Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 01:16 PM

294 posts, read 235,968 times

Advertisements

I am looking at the LV real estate market, and who knows, maybe the right property would come across. However, due to the immigration process, I can only visit the USA but not live there permanently.
Would you suggest that it is possible to keep a vacant house safe with good security system, for extended periods, e.g. 3 months at a time, or would you suggest that vacant homes can't be secured properly and it would not make sense to buy before living in LV permanently. I see that there are house watch companies out there visiting every week once or twice. Also I see that there are websites that offer free house sitters, but I don't think it is a good idea to give your house to someone you dont know at all. Also, I read that there are quite a few vacation home owners from Canada and Northen States that only come during the winter and leave their property vacant for the other 6 months. What is your opinion, can a house be properly secured for such long absence or would it be too risky? We are talking only about good areas in LV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 04:57 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
A guard gated community would be your best bet. Still doesn't solve the issue of what to do with your mail(USPS doesn't hold mail for longer than 1 month).

Try to get a property where the irrigation system and the interior plumbing work separately from each other. This allows you to shut off the interior plumbing while being able to have your lawn watered. This reduces potential water loss/damage for the interior of the property.

If you can't find a property that has these attributes, then try to have good friends/family check up on the house every so often. I don't see the point of paying a house sitter but some people do it.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
A guard gated community would be your best bet. Still doesn't solve the issue of what to do with your mail(USPS doesn't hold mail for longer than 1 month).
Thanks. I have also currently mail forwarding in place for any mail I get at my previous US address,
meaning USPS would forward to a mail agent who keeps the mail for me and scans each letter. Those services are available in LV.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:33 AM

15,823 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Why keep it vacant? Find out what the legal minimum term rental is, and put someone in there. Even if you charge a relatively low rent, the place isn't sitting empty and subject to vandalism/squatting, and you get at least a little income out of it.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:14 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
There is an alternative to ADT, for half the price, but I can't think of the name...but it is about 15 us per month for an alarm system. Upstairs is easier to secure, and you can put a steel security door in addition to your front door. The cost of an empty home are high in the US. IF I leave my condo in Thailand for five months, my electric bill is 26 cents per month...probably 100 times more in Las Vegas. Plenty of snowbirds have vacation homes without a problem.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:30 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,255 times
Condos are much easier to keep while vacant. No yard to take care of, some even have a building supervisor.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Why keep it vacant? Find out what the legal minimum term rental is, and put someone in there. Even if you charge a relatively low rent, the place isn't sitting empty and subject to vandalism/squatting, and you get at least a little income out of it.
Well, we would be 2 to 3 months in the home and 3 to 4 months outside. So i guess renting it out will be very hard.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Condos are much easier to keep while vacant. No yard to take care of, some even have a building supervisor.
If we buy a house it will have half an acre yard at minimum.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:56 PM

15,823 posts, read 14,463,105 times
With the various rental websites out there now,, this is a lot easier than it used to be. A lot will be how much you want to rent for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
Well, we would be 2 to 3 months in the home and 3 to 4 months outside. So i guess renting it out will be very hard.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:04 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,056,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
I am looking at the LV real estate market, and who knows, maybe the right property would come across. However, due to the immigration process, I can only visit the USA but not live there permanently.
Would you suggest that it is possible to keep a vacant house safe with good security system, for extended periods, e.g. 3 months at a time, or would you suggest that vacant homes can't be secured properly and it would not make sense to buy before living in LV permanently. I see that there are house watch companies out there visiting every week once or twice. Also I see that there are websites that offer free house sitters, but I don't think it is a good idea to give your house to someone you dont know at all. Also, I read that there are quite a few vacation home owners from Canada and Northen States that only come during the winter and leave their property vacant for the other 6 months. What is your opinion, can a house be properly secured for such long absence or would it be too risky? We are talking only about good areas in LV.
I wouldn't. My AC unit was lifted after being gone for only 2 weeks. The house next to me got squatters after being empty for about 3 months. There are groups from California that literally drive around looking for properties to squat/burgarlize. Until Metro and the County Commission can get their acts together and do something about it, I wouldn't recommend buying until you can occupy the residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: