Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:33 PM

84 posts, read 360,103 times

Advertisements

1. No Jobs
2. No Jobs
3. No Jobs

Need I Say More.................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 08:02 PM

120 posts, read 390,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parking View Post
1. No Jobs
2. No Jobs
3. No Jobs

wrong, and wrong, and wrong again.... I think I have said this in like 10 posts, and it is definitely getting redundant... but here we go again...

with just the current mega-billion dollar high-rise projects under construction, like Echelon, City Center, Fountain Blue.... there will be 150,000 new jobs created through 2012.... 150,000 is a massive number of new jobs... that's the size of a small city!!!!!

Obviously, this guy is not up on what is going on, and that is OK. The media only reports bad news, typically, and all we hear is residential foreclosures. But we need the supply of homes, as these new jobs come down the pipeline. Right now is a lull... until 2009 when these mega projects start opening....

That is why this discussion board is great.. many people like to just shoot stuff out based on something they heard from someone else.. Im glad I can be in Vegas to put out accurate info, and I will continue to put out actual, factual info, based on what is really going on. I'd consider myself a resident expert... not being cocky, but I am due to years of experience and success in real estate and other investments.... Vegas is an interesting dynamic...

Old 03-13-2008, 09:12 PM

Default Oh by the way, reason number 4, Real Estates agents will say anything to make a sell.

Real estate agents will pump up the area with misguided information.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 PM

572 posts, read 1,684,124 times
Quote:
1. No Jobs
2. No Jobs
3. No Jobs

You know, I honestly felt bad for you and your situation. Not anymore.

Get over it. You couldn't find a job. You now have (supposedly) a very nice one in Califonia. Is it really necessary to come back and ***** and moan about it? Move on with your life.

Typical...

Old 03-13-2008, 09:32 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,409 times
Quote:

I am not in real estate, and your statement couldn't be any further from the truth. There are plenty of jobs in Vegas, I had several opportunities to choose from when I came out here 6 months ago. Even when I was laid off I had another job within one week.

Let's remember that while the city is growing by leaps and bounds that the number one industry is hospitality so the overwhelming majority will consist in this field; however, there are plenty of opportunities in other fields whether in sales, government, construction, etc. Anyone who wishes to relocate out here needs to spend some time exploring the job market just like going to any other city.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:20 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
My experience on this is people who move to Las Vegas without marketable skills (that pertains to the uniqueness of Las Vegas) will not do very well. I meet people all the time that move here and they usually have a job lined up. Companies will transfer them from other cities. I remember when PARKING posted his original thread, I was scratching my head because he was looking for an IT job in Las Vegas and he was already in a SF?? If your skill set match a city like SF which has a lot of IT jobs, then why even move to Las Vegas? Vegas isn't going to pay more than SF when it comes to IT jobs.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:33 PM

Okay now; it's true I do not live in Vegas any more. I now reside in San Francisco. It seems some of you remember postings I posted 6 months ago where I stated I couldn't find a job in Vegas. I had to leave. No job offers. Money was running low and I had a family to support. Making the move back to Frisco was the BEST THING I every did. Getting back to the topic, many of my friends who still reside in Vegas are unemployed now. Many of them are considering moving back to Cali. My point is that many people from different parts of the US, expect to land a job in a day. THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN. Many of you (real estate agents) who reply to postings, will provide misleading job, and housing info to members of this forum in hopes of landing a lead.

Beware.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:

FYI - Im not a real estate agent either, never was, and never will be.....

Old 03-13-2008, 11:47 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas_4u View Post
wrong, and wrong, and wrong again.... I think I have said this in like 10 posts, and it is definitely getting redundant... but here we go again...

with just the current mega-billion dollar high-rise projects under construction, like Echelon, City Center, Fountain Blue.... there will be 150,000 new jobs created through 2012.... 150,000 is a massive number of new jobs... that's the size of a small city!!!!!

Obviously, this guy is not up on what is going on, and that is OK. The media only reports bad news, typically, and all we hear is residential foreclosures. But we need the supply of homes, as these new jobs come down the pipeline. Right now is a lull... until 2009 when these mega projects start opening....

That is why this discussion board is great.. many people like to just shoot stuff out based on something they heard from someone else.. Im glad I can be in Vegas to put out accurate info, and I will continue to put out actual, factual info, based on what is really going on. I'd consider myself a resident expert... not being cocky, but I am due to years of experience and success in real estate and other investments.... Vegas is an interesting dynamic...
Of your 150,000 jobs City Center will be creating, it is estimated that 90% of them will be retail jobs. Traditionally the lowest paying jobs in America. Tell us all how 135,000 minimum wage jobs will do anything positive for this city. I see this as bringing it down even faster then it already is falling.

Do you know any body who can survive this high cost city making $6/hr? What about a duel income family where both earn $6/hr? $12/hr does not even buy you a rental in the getto here.

Whatever happens.....is anyones guess. It is yet to be learned. I would bet money on my theory though.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Okay now; it's true I do not live in Vegas any more. I now reside in San Francisco. It seems some of you remember postings I posted 6 months ago where I stated I couldn't find a job in Vegas. I had to leave. No job offers. Money was running low and I had a family to support. Making the move back to Frisco was the BEST THING I every did. Getting back to the topic, many of my friends who still reside in Vegas are unemployed now. Many of them are considering moving back to Cali. My point is that many people from different parts of the US, expect to land a job in a day. THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN. Many of you (real estate agents) who reply to postings, will provide misleading job, and housing info to members of this forum in hopes of landing a lead.

Beware.
This does not make sense... just because it didn't work out for a few, doesn't translate into doom and gloom here. Go online, and look at the completion dates of the multi-billion dollar projects under construction - such as Echelon, City Center, Fountain Bleu... etc. Vegas is growing fast, but they can only build so fast. There are 150,000 new jobs coming down the pipeline through 2012 just from that one sector - and the spillover creates more jobs. 150,000 is like the size of a small city! But they won't start opening until late 2009... so it's a little lull right now..... patience.

What Golifinnova posted above is right - i know dozens of people who lost their jobs, and got new jobs within a week. And, I also know at least 5 people that just moved to Vegas recently with nothing but a backpack, no jobs lined up. They all scored affordable, but nice remodeled condo rentals near the Strip for $500/month, and they all got jobs within 2 weeks......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas