Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 01:10 PM

294 posts, read 236,081 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We plan to immigrate fresh from Europe, therefore, we will not have a credit score or a landloard reference.
I assume by pre-paying a lease for a longer period or providing a larger deposit, landloards will accept us?

What is the likely scenario here?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 02:49 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
In your case, I would probably want to know about your source of income and if it is stable. For example, if you are coming to the USA to work as an executive in one of the resorts, I would ask for a letter from your employer stating that. If you are retired and plan to live off your savings, I would ask for proof of funds. If you are coming to the USA without a job but hope to find one, that would be a big red flag for me, and would depend on your other funds.

Then, most likely, 1st month, last month, cleaning deposit, security deposit.

In your case, I suggest you work with a reputable local Real Estate agent to secure your rental.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
Hi,

We plan to immigrate fresh from Europe, therefore, we will not have a credit score or a landloard reference.
I assume by pre-paying a lease for a longer period or providing a larger deposit, landloards will accept us?

What is the likely scenario here?

Thanks!
Varies with the Landlord or Property Manager. Virtually always workable with money. a prepayment of a couple of months is generally more than enough...

Old 06-25-2017, 03:11 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Varies with the Landlord or Property Manager. Virtually always workable with money. a prepayment of a couple of months is generally more than enough...
Some property management companies require a min credit score, regardless of anything else. They do not budge.

Best bet for the OP is Craigslist. Find an owner and talk to them directly.
**BUT** before doing that, read up on scams:
e.g.
https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/S...-on-Craigslist

Old 06-25-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Some property management companies require a min credit score, regardless of anything else. They do not budge.

Best bet for the OP is Craigslist. Find an owner and talk to them directly.
**BUT** before doing that, read up on scams:
e.g.
https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/S...-on-Craigslist
NO NO - You do not rent houses in this class from Craig's List. And no you do not have problems with PMs at this price point. You are talking $900 a month stuff not $5000.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:45 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
NO NO - You do not rent houses in this class from Craig's List. And no you do not have problems with PMs at this price point. You are talking $900 a month stuff not $5000.
$5k/m? I must have missed that

Old 06-25-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
$5k/m? I must have missed that
Another thread. Our European immigrant is well heeled .

Old 06-25-2017, 11:06 PM

469 posts, read 494,321 times
Work with a Real Estate Agent and being Cash. It'll open up negotiations for at least a 6 month lease.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:18 PM

294 posts, read 236,081 times
Thanks to everyone for the insights! The information is very valuable for me, I am very happy I found this forum and so many people who are here to help! We did get some credit cards from BOA back in January, and maybe we will build some credit score with those over time, however, I assume the score will rather be poor at the start. Anyhow, as LV Mensch suggests that issues could be resolved with money, that is good news for us.

Last edited by Michael2016; 06-26-2017 at 12:17 AM..

Old 06-26-2017, 09:12 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Michael2016,

Definitely go through a real estate agent.

Some landlords prefer to list their home for rent only through a real estate agent, as the agent provides an additional filter on prospective tenants. Traditionally, the property owner pays the fee of the real estate agent (someone correct me if I am wrong).

This does not mean you cannot find a good rental without an agent -- but because you are immigrating I suspect you will find it simpler to use an agent, and you already will have many other things to worry about.

I did not see the separate immigration thread, so let me just say Welcome to the USA (ok, it is premature, but nevertheless Welcome).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas