Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,578 times

Advertisements

Hi There,

I was hoping I could get some help; I'm currently living in the UK and I'm planning on immigrating to Las Vegas. Why? For many reasons that are not important. The issue I'm having is simply that I have no idea where to start! Some kind of 'Idiots complete guide to immigrating to the US with forms and advice' would be fantastic!

What I have so far is this;

I have an aunt and a cousin that lives in Vegas that would house me and enable me to have an address. I think this will help me, but I'm stumped as to what to do from there. I can afford to get there, and I believe I can stay for 90 days.

Family Based Immigration - This looks like my best option so far. My sister and her family are full US citizens. She could sponsor me, but she currently lives in the UK, I don't know if this makes any difference. I understand she'll have to complete a I-130 form first. Anyone know how long that takes to process and much it'll cost to file?

Employment Based Immigration - Not sure about this. Is it easier to GET to Vegas first and THEN try to find a job that offers HB1 or HB2 work visas? I'm not even sure if I'm eligable for a work visa... I'm well skilled in IT, but without qualifications to show for it. I have one Microsoft Certified Professional qualification on top of some Level 3 NVQs and average GCSEs.

Work visa's are also temporary, right? If the employer terminates your employment, thats time up for you, byebye off back home again. I really need something more permanant...

Marriage - even more of a grey area... I guess once you marry someone with a US Citizenship, you then become eligible for Immediate Relative Immigration. How hard is it to persue this route?

Probably not the best idea of course, but would finding someone who'd be willing to do a marriage trade be possible? IE: They get UK citizenship, and I'd get US... I would assume you'd have to prove that it isn't a sham marriage (which it would be) and how hard would that be? What is the criteria for 'not a sham marriage'?

Too many questions and my head hurts... any help would be VERY much appreciated, I'm out of my depth here. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 11:56 AM

572 posts, read 1,683,806 times
Vegas surpisingly has a lot of people who have moved here from the UK. I would suggest searching this forum for "UK" or "UK to Vegas" and look there. If not, there are links to the memebers who have moved here. You may want to consider sending one of them a PM.

Hope that helps. Best of luck in your move!

Old 03-18-2008, 02:09 PM

38 posts, read 139,627 times
Good luck with the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service). It is like the Registry of Motor Vehicles only much much much worse.

I have lived here 12 years and I am still (by choice) a permanent resident. I am sure some things have changed since I first filed for paperwork, but I had to get married and THEN file for residency. First we had to apply for the Fiance Visa. We had to supply papers, letters, pictures, answer silly questions about our relationship to get that far.

After we married, there was a two-year 'probation' period where they [I suppose] are weeding out the people that just wanted to come here and are using the person they married to get their residency.

I have no idea about being sponsored, I think your relative has to have a lot of money?

As far as working here, when I arrived we were told that you could only get a work-permit if you could prove you could do the job better than an American. So, unless you have some special skill,or are transferred here... I am interested to know what has changed there.

Good luck anyway!

Old 04-12-2010, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,912 times
Iam looking for a job in Vegas and some where to stay .can some help iam from the uk london thank you.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
yeh sure I'll hire you n you can stay with me....

Old 04-13-2010, 09:55 AM

508 posts, read 1,021,802 times
whatever the immigration people are way nicer then then that stupid &^%$ vegas DMV...

Immigration is easy.... you just have to have all your proper documentation.... and it doesnt take a long time you just have to read a bunch about what you need and when...

My husband's immigration case was a breeze and went by so fast and the people at the USCIS are so awesome and helpful i think i called 100 times asking about what i need and how the process works. and NVC wasnt that bad either...

I went to my husbands immigration interview and they didnt even need me there. my husband is a riot though he can make anyone laugh he almost had that lady in tears she was laughing so hard.

but to answer your question for marriage based you need proof that its a real marriage... documentation would be co-bank accounts, both persons names on a house, joint credit cards, vacation pictures of you two together. some embassys have even asked for emails to and from the family and the "other" spouse just to make sure the family accepts the wife or husband as part of the family. (i spent months searching the net for ANYTHNING that they might request and placed everything includeing copies of all documents submitted and extra org. in a binder and catagorized them and tabbed them just to be able to find them quickly.)

Immigration isnt as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be... and you would have to check the USCIS website to make sure because i am not sure as far as immigration on a work visa... but they have EVERYTHING you need to know on that website and can even check the status of your petiton on it.

for family based immigration there is a rating scale and if your married NO you do not get automatic sponsorship and yes your sponsor needs to live in the US. a US person living in the UK doesnt really matter.

thats also on the USCIS website.... married to a US citizen has the higher priorty then a brother of a resident... but it does put you higher then some others...

your waiting time will depend on how you file... but seriously its not bad at all. :-)

by the way IF IF IF (and i am not saying you should - thats the reason normal people have to work so hard to bring the people we really care about over is because of people like THAT) get married to exchange citizenships... that would really really hurt your case if they found out your "sponsor" was trying to get the UK citizenship....

Old 04-13-2010, 10:02 AM

508 posts, read 1,021,802 times
oh but what i was going to say.... Vegas DMV now they are evil.... I cant even get an appointment for a driving test and they dont give a &^%% about nothing. if you ask a question they do everything in their power to NOT answer and NOT help and the only thing they can say is wait here from 5am (they open at 8 or 9) till dusk and maybe we will see you... i know that totally ruins your whole vacation from Iraq but we dont give a &*#$

Gr-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r

Even the IRS is nicer then they are....

Old 04-13-2010, 11:24 AM

317 posts, read 1,003,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroLoki View Post
Hi There,

Family Based Immigration - This looks like my best option so far. My sister and her family are full US citizens. She could sponsor me, but she currently lives in the UK, I don't know if this makes any difference. I understand she'll have to complete a I-130 form first. Anyone know how long that takes to process and much it'll cost to file?

Too many questions and my head hurts... any help would be VERY much appreciated, I'm out of my depth here. Please help!
see:

VISA BULLETIN FOR APRIL 2010 --->

FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCES---->
Fourth: Brothers and Sisters of Adult Citizens: 65,000, plus any numbers not required by first three preferences --->
see TABLE--->
01MAR00 (its mean - today they just star to work on aplications dated 01/Mar/2000)

Visa Bulletin for April 2010 (http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4747.html - broken link)

EMPLOYMENT-BASED
H1B1 visa

Old 04-13-2010, 11:44 AM

317 posts, read 1,003,057 times
Also

USCIS (former INS):

USCIS Home Page

family

USCIS - Family of U.S. Citizens

Working in the US

USCIS - Working in the United States

Old 04-14-2010, 12:42 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,643 times
Its hard to get to Usa legally the fake marriage is possible but its not an easy option ;p
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: