Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:46 PM

419 posts, read 906,894 times

Advertisements

I just returned from visiting a friend in LV. He lives now in his second apartment here and continues to have major problems with neighbor's noise.

I have to say after staying there for almost a week, it may not just be the neighbors, though they are a pain. It may be how THIN and shoddy the construction is on these newer apartments. You would think newer building technology would have come up with a way to better sound deaden these apartments. And we are not talking some cheap places either!

His 2 bedroom is $1100+ a month and he was in an almost $1200 a month place last year - it was also a pain because he could hear EVERYTHING. I just wondered if this is common throughout Vegas (regardless of what you spend) and if so, how people tolerate it???

Also, wondered if there is anything a tenant could do himself or herself to improve the sound insulation? Are Condo's any better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Air

150 posts, read 537,878 times
Same thing in expensive apartments in Montreal and Raleigh, North Carolina; we could hear every single sound.

Never heard a thing in old buildings in New York City.

Last edited by Air; 03-20-2008 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: omitted word

Old 03-20-2008, 09:58 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times
brucerby,
I live in a townhome. You cannot hear people talk, sneeze or other things, and no TV's, but if they crank up their music quite high, you will hear that. You will also hear doors slamming although it's muted, not like through the thin walls of apts.
Best of all in a townhome/condo, if you rent within an HOA, you can complain to your landlord about the neighbors and they do something about it. That's a perk.

I heard the condos at Terrasini, at the western end of Aliante at Decatur have really good construction. Many are for rent.
Other new condo construction should also have similar insulation.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:35 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times
so if a apt is $1100 a month, why not get a house?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:49 PM

64 posts, read 413,392 times
Exactly why I live in a house! Your friend could get into a house for that amount of money.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:39 PM

3,327 posts, read 1,961,088 times
Default was a herd of cattle upstairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1967 View Post
Exactly why I live in a house! Your friend could get into a house for that amount of money.
Yup I can attest to that... We now live in a 55+ area house and it's silent here. Only way to go for me.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:13 AM

419 posts, read 906,894 times
Enreah wrote: ...
Quote:
Yup I can attest to that... We now live in a 55+ area house and it's silent here. Only way to go for me.....
....you're sure they're still breathing right?

seriously, I think he is planning to rent a detached house when his lease is up. When I move out there, I'm going to do the same. That probably is the best alternative.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:32 PM

3,327 posts, read 1,961,088 times
Default not sure really

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
Enreah wrote: ...

....you're sure they're still breathing right?
but mostly mouth breathers I think
I mind my business they mind theirs etc etc

Old 03-26-2008, 06:15 PM

697 posts, read 3,278,672 times
Uh...... Buy a house. I have seen large ones for low prices. The one I'm buying is in a great part of Green Valley and big (1800 Sqft) and my mortgage will be 900 a month after down payment and before taxes and insurance.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:37 PM

638 posts, read 2,243,472 times
I think a good tip would be to pay a little more and get an upstairs unit. I made the mistake of leasing a bottom floor unit in Henderson and the floor above me creeks. I hear every footstep and the lady who lives above me is up very late. Its a little hard to complain about it because she has every right to walk around her apartment. I dont think she realizes how loud it is.

I dont get too mad about it because I just tell myself it is a temporary situation. I will agree that construction quality out here seems a little cheap. In apartments I lived in back east I never noticed any noise, though I was younger and did not care much about noise.

What I hate most are the punks who roll through the parking lot at 1AM with their stereos up at full blast. Rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas