Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,588 times

Advertisements

ok guys and gals I've spend a sew hours reading the forum and trying to get a feel for the Las Vegas area, in follow is my concerns.

I am a single dad traveling nurse with two teen aged girls and one pre-teen boy, with a one year assignment in the VA hospital in north Las Vegas on N Pecos between E centennial pkwy and Las Vegas betway.

my children depend on the school buses to get to and from school, does that area have a safe school? as my schedule are 12 hours shifts ( 5:45 am to 6:30 pm) .

Is that area safe for my kids to spend some time outdoors?

I've read that the Nellis area is dangerous but is there an area close by that would be Ok ?

don't want to spend a long time driving and not see my kids as we always have dinners together

Really looking forward to this assignment to experience the dessert environment from the northern woods ( temps here have been -45 with the wind chill factor and 22 to 28 inches of snow and still snowing as of March) we've enjoyed snowmobiling, skiing, ice fishing and even bear running, so it's time for something new .

all reply's are welcome so thank you for your inputs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,151,736 times
^^^^^
Schools are not the best but the area around the hospital and neighboring communities are pretty good and very quite. The area is full of raw undeveloped land, desolate desert, and parks. If anything, your teens may be bored with lack of amenities for youth, besides the nice YMCA near the hospital.

That area is full of retired or active duty military by the way. As you can see, there isn't much development around the hospital, but there are lots of businesses popping up. I live in the area and pass the hospital twice each day.

Posted from Qualcomm QCP-2700

Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,588 times
hey von949, thanks for the info, are all the schools " not the best" or simply the one in that district (for all I know the kids always attended what they call the in-district zone area in order to have transportation to school) .

how bout housing? the agency provides housing but maybe I should consider finding my own and get reimbursed, ( they always try to house you within a very short distance of the assignment) being surrounded by retire or active military is not a concern ( 22 years of active duty me and the kids have been in a few military installations and personnel)

I am much more concerned with seedy individuals ( gang bangers, dope dealers basically scums ).

how bout a boundary nearby with a decent school and decent apartments I mean I know I said I wouldn't want a long drive, but is there anything family oriented area with in a 15-30 min. drive? I've read that the traffic is not that bad but I don't think is feasible to drive across town 1-1/12 hrs considering time and gas
\
thanks again anymore chimes I take all I can get thanks

Last edited by gaucho100; 03-20-2013 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-20-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho100 View Post
hey von949, thanks for the info, are all the schools " not the best" or simply the one in that district (for all I know the kids always attended what they call the in-district zone area in order to have transportation to school) .

how bout housing? the agency provides housing but maybe I should consider finding my own and get reimbursed, ( they always try to house you within a very short distance of the assignment) being surrounded by retire or active military is not a concern ( 22 years of active duty me and the kids have been in a few military installations and personnel)

I am much more concerned with seedy individuals ( gang bangers, dope dealers basically scums ).

how bout a boundary nearby with a decent school and decent apartments I mean I know I said I wouldn't want a long drive, but is there anything family oriented area with in a 15-30 min. drive? I've read that the traffic is not that bad but I don't think is feasible to drive across town 1-1/12 hrs considering time and gas
\
thanks again anymore chimes I take all I can get thanks
That particular area is too far for the gang bangers and dope dealers. That is inner city issues. The VA hospital area is way on the out skirts of the valley. Overall the entire school district has issues. Check these threads out.

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...las-vegas.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...-hospital.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...egas-near.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ar-new-va.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...just-took.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...hborhoods.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...s-89081-a.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...-bad-area.html

Old 10-06-2013, 10:44 AM

371 posts, read 940,442 times
just read about this yesterday... The most dangerous states in America

Old 10-06-2013, 11:47 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
It is a statistical fluke. The cities of Las Vegas and Reno quite dominate Nevada. So what you are doing is comparing one large city and one small city to other states.

Note that Henderson is actually a very low crime city for cities above 200,000. In the best ten.

Overall Las Vegas is in the middle third of US cities above 200,000. Not good enough to feature but too good to do anything about. If one corrected for the tourist population LV would be at about the national average for cities above 200,000.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:03 PM

6 posts, read 7,755 times
There are crimes that go unreported in vegas, in fact if people knew how bad it was they might not want to visit.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbiker221 View Post
There are crimes that go unreported in vegas, in fact if people knew how bad it was they might not want to visit.
There are unreported crime everywhere. You have some insight as to why Las Vegas is worse than others? Kindly cite a source other than your opinion.

And this view that crime is everywhere in Las Vegas is also absurd. The crime rates by zip code vary over 1000 to 1.

So yes crime is everywhere...but it is more likely by more than 1000 in some areas then in others. Actually by neighborhood it is probably close to 10,000 to 1.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:10 AM

371 posts, read 940,442 times
any bad areas to avoid getting a house or hang around in Summerlin and Henderson? thanks a lot

and areas that I should just avoid in the general Vegas? thanks

Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
any bad areas to avoid getting a house or hang around in Summerlin and Henderson? thanks a lot

and areas that I should just avoid in the general Vegas? thanks

Sent from watch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas