Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:27 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I'm not trying to be a nay-sayer, but wouldn't it only take a couple packages of the "buy one, get 2 free" steaks at Albertson's to quell this issue? Something to think about, anyways.

I think guard dogs may effectively deter mischievous highschoolers, but if its a career criminal, well....

That said, I worked in Information Security for several years and there is a phrase used in the industry - "defense in depth" - meaning multiple layers of defense. I think a large dog is a good addition to multiple other mechanisms of defense, but it wouldn't be my only line of defense.

Do they have adoption services for Police Academy dogs that didn't make the cut in Las Vegas? They will come to you well trained, and make excellent pets. I think you're playing with fire if you go the pit-bull route.
You have never owned a guard dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 03:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I'm not trying to be a nay-sayer, but wouldn't it only take a couple packages of the "buy one, get 2 free" steaks at Albertson's to quell this issue? Something to think about, anyways.

I think guard dogs may effectively deter mischievous highschoolers, but if its a career criminal, well....

That said, I worked in Information Security for several years and there is a phrase used in the industry - "defense in depth" - meaning multiple layers of defense. I think a large dog is a good addition to multiple other mechanisms of defense, but it wouldn't be my only line of defense.

Do they have adoption services for Police Academy dogs that didn't make the cut in Las Vegas? They will come to you well trained, and make excellent pets. I think you're playing with fire if you go the pit-bull route.
Some dogs are smarter than others. Mine will not take food from strangers unless I give my permission. However...if they were to 'find' food in the yard they might eat it. They hunt for lizards and other crawly things out there all the time. And they eat what they catch!

They spend little time outside, especially in the Summer. If they hear the doorbell or noises outside, it sounds like the hounds from Hell are just waiting for you to dare enter their territory.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:07 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
^
What breed and how big?

Old 07-21-2017, 11:29 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Get a Doberman.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:38 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
I've read several reports where convicted burglars were asked what was the #1 deterrent to break-ins, and the answer was always "a large dog". Example:

We asked 86 burglars how they broke into homes | KGW.com

You don't need to make your house a fortress, you just need to shift the risk onto your neighbors (sorry neighbors).

Old 07-22-2017, 11:00 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
If you live in Henderson, and if you have security cameras, consider:

C.A.P.T.U.R.E. - community video surveillance program

Quote:
C.A.P.T.U.R.E. Community Video Surveillance Program
The Henderson Police C.A.P.T.U.R.E. program acronym stands for Community Awareness Program Through Utilizing Residential (Electronic) Eyes. Video surveillance is one of the best methods for apprehending criminals and convicting suspects who are caught in the act of committing a crime. Video surveillance is a great crime deterrent and offers investigative leads in the event a crime does occur. The Henderson Police Department strongly encourages installing residential and business surveillance systems.

How does C.A.P.T.U.R.E. work?
The Henderson Police Department is committed to our partnership with residents. Many residents currently operate surveillance systems at their homes. As crimes occur nearby, they are not always aware that their system may have C.A.P.T.U.R.E.d information that could help solve the crime, thus keeping our community safer. In turn, the police are also not always aware who may have this potentially vital information. This program connects Henderson Police officers with citizens who have surveillance video in the event of a crime. As always, this program is 100% voluntary and citizens can opt-out at any time.

What are the Benefits of Registering Your Camera(s)?
By registering with the Henderson Police Department, we can quickly identify nearby cameras that may have C.A.P.T.U.R.E.d criminal activity. After registering your camera, you will receive a C.A.P.T.U.R.E. reflective sticker for your home to show your participation in the program. If a crime occurs in your neighborhood, you may be contacted by the Henderson Police Department. Police personnel would contact you to ask if you would examine the time frame in question for potential leads in the investigation. If your equipment was able to C.A.P.T.U.R.E. pertinent information, we would arrange a convenient way to retrieve the information from you.

Since you own the camera, your participation always remains 100% voluntary. Your information will be kept safe and secure; never made public. Only local law enforcement can view the surveillance video footage.

Registration
If you would like to participate in the program by providing your video surveillance footage and allow officers to contact you should a crime occur in or near where your cameras are installed, fill out the online form or request a C.A.P.T.U.R.E. hard copy form be mailed to your home.

Information provided to the Henderson Police Department regarding your camera systems will be for official use only. Your personal information will be confidential and not for public dissemination.
Apparently Las Vegas has a program as well: https://www.lvmpd.com/en-us/Pages/VegasSafeCam.aspx

Old 07-22-2017, 11:08 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I've read several reports where convicted burglars were asked what was the #1 deterrent to break-ins, and the answer was always "a large dog". Example:

We asked 86 burglars how they broke into homes | KGW.com

You don't need to make your house a fortress, you just need to shift the risk onto your neighbors (sorry neighbors).
One possible deterrant is a visible exterior water bowl for a large dog -- even if you don't have a dog.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
^
What breed and how big?
Doberman 80lbs now and will probably still fill out a bit more. Male. His teeth look ferocious! Natural tail and ears!

GSP 50lbs but she is a 17yo senior. She would bark a lot though. Still catches and eats pigeons!

Weimaraner 80lbs male. He is a very pretty blue. Natural tail.

They are all rescues and I trained them myself.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:19 PM

581 posts, read 456,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
^
What breed and how big?
Ours is a Presa Canario, 170 lbs. When I walk him, people cross to the opposite side of the street.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:21 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Your best defense: A BIG barking dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: