Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 11:13 AM

6 posts, read 4,906 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone, new to the forums here

Let me get right down to the point by saying that I'm a North-European who has a chance of working in Las Vegas, but I am very worried about Nevada's history with nuclear weapons testing and the obvious fallout.

Does anyone know the facts because from my online research I cannot find anything really conclusive? Source A says X and source B says Y and so forth. I've read about the cloud mostly spreading Eastward (which is tragic enough) and the test site being located 100 or so kilometers North-West from Vegas, but I don't believe all the jive as 100 clicks are nothing when it gets to nukes so I find it very hard to believe Vegas didn't suffer in any way.

I would like to know what to expect before any proceedings because moving from Europe all the way to Vegas is a big step. I want to permanently move Stateside very, very much but don't take pollution lightly. Air/water quality, food safety etc matter a great deal to me.

Can anyone tell me what the real deal is with Las Vegas, because TBH I'm scared crapless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 11:24 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Most of the fallout from the old test site went North to Utah. Those are the people who were exposed, other than the folks that actually worked there. The food and water here is quite safe. Cross that off your list of worries.

Ps. I've been here so long that I'm part of the dirt, not some recent transplant from out of state trying to be a cheerleader.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:12 PM

6,746 posts, read 3,363,151 times
Nuclear fallout would be about the last thing to be worried about living here.

I traveled here many many times since 1979 and finally moved here this fall. I can honestly say that never once have I ever even thought about that.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
The last weapons testing in NV was back in 1962. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada_Test_Site

It's been 55 years, enough time that if we were going to suffer dire effects here, we would know it by now. And as NLVgal said, most of the fallout went north and east of the Las Vegas valley.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:17 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
More like 165 kilometers. Virtually no Las Vegas fallout. Been long enough that any unforseen health problem would have surfaced. Chicago got more fallout then Las vegas.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:48 PM

79 posts, read 99,880 times
Just don't talk back to the Mutants and keep your respirator mask on when you're outside and you'll be fine really.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:49 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
Back when, Scoop talked about having his water tested, and finding uranium in it.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:55 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Back when, Scoop talked about having his water tested, and finding uranium in it.
That is not fallout. That is the contribution of the mountains feeding the Colorado. That is the water that feeds the southwest and is used for much of the produce grown in the US.

The local aquifers are fed with 10,000 year old water from upwind of the test area.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:11 AM

799 posts, read 708,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Did he sell it to the Russians and get rich? (sorry, I couldn't resist!!)

Old 11-16-2017, 07:19 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,667,281 times
Nothing scientific in my response here but I would me much more concerned about cancer in old industrial cities like Houston and Chicago for example. I met more cancer patients in my first 6 months of working in the west Houston suburbs than I have met since 1998 here...no lie and not at all an exaggeration.

I'm a bit of an arm chair environmentalist and while I have no belief that the test site is this completely benign pristine area and no amount of money could get me to work there I don't see any noticable impact from it either. Trust me when I say I tend to run on the alarmist side of these issues in general. I believe when environmental issues at hand one needs to look at the big picture. We don't have the massive volume of industrial and agricultural runoff that actively burdens many other American cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas