Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:05 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickydim View Post
Anyone who is capable of begging for hours a day can find a job. Obviously, begging pays better because there are just too many able bodied under 60 beggers out there.
Are you aware of all the obstacles for the homeless to get off the streets? Many can't afford a health card, an address is needed, some have had past criminal records. Back in 1972, when I was homeless in Denver, it was a piece of cake to get off the streets. Applied at a nursing home, and, back then, I didn't even need a CNA license (need to go to school for that, and it costs money, even the license: $50), no CPR card, no background checks, no TB card, no drug test. Merely worked with another CNA for a week, and I had my own hall to attend to. That just can't do that today! And, many of these nursing homes want a year of experience as well, many don't want to hire someone who has just gone through a school to be a CNA!

I just read a book, a chronicle of someone who lived as a homeless person, and he never panhandled in all the years he was homeless, as it wasn't necessary. Panhandling is for the lazier homeless. He dumpster dived most of those years and was never, ever hungry. Amazing what he'd find in dumpsters: bottles of prescription pills thrown out (which he resold to other homeless people like the antibiotics and pain meds), half finished bottles of wine/liquor, clothing, blankets, lots of good food thrown out, which was edible. He'd hit the dumpsters in back of the pizza chains, and he'd get enough pizza to share with 20-30 people.

His biggest finds were around the dormitories of the University, as the waste he found was mind-boggling. Come the end of the school terms, students would throw everything out into those dumpsters.

Essentially, these panhandlers are too lazy to do some dumpster diving.

And I don't begrudge them at all for blowing their money on drugs/alcohol, as what do we do at home behind close doors? Our drinking is out of sight, out of mind.

There's an old Indian saying: give $10 away, and $30 will come back to you in some form or another. And it's arbitrary how they spend the money. Try it sometime, and see if the "$30" comes back to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 03:48 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
This^^^. I was at Walmart the other day where a woman had a "hungry and homeless, please help" sign. I ignored her, went into the store and when I came out she was getting into an SUV. It wasn't a brand-new Escalade or anything but it wasn't a dilapidated crap box either. So yeah, there's way too many scammers and I'm not giving them my hard-earned money.
In my former midwest city, thee was a BUSINESS OWNER who every day went to the tourist area, to pull this scam. He was in the papers, the city did everything to try to get him to leave. Reported the company he owned, his home address everything to try to shame him into quitting, nothing worked. He was doin gthis in the tourist areas where they don't get the local news. This was the mid 80's to early 90's

He said I have people to run my company. I can sit down here in the __area of town where the toursit come and make $1,000 to $1,500 on a BAD day. Tax free.

I walk the different parks of Summerlin. Have seen one tent person for about 10 minutes. Another walker made a call and they were gone. Summerlin is not friendly to the presence of the homeless.

I think there was an article in our paper a few years ago about housewives going out begging during the day instead of getting a job.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:55 AM

160 posts, read 152,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
This^^^. I was at Walmart the other day where a woman had a "hungry and homeless, please help" sign. I ignored her, went into the store and when I came out she was getting into an SUV. It wasn't a brand-new Escalade or anything but it wasn't a dilapidated crap box either. So yeah, there's way too many scammers and I'm not giving them my hard-earned money.
That's why I don't pay money. I ask if they want to get something to eat and drink. To many scammers. I live in a area where panhandlers stand or sit out by signs that say DO NOT GIVE TO PANHANDLERS.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:19 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
I don't live far from there now, and they recently picked up that weirdo that was driving around shooting homeless guys while they slept around here. They caught him near Vegas and Rainbow.He was driving over to the areas where the homeless congregate near Veterans Memorial downtown. Great. Our very own budding serial killer.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:22 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
They beg. Your presumption that the heat is "incredible" is simple untrue. They might have to beg under a tree on a very hot day. But in general a good portion of even the hottest days is tolerable.
We lost over 49 people due to heat related illness last year. I think it was almost double that in the very nasty 2005, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:46 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M250 View Post
That's why I don't pay money. I ask if they want to get something to eat and drink. To many scammers. I live in a area where panhandlers stand or sit out by signs that say DO NOT GIVE TO PANHANDLERS.
One time I tried to give food to a panhandler, I was turned down. Well, after that incident, I never cared to give them anything up until recently. I bought six donuts at Vons and the cashier tried to fix the box putting her hand inside the box with the donuts, I got disgusted I did no eat the donuts and gave it to someone at Desert Breeze Park.

By the way they know where to get food, Las Vegas Rescue Mission has daily meal program, lunch and dinner. I've volunteered my time not long ago and the meal was decent including a pint of Haagen Dazs ice cream. The pantry at LVRM is stocked with food, the homeless here never go hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: