U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:09 PM

560 posts, read 2,081,007 times

Advertisements

Ok, so yesterday I have my Corned beef boiling away on the stove when all of a sudden the pilot light goes out on the burner. Never happened before, but the windows are open so maybe the wind??? Try to relight and I notice that no gas is coming out. I call my husband and he says to try the dryer, also gas, and what do you know, that isn't getting hot either. So, I call SW gas and I am told that our service was turned off for non payment. Welllllll, I have always paid our bill in full and never late. After a quite extensive discussion with the representative we discover that their service person disconnected the wrong house. We have 4 or 5 houses on our road that our in foreclosure and our house numbers are 3305 and they were supposed to disconnet 3505, which is in foreclosure. Not sure how they made that mistake but we did have our gas back on within and hour.

Now, today, I am happily watching the View, (I am on Spring Break!!!) when all of a sudden all the power goes off. Once again, I check the street to see if it is the whole neighborhood or just us and I catch the Nevada Power guy in the driveway. I flag him down and ask him what's up?? He looks surprised and says that the house is supposed to be empty. Right away I realize what has once again happened. I try to explain and he says he has to call it in, well I can hear him on the radio and he trys to explain that they may have the wrong house. Well, this lady is telling him that she is right and that the power has to stay off. I am furious at this point and the poor service guy doesn't know which way to turn. He finally leaves, WITH THE POWER STILL OFF and I go in the house and call Nevada Power. Welllllll, I end up having to take my mortgage papers down there along with my bill and credit card statement to prove to them that they have the wrong house. It turns out that somehow the numbers of the houses were transposed in their computer system and so mine was cut.

I am the first person to admit that mistakes can be made, however, the attitudes of the utility companies yesterday and today made me feel like I was caught in some type of twilight zone having to prove who I am and where I live. It is now 6:00 PM and I am still sitting here without power because, even though it was their error, they have until 8:30 tonight to fix it. If I miss American Idol someone is going down!!!!

Hopefully, the water department doesn't show up tomorrow
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 08:16 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,493,768 times
I feel for you. It's tough being a victim of collateral damage. Hopefully the banks (the real culprits here, probably a typo on their end) get their stuff together.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:50 PM

12,804 posts, read 25,699,668 times
i feel for you too, i just bought my house and rec'd keys.. realtor said call the utilities within 7 days.. on 3rd day, while taking a shower, my electric cut off.. i called.. argued the whole nine yards, the truck is down the street, have perfect credit etc.. no luck, earliest for turn on was the next day.. i had to stay at the Plaza hotel in downtown.. incidentally not bad for $30 but what a hassle!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:54 PM

15,756 posts, read 35,653,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
Ok, so yesterday I have my Corned beef boiling away on the stove when all of a sudden the pilot light goes out on the burner. Never happened before, but the windows are open so maybe the wind??? Try to relight and I notice that no gas is coming out. I call my husband and he says to try the dryer, also gas, and what do you know, that isn't getting hot either. So, I call SW gas and I am told that our service was turned off for non payment. Welllllll, I have always paid our bill in full and never late. After a quite extensive discussion with the representative we discover that their service person disconnected the wrong house. We have 4 or 5 houses on our road that our in foreclosure and our house numbers are 3305 and they were supposed to disconnet 3505, which is in foreclosure. Not sure how they made that mistake but we did have our gas back on within and hour.

Now, today, I am happily watching the View, (I am on Spring Break!!!) when all of a sudden all the power goes off. Once again, I check the street to see if it is the whole neighborhood or just us and I catch the Nevada Power guy in the driveway. I flag him down and ask him what's up?? He looks surprised and says that the house is supposed to be empty. Right away I realize what has once again happened. I try to explain and he says he has to call it in, well I can hear him on the radio and he trys to explain that they may have the wrong house. Well, this lady is telling him that she is right and that the power has to stay off. I am furious at this point and the poor service guy doesn't know which way to turn. He finally leaves, WITH THE POWER STILL OFF and I go in the house and call Nevada Power. Welllllll, I end up having to take my mortgage papers down there along with my bill and credit card statement to prove to them that they have the wrong house. It turns out that somehow the numbers of the houses were transposed in their computer system and so mine was cut.

I am the first person to admit that mistakes can be made, however, the attitudes of the utility companies yesterday and today made me feel like I was caught in some type of twilight zone having to prove who I am and where I live. It is now 6:00 PM and I am still sitting here without power because, even though it was their error, they have until 8:30 tonight to fix it. If I miss American Idol someone is going down!!!!

Hopefully, the water department doesn't show up tomorrow
Want to have a little fun? Go after them. They are for instance required to give you ten days notice before they interrupt service.

I would figure out how many hours were consumed in the activities to get power back on then go down and demand a credit of $50 an hour for the time spent. I would also file a complaint with the PUC requesting the same sum.

If they don't buy it right away I would keep a record of the time spent and continue to increase the amount involved. Keep detail records. Go to the public utilities commission site for some views on all this.

The first thing you do is go to the office and demand the credit for the time you have spent. When turned down demand a supervisor. They are required to provide one. Explain what has happened and what you want. They won't give it to you but they will likely provide you with forms to make a claim. Keep track of all your time.

You get the idea...

In the end game take them to small claims court. Bet the bill is upward of 3,000 by then. Interestingly enough I bet they settle at that point. If not you go a good shot at winning at least partially. They suffer from dirty hands..they violated the law when they turned you off without proper notification. So you are pretty much entitled to damages.

Note that this is a hobby project. In the end you won't make 20 an hour. But it is interesting and you will meet lots of people.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 PM

oh so now the water department, when i got the keys to my new house, water was off, called the water company, they said water was on, the valve in my garage was on.. they charged $15 to come out and turn the dohickey in the street, so then "how was my water on?"

Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
oh so now the water department, when i got the keys to my new house, water was off, called the water company, they said water was on, the valve in my garage was on.. they charged $15 to come out and turn the dohickey in the street, so then "how was my water on?"
Been there. If there was no lock on the "dohickey in the street" it was your fault. If there was a lock it was their fault.

Damn dohickeys...always cause trouble.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 PM

i was brought up that you should never touch a dohickey,

Old 03-18-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i was brought up that you should never touch a dohickey,

Yup...grows hair on your palms.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:27 PM

they should have told me where the dohickey was and what kind of dohickey i would need to open the dohickey. and once i got the dohickey opened what to do with whatever dohickey i would find inside.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:34 PM

120 posts, read 361,519 times
Don't sweat it, it was an honest mistake somewhere, people and companies make mistakes... it will all be straightened out. Just make sure it gets corrected, and all will be ok..... it's all ok people.... everything is going to be ok.... life is good, breathe in breathe out......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas