harsh winters of Chitownnn. This year was horrible!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
A few things...

1. UNLV is not a bad school at all. Some people bash it, but those are typically the people who don't know anything about it. UNLV has a lot of really good programs (including the one you're interested in). ASU is not better academically, they're on the same tier.

2. Although most nightlife on the strip is 21+, I know lots of 18 and 19 years olds who go to UNLV and still manage to have a good time. Heck, I did it myself. House parties are popular, just like at any other school. UNLV also has a really good basketball team, so there's an element of school spirit.

3. The areas surrounding campus are a little bit rough, but you'll want to move off campus after a year anyway. Traffic out here is really light, so moving to a nicer area and getting an apartment with some friends would be a feasible option. Be sure to check out the whole valley when you're in town; there's so much more to it than just the strip.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:07 PM

Thanks a lot radraja. Yeah I often hear people bashing UNLV just because it doesnt have a long and prestigous history like other Universities. Since it just celebrated the 50th anniversary many people dont take it seriously as a learning establishment.

Thanks for identifying the tiers between ASU and UNLV I wasnt aware that they were on the same level.

Ive heard a lot about UNLVs basketball team. Infact they won one of their brackets I saw on ESPN.

Are the dormitoriums nice facilities that you know of? Living off campus isnt a big choice for me my parents would prefer I stay on campus, they feel its safer that way.

Thanks a lot,
Nick

Old 03-24-2008, 06:46 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
The dorms are dorms. They're not any better or worse than what you would get at any other state university. It's an okay option for freshman year, especially if you don't know anyone.

Those who live in the dorms freshman year move off campus sophomore year. Your parents needn't worry. It won't be hard to find a nice, safe place to live (like I said, commute times tend to be short out here, so it would be reasonable to live almost anywhere in the valley).

Old 03-24-2008, 09:12 PM

is housing really that cheap? I know the markets in a recession (IMO headed towards a depression) but I wasnt aware that the cost of living was so low.

Thanks again!
Nick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: