Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 03:48 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times

Advertisements

I see many sports cars around Las Vegas, and I always wonder why. Away from the track, sports cars are made for twisty roads, where they are exceedingly competent and fun. But Las Vegas is a grid pattern of straight roads. Every now and then you can find a curve -- but it seems like you have to drive a very long way to find a fun sports-car oriented road.

With that in mind, I'm a bit surprised to see so many Porsche 911s & Boxsters & Caymans, McLarens, Audi R8s, Corvettes and the like. Muscle cars are right at home in Las Vegas, it seems to me, but a Ferrari Speciale? Or even a La Ferrari? What's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 04:12 PM

848 posts, read 647,851 times
I think it can be summed up in one word: ostentation.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:36 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,114,160 times
Coincidentally enough I got a Camaro as a rental today. I am not a fan and I enjoy fast rwd sports cars.

Ferraris are rarely ever driven at all let alone on a track. They are mainly collectors cars rich douchecanoes buy to show off and make money.

I am not a big squashed beetle fan but the Porsche 911 is a damn fine driving car even for daily purposes. You don't have to be going balls out to enjoy it. Same with Mclarens. The lower models are fairly cheap and you get supercar looks.

Corvettes are almost always driven by old men that need little blue pills. It's the car to park next to their picket fence in the American dream. It's the name more than anything else with them.

Muscle cars are only good at straight lines anyway. Perfect for Vegas.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,524 times
Sports cars are sometimes driven because people enjoy them.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:37 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
I think it can be summed up in one word: ostentation.
i had to look that up, but that's what i would have said if i knew the meaning beforehand

Old 06-26-2017, 09:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
I saw a steel grey Porsche at South Point Saturday night. Damn! I think sometimes it's just the desire to drive something beautiful.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:03 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,761 times
Don't forget we also have a few rental companies offering exotics exclusively. When I see a Ferrari or two (they seem to travel in pairs here) I usually assume rentals. Not a bad way to blow a couple thousand in a few hours if one can afford it. Hefty deposits required though.

As far as more accessible models I think they are primarily driven to project image/status and rarely much else.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:06 AM

638 posts, read 593,826 times
I had a friend try to get to my house once in an Audi R8, he couldnt get over the speed bumps and had to go get another car....

I dont think much of american cars, but I do quite fancy a corvette, the newer ones have come on significantly over the older ones.

If you don't think there's much point in vegas, come to london where every second car is a porsche, going 4mph in stop start traffic.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:05 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,150 times
My wife and I own a BMW Z4 coupe. It's the mom and pop version, not the M model. First off, we did not buy it for status. We wanted a fun little car that we could use to take drives during the weekends. Believe it or not, although I'm not admitting anything, there are a couple of curvy roads close to Vegas that are a lot of fun to drive on ;-) However, it's still a fun car to drive on long stretches of straight road. We especially like taking it when we drive to Los Angeles. It's small, so easy to park and gets great gas mileage, 32 mpg.

And if we want to wring it out, there's BMW club runs at the LVMS and a fun drive in Arizona called BEAT rally (British and European Auto Tour) although I'm not sure they are still running it.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:31 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
My wife and I own a BMW Z4 coupe. It's the mom and pop version, not the M model. First off, we did not buy it for status. We wanted a fun little car that we could use to take drives during the weekends. Believe it or not, although I'm not admitting anything, there are a couple of curvy roads close to Vegas that are a lot of fun to drive on ;-) However, it's still a fun car to drive on long stretches of straight road. We especially like taking it when we drive to Los Angeles. It's small, so easy to park and gets great gas mileage, 32 mpg.

And if we want to wring it out, there's BMW club runs at the LVMS and a fun drive in Arizona called BEAT rally (British and European Auto Tour) although I'm not sure they are still running it.
Right, but that is a fairly practical car...not sure that is what is really being discussed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: