Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 09:08 PM

257 posts, read 1,444,560 times

Advertisements

i think they get the % of unemployed from people applying for unemployment benefits
if you get a job for $9/hr, you aren't going to cancel your benefits so you would still count as unemployed wouldn't you? I think they just deduct what you claim as income dollar for dollar don't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 09:31 PM

119 posts, read 284,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
For example, I was watching the news the other day and this idiot was complaining that he lost his job making $150,000 a year. He then said that the highest job offer that he could get now was $66,000 a year. He was to proud to take it and remains unemployed like he deserves. This is exactly the kind of person I have zero sympathy for.
I guess it's all relative. If I got an offer for 66K a year, you couldn't slap the smile off my face. But if I had been making 150K before it would seem like a slap in the face. I don't know what this guys back round was, but he must have had some sort of advanced degree. Myself, I would have taken it while I looked for something better. But that's just me. Congrats to you LVD. At least you're not like that whiner. You learned from your past mistake and you are making your own way. Work hard and you can't help but to succeed.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:41 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FESTER View Post
I guess it's all relative. If I got an offer for 66K a year, you couldn't slap the smile off my face. But if I had been making 150K before it would seem like a slap in the face. I don't know what this guys back round was, but he must have had some sort of advanced degree. Myself, I would have taken it while I looked for something better. But that's just me. Congrats to you LVD. At least you're not like that whiner. You learned from your past mistake and you are making your own way. Work hard and you can't help but to succeed.

Thanks, I feel the same way about the 66k a year job. That is a lot of money. I would be ecstatic to make that kind of money. To me that guy is a complete and utter moron to have not accepted it.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Being employed is one thing, making a living wage is something else. If you lose a job that pays $70,000 a year, you cannot keep your usual state of living on a job that pays $9.50 an hour. You can barely support yourself on that wage let alone support a family.
If someone is worth 70k a year, they will get it IMO.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:46 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
lvd, i am happy for you and i agree with you 100%!! If people are so desperate, they should take anything they can get.. Ill be there in a few weeks and heck to start out, whats the difference.. take the darn job.. i can eat mac and cheese

Old 06-20-2009, 09:46 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is the truth. I have had the same security guard job now for 2 and a half years. Even know I work 40 hours a week, the $9.50 an hour just is not cutting it for me. I really needed a second part time job. I got a DUI 3 years ago that just fell off this week, making me now eligible for delivery work again. I went out yesterday and applied for 2 pizza delivery jobs. I just got a call from one of them asking me if I can start Monday. Of course I accepted. This 11.2% unemployment is all crap. It just gives the lazy people who do not want to work something to complain about. I was worried with all the doom and gloom that I probably would not be able to get a second job. From now on, there will be absolutely no sympathy to anyone who says they are laid off or whatever. It only took one day for me to get a job, so it should be the same for everyone else.
What do you recommend in terms of seeking employment? Did you do all of your job seeking in person? Was any of it through the Internet?

As long as LV is associated so heavily with sin, I think it's going to be hard for the LV area to diversify its Economy to the level of other cities. Of course, it's not just all Real Estate and Gaming related, but they don't seem to have as broad a job market. With so much of it tied to discretionary spending, it gets hit really hard when times are rough and I don't think things will get (significantly) better anytime soon.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
What do you recommend in terms of seeking employment? Did you do all of your job seeking in person? Was any of it through the Internet?

As long as LV is associated so heavily with sin, I think it's going to be hard for the LV area to diversify its Economy to the level of other cities. Of course, it's not just all Real Estate and Gaming related, but they don't seem to have as broad a job market. With so much of it tied to discretionary spending, it gets hit really hard when times are rough and I don't think things will get (significantly) better anytime soon.
I found both positions on craigslist, but I put in the applications in person. The place that hired me gave me a short interview on the spot, but called me back today saying I have the job.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:29 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjimb View Post
I just pulled up the postings from parking. Granted this person blasted Vegas. But from what he said years ago, he is right on many accounts.

Parking is da man. An early warning system.
Actually he was not. Parking had a very specialized skill set. One that did not fit well in Las Vegas. And he wanted a full ride at his chosen field. He was willing to take a pay cut but wanted to do what he did.

See

Welcome to Las Vegas

Notice clause 6.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:37 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post

Good post, LV may be preceived as Sin City, partially because it sells, and the mystique of the "City" is another. LV is a service based economy, and the economy does not revolve around most service based incomes. Nots I said most.

If you travel around the valley, you will find very "well appointed" private residences, many FOR SALE. Many more residences, I might add than there are incomes to fill them. With that building boom came the masses of people all thinking that Vegas was a place where past mistakes are forgiven and dreams are realized.

There always has been, and always will be service related employment, however trying to survive, or better yet support a family could be quite the challenge. In today's economy, living on $10 an hour would be very tough....period.

Many good professionals have avoided the LV area based on quality of life issues for themself and children. The introduction of charter schools took some of that concern away, however some people simply elect not to raise their children in "Sin City".

The original poster suggested that the "crisis" was over and all's good. I don't mean to rain on that parade, but using the example of delivering pizza, especially if using his own vehicle, he might want to check with his insurance carrier. Nevada has some of the highest automobile insurance rates in the country. Using a private vehicle, for commercial purposes, can and might significantly change insurability. If hired as an independent contractor, that still may be defined as a commercial purpose.

I use that example, not to debate, but as a word to the wise. That particular job, could easily become a very expensive means to the end. In the event of a MVA, while in the act of delivering pizza, without adequate insurance could be devastating, financially.

I'm not in insurance, or real estate for that matter. I like to sleep at night.. My whole point is to.....BE CAREFUL

Old 06-20-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjimb View Post
WTF. What about those people that have marketing skills and STILL CAN'T FIND A JOB after 6 months. What about those 200,000 people that are looking for work?
They just do not really want to work. A lot of them lost their job, then went on unemployment and became lazy. That is why I have zero respect for anyone who is on unemployment. I am proud to say I have NEVER went on unemployment in my whole life. Whenever I lost a job, I immediately went out and got another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas