Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 01:20 AM

243 posts, read 238,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Most of the Vegas valley is unincorporated communities. The entire southwest valley is unincorporated. Even the strip area is not actually part of the city of Las Vegas. You an see this in roadways that are non-continuous across the valley.

Phoenix has the Maricopa association of governments that helps direct projects. I'm not saying one way is better or worse. I'm saying Vegas is unique. I've never been in another city that has the same look or feel. But I've been in Vegas enough to know that locals don't like non-locals commenting on the city outside of the strip. As evidenced in your response.
Do some homes in the older more central Phoenix still use flood irrigation from the Salt River Project? I find that quite fascinating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 01:28 AM

243 posts, read 238,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever_Researching View Post
I love that Reno airs KTVU (my favorite news station), LOL!

The heat and bugs seem to be my main issues with Las Vegas. I thought crime would be too, until I compared data to San Francisco and saw there was actually more recent crime here then there. I'm going to be heading out to LV next month to get a taste of the heat to see if i can handle it. I've visited in Jan, April, September, November and December over the last 10 years (the last 3 years more frequently) and the weather has been lovely. In my mind, I like to think I can stick it out 3 months out of the year as long as my A/C doesn't go out.

My friend that moved to LV was from L.A. (well, she lived there a few years) and has no intentions of moving back due to the COL. I have 2 other friends that live in LV that have been there over 10 years and another friend who bought a house there 3 years ago but splits his time between SF and LV (and he LOVES his LV home and has been encouraging me to buy a house since he moved there).
Bugs in Las Vegas?????????????????????? As a native of the Tampa Bay area of Florida, and having lived in Charleston, South Carolina in a house that was built in about 1750 (Yes before the United States). Lets talk about bugs! Think Palmetto bugs with party hats, party favorites flying around your kitchen and in summer flying bugs flying about your ears! Fleas, ticks and termites that fortunately can't eat the ancient heart pine wooden members of that old house!

Old 08-19-2017, 07:15 PM

17 posts, read 19,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xusafpilot View Post
If there is no physical/mental/criminal reason not to have a driving license you really need to have one along with a car and all that entails.

Culture in Las Vegas compared to the Bay Area simply does not exist. Las Vegas is about gaming and the almighty $$$$.

Your income will go a long way here. Housing and cost of living is DIRT CHEAP. No state income taxes!!

Climate is completely different with very hot dry temperatures in summer. Fall and winter, very pleasant and dry. Spring is awful due to the frequent wind storms that peek around Easter.

Expect to spend a lot of time indoors in the summer. Fall and winter is outdoor season here and during the day time; mid day is great to get outside and exercise and do things.

Education is not appreciated here and in many circles looked down upon, so expect to be around a lot of people who are very nice but just out of the loop. Recently, I was mentioning something "Reagan Era" and the young lady was clueless as to who Ronald Reagan was.

So, there it is.

I never got a license because honestly it was more trouble to have a car here (SF) than to not to. My current apartment does not offer parking and street parking is a nightmare. Also, SF is notorious for having cars broken into.

While I understand it would be better to have a license and a car in LV, to say someone needs it is false. I know of people in cities like New Orleans, Los Angeles, and Denver who do not take the bus and do not drive. The cost of Uber and/or Lyft a month may equal a car note + insurance. While it is better to just have my own car in the long run, I know I can still get to where I need to go with those other options. I am definitely going to consider getting my license once I move out there as learning it there looks a bit easier than learning here in SF (too many hills, one way, and narrow streets here).

As of late, living in SF is all about money. Sure, we have culture and are diverse, but if you don't have the money, you can't live here. And because of that, a lot of culture and diversity is leaving this once great city.

I was just out in Las Vegas and the weather was hot but wasn't that bad. It stayed under 103 and I was comfortable. My friend said June and July were pretty brutal but she knows me and knows that I would have no problem staying indoors, LOL. I told her going to work wouldn't be an issue, it's the going home at 4-4:30 that i would have a problem with. That seems to the the time it's really hot out during those crazy summer days. I would imagine spring kind of sucking just due to the allergies flaring up due to the wind. I don't have bad allergies, but I fear I might develop some because of that.

Ronald Reagan.....the actor???

Old 08-19-2017, 07:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
I never got a license because honestly it was more trouble to have a car here (SF) than to not to. My current apartment does not offer parking and street parking is a nightmare. Also, SF is notorious for having cars broken into.

While I understand it would be better to have a license and a car in LV, to say someone needs it is false. I know of people in cities like New Orleans, Los Angeles, and Denver who do not take the bus and do not drive. The cost of Uber and/or Lyft a month may equal a car note + insurance. While it is better to just have my own car in the long run, I know I can still get to where I need to go with those other options. I am definitely going to consider getting my license once I move out there as learning it there looks a bit easier than learning here in SF (too many hills, one way, and narrow streets here).

As of late, living in SF is all about money. Sure, we have culture and are diverse, but if you don't have the money, you can't live here. And because of that, a lot of culture and diversity is leaving this once great city.

I was just out in Las Vegas and the weather was hot but wasn't that bad. It stayed under 103 and I was comfortable. My friend said June and July were pretty brutal but she knows me and knows that I would have no problem staying indoors, LOL. I told her going to work wouldn't be an issue, it's the going home at 4-4:30 that i would have a problem with. That seems to the the time it's really hot out during those crazy summer days. I would imagine spring kind of sucking just due to the allergies flaring up due to the wind. I don't have bad allergies, but I fear I might develop some because of that.

Ronald Reagan.....the actor???
I have a daughter who grew up in Southern CA and can drive a stick better than I can who turned urban in SF and then moved to Boston and no longer has a driver's license. She claims it is not necessary. And I point out that is because she is expert at convincing others to support her transportation needs. I still love her though. She was off to the counter protest in Boston today and sent great pictures.

You can live in Las Vegas without driving. But it is counter cultural and sometimes painful. But it is doable and in the right set up you might break even compared to the cost of a car.

For the record June and July were not brutal. There was a string that was quite hot...but it was also very dry. And I will take that anytime versus the monsoon when it is 103 and the humidity gets ups there. In the summer Las Vegas is much nicer than Phoenix. It is not cooler. It is much drier.

I find SF fascinating in a dark way. Considered strongly moving to the peninsula in the glory days. But never SF. That would have been kind of like living in the dive neighborhood next to the high end neighborhood. What one wants is a good address in Palo Alto...not the Mission District.

Liked to eat there though it was never quite as good as southern CA.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:01 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Okay, picture yourself walking what in SF would be several blocks to a bus stop standing at a bus stop in the 113 degree heat waiting there for 15 minutes, getting on the bus, riding to your transfer stop, getting off, waiting another 15 minutes baking, getting on the bus again, then having to walk several more blocks to your destination. When you're done there, return.

Alternately, you can spend lots of money on Ubers. In point of fact Uber has made this easier, but, again, at a cost.

Yes, you could probably survive. But it that the only goal? Vegas is an interesting place, especially if you can get out and explore it. But having a car makes the VASTLY easier.

Quote:

While I understand it would be better to have a license and a car in LV, to say someone needs it is false.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Okay, picture yourself walking what in SF would be several blocks to a bus stop standing at a bus stop in the 113 degree heat waiting there for 15 minutes, getting on the bus, riding to your transfer stop, getting off, waiting another 15 minutes baking, getting on the bus again, then having to walk several more blocks to your destination. When you're done there, return.

Alternately, you can spend lots of money on Ubers. In point of fact Uber has made this easier, but, again, at a cost.

Yes, you could probably survive. But it that the only goal? Vegas is an interesting place, especially if you can get out and explore it. But having a car makes the VASTLY easier.

I have no intentions on ever taking the bus in Vegas. I already heard from a friend who lived in Vegas for several years without a car that it's horrible. As I stated in my previous post, I will most likely obtain a license and car once i'm there for a while but in the meanwhile (and that can be up to a year) I would use Lyft or Uber (and with my calculations, i'd still save money doing this). I only work in the office 3 days a week (sometimes less, depending on the situation), and have found a few grocery delivery services (similar to what I use currently). My best friend also has a car and only works a couple days a week and is home most of the time, so I really needed a ride somewhere, she would be there. Also, if there was an event that she wanted me to go to with her, she would just swing by and get me.

I've stated before when someone asked why Vegas. It's simple: It's close to California where visiting won't cost much, no state taxes, my best friend as well as 3 or 4 other really good friends live there and plan on staying a while and I've been introduced to a new circle of friends already (having friends there who are like family is important for a major move like this), the possibility of my job allowing the transfer which means i'd get my SF pay which puts me ahead of the curve a bit, and the affordability of apartments and houses which in my Bay Area eyes seem dirt cheap.

I of course tend to overthink things and was getting a bit anxious about the possibility of living there, which is why I made this post. But after some of the responses to this post and my last visit a couple weeks ago, I definitely feel better. I also got to see something in Vegas I had never seen in all my trips--RAIN. Heavy heavy rain at that. I got to watch from the comfort of my friend's home and boy you guys weren't kidding about the flooding. I saw some parts of Henderson with a huge puddles that my friend said to never drive over because you don't know how deep it is. And the rain only lasted about 30-40 mins and then the sun came back out. I thought that was pretty cool since I can't stand long rainy days.

Last edited by Forever_Researching; 08-20-2017 at 05:43 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 08:49 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
^
Are you moving with a job transfer?

Old 08-21-2017, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
^
Are you moving with a job transfer?
I'm trying to. It's in limbo right now but it's much more likely to be approved now than when I first asked at the beginning of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas