Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:19 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,056,992 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas really needs a decent ISP. I have the knowledge to operate one, but not the cash.

I wonder what it would take to obtain funding for a non-profit community oriented ISP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 10:24 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Las Vegas really needs a decent ISP. I have the knowledge to operate one, but not the cash.

I wonder what it would take to obtain funding for a non-profit community oriented ISP?

A lot of bribes. More bribes than cox can afford.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
A lot of bribes. More bribes than cox can afford.
Indeed, but in all seriousness, I used to work on a very large network here in LV. We leased dark fibre from Cox for about $600/mth per link, and the fibre is already in the ground virtually everywhere in the valley.

LV needs a game-changer FTTH ISP.. Use DWDM and put municipal & business services on it too. Startup costs would run into the tens of millions, but I think such an innovation would be very beneficial to the valley not only for the residents but will attract business interest as well.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:39 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:

Idon't think it is feasible to go head to head with Cox. They have that Coax into each house. What they did in our cul de sac was add another box. Now everything works great.

You know what they did technically EA? Does not seem any way another box would have improved things radically as the coax was not apparently moved unless they have conduits under there and pulled some to the new box.

The industry has clearly decided to go wireless at least in the urban areas. Maybe with fiber back bones but for distribution at the local level. I see a local antenna on about every block in a couple of years. Every street light maybe.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Idon't think it is feasible to go head to head with Cox. They have that Coax into each house. What they did in our cul de sac was add another box. Now everything works great.

You know what they did technically EA? Does not seem any way another box would have improved things radically as the coax was not apparently moved unless they have conduits under there and pulled some to the new box.

The industry has clearly decided to go wireless at least in the urban areas. Maybe with fiber back bones but for distribution at the local level. I see a local antenna on about every block in a couple of years. Every street light maybe.
We had this in DC in the 90s. The network was called "ricochet". It was not a non-profit and I don't think they ever became profitable. The old infrastructure is still hanging off the light poles to this day.

4G/5G fills the wireless gap already, but the ISPs are not providing enough backhaul for the cell providers to offer good service. There are already a couple of wISPs in Vegas, Stimulus Technologies is one of them, but the service is only line of sight within 1 mile of a repeater.

The trouble with wireless is that spectrum is shared, quickly saturated, and half duplex (unless you use AWS band like T-Mobile does). Also, it requires upgrading hardware at both ends to achieve higher speeds. If it runs in a backwards compatible mode, the whole channel must downgrade to the lowest common transmission standard for the duration of the slowest user's broadcast.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:36 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,399 times
Quote:
Indeed, but in all seriousness, I used to work on a very large network here in LV. We leased dark fibre from Cox for about $600/mth per link, and the fibre is already in the ground virtually everywhere in the valley.

LV needs a game-changer FTTH ISP.. Use DWDM and put municipal & business services on it too. Startup costs would run into the tens of millions, but I think such an innovation would be very beneficial to the valley not only for the residents but will attract business interest as well.
If there was a competitor that came in and launched fiber optic, cox would just mass deploy docsis 3.1 for gigabit speeds, which they are already doing I assume, then full duplex 3.1 if needed. i don't see a need for faster speeds than that, or a market that would demand speeds beyond that

Old 07-28-2017, 01:30 AM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

He just said he upgraded his exterior cables and swapped modems. So if the cables are new and the modem is new it's either out in the street or the cable inside his wall. A test jumper would prove one way or another. If everything works with the test jumper then the exterior, interior, or underground cable is/are bad. If it has the same problem with the test jumper it's in the box or feed line.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:02 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,735,966 times
TV an internet went down last night around midnight. Called the 800 number and got recording routine maintenance was being performed. Midnight seems early since many people are up at that time. This is not the first time.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
If there was a competitor that came in and launched fiber optic, cox would just mass deploy docsis 3.1 for gigabit speeds, which they are already doing I assume, then full duplex 3.1 if needed. i don't see a need for faster speeds than that, or a market that would demand speeds beyond that
Cox is already running docsis 3.1, and can't provide the bandwidth offered, nor can they provide reliable service. To achieve gigabit speeds on copper coax would likely require rip and replacement of all the ancient RG59 still in the ground and everyone's houses built before 2008 along with any intermediate distribution infrastructure back to the node, which is already served by fibre.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:55 AM
EA

Oh man, I encountered way too much rg59 when I was doing house calls. It sucked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas