Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 11:53 PM

45 posts, read 218,315 times

Advertisements

Both of my 2012 and 2014 vehicle acquisitions were lease deals. Better pricing/terms, inventory selection, and customer service. Several of my neighbors also will only purchase/lease in So. California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 08:44 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzx14 View Post
Document Fee - $80 - Limited to this amount by CA law at this time (7/2014). I agree NV charges $499 to $799. Pure dealer add-on - profit and I believe the NV dealers are in collusion on this fee as many states are.

This is purely a price pack by the dealer. The dealer is required by law to file the documentation on the car, so you are handing them cash to do something that they are legally required to do. I usually tell the dealer that I refuse to pay it or the deal is off.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:12 PM

78 posts, read 311,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzx14 View Post
This is my 2013 post but I believe is still accurate. Bought 2 new cars in So. Calif. 2012 and 2014 and both were very easy transactions. Pretty sure the process is the same for new and used. I also called the NV DMV prior to the the purchase(s) to confirm correct process.

I live in Henderson and bought a new car in California earlier this year. The CA dealer will write you a one way pass for $23 that permits you to drive the car to Nevada and if you were stopped you would show the pass to law enforcement. The one way pass is meant to permit you to drive from the selling dealer directly to the Nevada DMV and register the car. The DMV was closed by the time I got back, so I went and registered it the next day. At the DMV they checked the paperwork and I paid Nevada sales tax and registration only (no payment in CA except for the $23). I had some registration time credit left on my previous NV car that I sold so that amount was deducted from the total NV registration. The NV DMV gave me my NV plates and I was all done. Pretty easy actually.

I am planning to do something similar - buy a new car in SoCal and drive it and register it in Vegas
where I live.

The CA dealer wants to charge CA sales tax and in the other thread, it was mentioned that NV DMV
will take that into account and only charge the difference, if any. Is this still valid ?

I would much rather do it the way you did - pay the total sales tax to NV DMV at the time of registering.

Did you have to press the CA dealer to avoid charging CA sales tax ?

Old 08-27-2018, 11:22 PM

45 posts, read 218,315 times
Looking back on my two California car deals in 2012 & 2014, they were both leases so the sales tax is charged monthly as part of the ongoing monthly lease charges and not paid in full upfront as part of the car purchase which I believe is the situation for you. I would call the NV DMV and ask them about the sales tax payment from out of state vehicle purchases. They may even have it documented on their web site. Good luck and please post your outcome.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:05 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,749,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post
I am planning to do something similar - buy a new car in SoCal and drive it and register it in Vegas
where I live.

The CA dealer wants to charge CA sales tax and in the other thread, it was mentioned that NV DMV
will take that into account and only charge the difference, if any. Is this still valid ?

I would much rather do it the way you did - pay the total sales tax to NV DMV at the time of registering.

Did you have to press the CA dealer to avoid charging CA sales tax ?
When I bought my car in Oregon with plans to register in NV, the Oregon dealership asked me where the car would be registered. They then charged me the tax rate for Washoe County. Then the paperwork for the car was sent to Nevada at the DMV of my choice.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:29 PM

78 posts, read 311,516 times
Oregon does not sales tax so they are not sticklers on sales tax.

I believe CA does not have an agreement with other states, so they want to get their sales tax.
Looks like there is now way to avoid that.

At least NV recognizes the CA sales tax and will only collect the difference if the CA sales tax was lower than NV sales tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: