Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 09:32 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,986,577 times

Advertisements

A friend's fiancée's mom here in San Antonio was at the concert. She escaped with minor scrapes and bruises from climbing over a fence to get away. She's home safe now. But goodness, gracious, what a horrible situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 09:59 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,633,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Probably to help people find their way out. I imagine no one really fully had comprehended what was happening at that point. Many still thought it was firecrackers.
Loud concert may have drowned out the gunfire noise, add in crowd noise and drinking all day and surely it took some people time to notice though the singer and his band running off the stage would have been a huge sign something is going wrong.

Worst part would be trying to figure out where to run, obviously echo off the buildings would confuse some where the gunfire was originating from. Some folks crawling on the ground clearly indicate they did not know the gunfire was coming from above.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:34 AM

8,364 posts, read 7,553,732 times
Even off duty police and military vets attending the concert couldn't initially tell where the gunfire was coming from.

Turning on the floodlights at least gave people a chance to see where they were going. You can't have 20,000 people running in a panic in the dark. There likely would have been casualties from trampling if all the lights had been turned off.

I really feel for everyone who was there; I don't think any of us who weren't can really imagine what it was like.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:42 AM

6,330 posts, read 7,675,157 times
My best friend, (I'm currently staying at her house while mine is on the market), is a middle school teacher here in the Antelope Valley and knows one of the kindergarten teachers in the district who attended the concert and was shot. She leaves behind two small children and a husband. Sad and tragic.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 10-03-2017 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 10-03-2017, 11:51 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,906,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
My best friend, (I'm currently staying at her house while mine is on the market), is a middle school teacher here in the Antelope Valley and knows one of the kindergarten teachers in the district who attended the concert and was shot. She leaved behind two small children and a husband. Sad and tragic.
Very sad! This one tragedy will touch the lives of thousands of people.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:09 PM

322 posts, read 273,309 times
to think I was just there last week, I stayed at the Luxor, if I had decided to go to Vegas this week instead of last week, I can only imagine what it was like inside the Luxor while all this was happening cuz there's a direct walkway from Mandalay to the Luxor

Old 10-03-2017, 01:13 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,075,130 times
http://psychiatryonline.org.psychiat....9781615371099

Old 10-03-2017, 01:15 PM

9,478 posts, read 12,217,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
STOP IT! This thread is not the place for discussion of gun rights, gun control, Second Amendment rights, instruments of mass destruction, religion, partisan politics, the shifting of the societal paradigm, or other off topic comments. Some of them have been incredibly insensitive.

People are hurting! Many are dead. Some are still dying, despite the best efforts of skilled medical providers. Thousands of people directly affected are trying to make sense of the insanity and it will be years before they can put their lives back together again.

Please don't cause this thread to be closed. Stay 'on topic' and take the other stuff to the appropriate fora.
Just want to repeat this. This is a sensitive subject, but this thread will be closed if it goes off topic again. If you are unsure if your post is off topic for this thread, please see the first line of volosong's post quoted above. If it fits within those guidelines, DON'T POST IT.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:17 PM

8,364 posts, read 7,553,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I haven’t read all the posts, but to me, the most chilling thing about this is that NOBODY could see it coming.
A regular guy just snaps. There is no way to protect ourselves against that.
We all just have today, guys, so treat each day as precious.
I think there is more we need to do than that. There is evil in the world -- it tugs at everyone, trying to find people who are susceptible to its pull.

The way to lessen evil's power is for each of us to turn to other human beings with kindness and respect whenever we can, even when it isn't easy to do so. We can all learn how to do this from the people who did just that on Sunday night, even when it put their own lives at risk. They lessened the power of evil in their actions.

We may never be in a position to do as much to help others as they did, but we each have other opportunities every day to be compassionate with others in our thoughts, words, and deeds, even if it is only on a small level.

Evil hates compassion and kindness.

Ultimately, we can't stop evil, but in the battle between good and evil, the more people who remember this and act upon it, the less power evil will have over us.

And, I would also like to give both Volosong and Elletea two thumbs up for reminding us that we have more important work to do than win political debates. Thank you both, guys, for all that you do.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:18 PM

15,746 posts, read 14,350,363 times
This is all well and good. But the shooter was never identified previously as having any form of mental illness.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas