Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 08:42 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
And no, being fat should not be a disability.

I used to be quite a bit heavier than I am now. I had a doctor harping on me about how I could get a disability placcard (I wasn't THAT big) and how nice it would be to have one etc. The first time he suggested it, I looked at him like he had two heads. I was so confused and kept asking if there was some medical thing he wasn't telling me that made me disabled. I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughie View Post
But here in NV, the proprietor has no right to even question the validity of these animals, seems wrong. .
I think there absolutely should be an ID card or something people with these legitimate dogs must carry that says they are an official handler of a service dog... something like that. It doesn't have to list their disability or even say they have one, just that they are permitted by some authority to have the animal with them at all times.

Make it harder for the fakers to fake it. It's a shame.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 08:46 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Truthfully I don't very often get to park in a handicapped spot because they are always FULL!
I hope you get well soon.

There are two reasons those handicapped spots are always full: Scofflaws who are not disabled but for whatever reason have a placard, and in certain areas around Las Vegas/Henderson, there are very high concentrations of senior citizens, who in turn have a higher rate of disability per capita due to age related illnesses.

Unfortunately, we have too many of the former.

And then we have lifted trucks with disabled license plates like this one, where no elderly or disabled person could climb in or out:

Old 12-20-2017, 09:05 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Correct. There are many many serious disabilities not apparent to the casual observer. Seizure disorders, for example. And if you think panic disorders don't qualify: you haven't had one.
True -- and not to minimize their severity, but but should a panic disorder qualify for handicapped parking? I assume the law allows it now, and if so, that law should be changed.

In the real world, handicapped parking is a scarce resource, and every person who has a seizure disorder but is able to walk long distances without effort who parks in a scarce handicapped spot takes that spot away from someone with a severe physical handicap who cannot walk long distances.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:38 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
True -- and not to minimize their severity, but but should a panic disorder qualify for handicapped parking? I assume the law allows it now, and if so, that law should be changed.

In the real world, handicapped parking is a scarce resource, and every person who has a seizure disorder but is able to walk long distances without effort who parks in a scarce handicapped spot takes that spot away from someone with a severe physical handicap who cannot walk long distances.
Ah. Yes. But I was referring to the service dog issue (thread topic, and all that) not handicapped parking with regard to seizure and panic disorders.

It makes for a reasonable discussion, but I would point out that there are variations of conditions that make this issue more complex to consider than surface observations might beg.

Example: dystonia is a disorder of the nervous system that causes involuntary, often painful and debilitating muscle contraction and cramping. There are a number of variations of dystonia. Some are congenital from birth, others are caused by brain trauma (accidents, war head injuries, etc) ... some are persistent ... some are episodic. While not widespread, it is far more common than you would think unless you experience it yourself or a loved one / friend suffers. If late on-set type, due to trauma, and episodic in nature, the casual observer would never know the affliction was present. A person with this kind of disorder can look perfectly healthy and even be athletic. Yet, struck with an episode - perhaps while shopping in a mall, for example - the afflicted will feel the seizure developing and want/need to get to a quiet, private, secure space to rest and relax muscles for indeterminate time periods until able to function again. The closer s/he is to their car, the better.

A very close buddy of mine, a Vietnam vet, endured multiple closed head injuries that resulted in this condition as well as 65% hearing loss and damage to internal organs. He is basically healthier than most anyone else I know and looks terrific. You'd never know he is legally deaf and episodically dystonic with tremor that severely affects his fine motor control when in episode. He has a VA authorized service dog to block interference for him and maintain calm confidence when he is vulnerable.

Just one example of many kinds of hidden disabilities well served by trained dogs ... and reason for convenience of parking even though he appears very healthy.

Point is: can't judge a book by its cover.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:09 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
Nothing worse than a dog smoking in public

ROFL!! Thank you for my first big laugh of the day!!

Old 12-20-2017, 11:16 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Quote:
I hope you get well soon.

There are two reasons those handicapped spots are always full: Scofflaws who are not disabled but for whatever reason have a placard, and in certain areas around Las Vegas/Henderson, there are very high concentrations of senior citizens, who in turn have a higher rate of disability per capita due to age related illnesses.

Unfortunately, we have too many of the former.

And then we have lifted trucks with disabled license plates like this one, where no elderly or disabled person could climb in or out:

Thanks! So far I'm doing really well and feeling good! Work isn't even too bad although I worried about it the first few days. And, with reason! lol

It sometimes feels like Retirement Central where I live. We have MANY retirees here and plenty of physically handicapped as well.

That truck is ridiculous but I see plenty like it around here. I call them "ego wagons". lol Need a ladder to get in and out!

Old 12-20-2017, 12:21 PM

496 posts, read 365,587 times
Quote:
Yeah, she was talking to the bird and would turn and kiss the damn thing.
Looked like the bird was pecking body lice off the driver. The driver did have a poop towel.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:23 PM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Ah. Yes. But I was referring to the service dog issue (thread topic, and all that) not handicapped parking with regard to seizure and panic disorders.

It makes for a reasonable discussion, but I would point out that there are variations of conditions that make this issue more complex to consider than surface observations might beg.

Example: dystonia is a disorder of the nervous system that causes involuntary, often painful and debilitating muscle contraction and cramping. There are a number of variations of dystonia. Some are congenital from birth, others are caused by brain trauma (accidents, war head injuries, etc) ... some are persistent ... some are episodic. While not widespread, it is far more common than you would think unless you experience it yourself or a loved one / friend suffers. If late on-set type, due to trauma, and episodic in nature, the casual observer would never know the affliction was present. A person with this kind of disorder can look perfectly healthy and even be athletic. Yet, struck with an episode - perhaps while shopping in a mall, for example - the afflicted will feel the seizure developing and want/need to get to a quiet, private, secure space to rest and relax muscles for indeterminate time periods until able to function again. The closer s/he is to their car, the better.

A very close buddy of mine, a Vietnam vet, endured multiple closed head injuries that resulted in this condition as well as 65% hearing loss and damage to internal organs. He is basically healthier than most anyone else I know and looks terrific. You'd never know he is legally deaf and episodically dystonic with tremor that severely affects his fine motor control when in episode. He has a VA authorized service dog to block interference for him and maintain calm confidence when he is vulnerable.

Just one example of many kinds of hidden disabilities well served by trained dogs ... and reason for convenience of parking even though he appears very healthy.

Point is: can't judge a book by its cover.
Are Chihuahuas and Malti-poo's commonly pressed into this sort of service?

Old 12-20-2017, 03:28 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Are Chihuahuas and Malti-poo's commonly pressed into this sort of service?
Lol ... I understand the skepticism surrounding use/misuse of service dogs ... 100%. It's a conundrum at times how to weed out the fakers.

But, the fact that so many frou-frou mini-dogs are fakes for service doesn't change the reality that yes, they can be service animals. Theoretically.

Previous post by Murk suggested that perhaps there should be an id card for the dog owner / handler seems a pretty good idea. Asking the nature of a person's disability is inappropriately intrusive to a disabled person's privacy for both personal and legal reasons. Demanding demonstration by the owner/dog team is similarly inappropriate and burdensome. But asking for a simple, non-specific authorization to use a service animal is pretty benign, off the top of my head. No private disclosures or demonstrations necessary. Might really cut down on the fraud.

Good idea. Write your congressperson.

Postscript: my buddy's dog is a 100lb retreiver
His wife, profoundly Deaf since birth, has a pair of 75lb~ retreiver hearing dogs that know a lot of ASL (sign language). When you watch her communicating with her dogs there's no need to ask for id. It's impressive.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:50 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,501,453 times
Quote:
Clearly, people are taking advantage of the service animal thing. It is time to reign it in: only seeing eye dogs, dogs for the deaf, and perhaps diabetic care dogs (they sniff blood sugar levels) should be welcome. "Emotional Support Dogs" are complete and total BS.
I get the seeing eye dog and diabetic but what's with the deaf impaired service dog, do they act as an interpreter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas