Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:03 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,014,888 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid this town won't learn until it's too late. The resorts and unions are costing conventions too much to come here. This is a smaller one of course, but it's not a good trend. Remember CES was thinking about leaving because it was too expensive.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/au...l-north-after/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 10:10 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
It was kind of only a matter of time before the snake finished eating its own tail.

The mob used to steal like crazy, yet still offerred a good value while spreading the cash around. MGM and the ( expletives) that call themselves Caesars have done us no favors.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:14 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times
......we had it coming and not only conventions. Tourists in general and conventioneers are complaining about high costs of food, drinks, entertainment, e.t.c.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:18 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
^^^ but yet they still come and we set records almost yearly. Now we have great dining and a wide variety of entertainment. The dining sucked when the mob was here. In fact it didn't get great till Steve Wynn opened the Bellagio.

Las Vegas is inexpensive compared to NYC. While we are 'expensive' there is value here or we wouldn't have so many per year.

These are 2 niche conventions, never heard of either. They don't bring in a lot of people, probably have a small budget etc.
Wonder what their attendance will be like in Reno?

CES is still here correct? When they leave or other big ones do, that is the time to worry. No need to chicken little it so soon.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:34 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Conventions come, conventions go. No big deal.

Low value-add conventions that leave open up space for higher value-add conventions.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:14 AM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
That's the market working. As Vegas gets more expensive it will lose business. If it loses enough business, they'll have to cut prices to compete.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:49 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Vegas has to be a value for your money destination. We can make money hand over fist but not if the customer's perception is that he is being nickel and dimed to death. They want some play for their money. More 'free' drinks. Paying to park hurts too.

Make Vegas fun again!

Old 08-04-2017, 12:14 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
What LV has going for it in terms of conventions is space,weather, and the aura. LVCC is the 3rd largest convention center in the country and can host some of the biggest trade shows around. Further, the winter weather gives it a benefit over places like McCormack in Chicago during peak convention season. Lastly, it's still Vegas. It still has that something that makes many people salivate - I'm gonna get drunk, I'm gonna party, I might get laid, and the company is gonna pay for it all!!

Chicago and Orlando have larger convention centers that could handle a show like CES but nobody wants to go to Chicago in January.

But the cost of attending a show can be a detriment. I know the show I attend every year costs me half of what it does in Las Vegas when it's in Orlando - and I don't gamble.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:53 PM

518 posts, read 764,156 times
Not a big loss. The USA population is continuing to grow (aka, more people turning 18 and 21 daily), and big sports/music events will continue to come to Vegas (boxing, MMA, concerts, comedy, etc.) The neon-glow/draw of the Strip is still very much alive. The Cosmo going up definitely helped increase that it seems.

Not sure if there are more hotels planned to expand the strip but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some more planned.

And there is another recent HUGE move that would continue to boost Vegas: The NFL brought a team there now so.....yeah no big loss

Old 08-04-2017, 01:01 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
^^^ agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Vegas has to be a value for your money destination. We can make money hand over fist but not if the customer's perception is that he is being nickel and dimed to death. They want some play for their money. More 'free' drinks. Paying to park hurts too.

Make Vegas fun again!
Or do you mean make Vegas free again?

Some customers aren't happy unless they get stuff for free. They are no longer customer's but freeloaders and aren't fooling anyone.

Times change. Would I go to a Wynn nightclub and drop several grand in one night for bottle service. Heck no, I'm not that customer. But there are plenty more that are. I'm not going to complain about it.

I was ticked off about paying for parking. And was going less to the strip. Caesars sent me a black card recently that I can show and get free parking. We eat there and shop there a lot. Think they noticed? Maybe everyone in town got one? Or everyone in my zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: