Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 07:35 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times

Advertisements

My point is, if our schools were good, our kids would come out of school knowing a whole lot more than they do teaching themselves.

Right and wrong mean very little in the real world.

Schools teaching the lowest common denominators is a disservice to the smart kids. We should be catering to the intelligent and letting the dumb fall to the way side. Our schools are doing the opposite of what they should be doing and that is why I say they are terrible. Of course they don't prevent smart kids from being smart. But they also don't help smart kids become smarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 09:06 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
My point is, if our schools were good, our kids would come out of school knowing a whole lot more than they do teaching themselves.

Right and wrong mean very little in the real world.

Schools teaching the lowest common denominators is a disservice to the smart kids. We should be catering to the intelligent and letting the dumb fall to the way side. Our schools are doing the opposite of what they should be doing and that is why I say they are terrible. Of course they don't prevent smart kids from being smart. But they also don't help smart kids become smarter.
Smart kids and parents generally work it out. I am one and come from a long line of them. If you got a smart kid directed toward STEM in LV you send them to Clark or Ad Tech or one of the Tech Centers. They are well set up for smart kids. Or if not STEM you send the kid to PV or Coronado or Arbor View or Shadow Ridge or Green Valley or Centennial and lean on them so they end up valedictorian or close.

The school system problem is quite clear. And it is not the smart kids. The system is getting creamed on its inability to handle the low socioeconomic kids. And their problem is they have not the faintest idea how to fix the problem. To a large degree the problem is quite outside the reach of CCSD or the teacher. How do you deal with a class that turns over 75% during the school year. And on top of that many of these children have grown up in an environment that makes them ill suited to the process.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:20 PM

66 posts, read 65,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Long way from dead last. Better than Los Angeles, New York City or Chicago. Don't get fooled by State numbers. That is a statistical quirk because the State of Nevada is actually one big city and one small city and not much else. So you basically end up comparing a large city with a high minority population to the much more varied states. And the top ten high schools and the magnets are fine.

If we cut the good suburban areas from CCSD they would look fine.
Second that! I can only compare to New York City schools, but the 2 schools we experienced here are so much better than the elementary and middle school the kids attended back in NY. Our only regret is not moving sooner.
If you look in Henderson, check 89052 and 89012 zip codes. Great schools! On top of that, there are many great charter and magnet schools.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:33 AM

307 posts, read 267,926 times
I don't know why people are so interested in the quality of the education system in this town. Isn't it painfully obvious that the place is an all-consuming entity which primarily interests itself in setting a low cultural standard for the purpose of self exploitation?

The truth is nothing can ever drive education forward here as the city is not interested in generating forward thinkers. The goal is to provide a localized closed-circuit curriculum that euthanizes the potential for creating well rounded/open minded individuals. They need to keep kids on a tight enough leash so they won't question who they are or what they might have missed out on when they reach the age of majority and eventually enter the hospitality sector of the work force.

Then of course you have the private institutions that charge $40K a year to turn kids into liberal snowflakes. I've met some of these kids and it amazes me to think there is a real market for this type of meaningless education. These parents actually think that because their kid is enrolled in a private school in Las Vegas that they are guaranteed success. A top quality institution can only be as great as its weakest link, and it always comes down to money over matter here in the worst way. Money is not just 'King' in Las Vegas, it is more ruthless in this city than in other places. So all the rich parents living in Summerlin can rest easy knowing that their kid won't be subjected to the rigors of the Clark County public school system for their $40k, but what they don't care to know is that a bunch of non diverse, upper-middle white kids are all being sent to the same place for the same exact reasons and the result is typical. School philosophy will be weak, the expectation will be low and the academic standard will be even lower. If you can see it comes full circle. I truly believe what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas... yes, even life itself. It would seem that once you are in you can never get out or ahead -- Hotel California style.

The gerbil wheel is effervescent as ever in the local media, catering to the young who may still have yet to make up their minds. Just listen to the EDM radio station commercials in the valley; they encourage attractive women to drop out or not attend college at all when they can just come dance their youth away into a million dollar abode.

The whole thing is very sad but predictable and preventable. It just comes down to how important lower taxes + no rain + 270+ days of full on desert Sun is worth to a family in exchange for their souls.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
I don't know why people are so interested in the quality of the education system in this town. Isn't it painfully obvious that the place is an all-consuming entity which primarily interests itself in setting a low cultural standard for the purpose of self exploitation?

The truth is nothing can ever drive education forward here as the city is not interested in generating forward thinkers. The goal is to provide a localized closed-circuit curriculum that euthanizes the potential for creating well rounded/open minded individuals. They need to keep kids on a tight enough leash so they won't question who they are or what they might have missed out on when they reach the age of majority and eventually enter the hospitality sector of the work force.

Then of course you have the private institutions that charge $40K a year to turn kids into liberal snowflakes. I've met some of these kids and it amazes me to think there is a real market for this type of meaningless education. These parents actually think that because their kid is enrolled in a private school in Las Vegas that they are guaranteed success. A top quality institution can only be as great as its weakest link, and it always comes down to money over matter here in the worst way. Money is not just 'King' in Las Vegas, it is more ruthless in this city than in other places. So all the rich parents living in Summerlin can rest easy knowing that their kid won't be subjected to the rigors of the Clark County public school system for their $40k, but what they don't care to know is that a bunch of non diverse, upper-middle white kids are all being sent to the same place for the same exact reasons and the result is typical. School philosophy will be weak, the expectation will be low and the academic standard will be even lower. If you can see it comes full circle. I truly believe what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas... yes, even life itself. It would seem that once you are in you can never get out or ahead -- Hotel California style.

The gerbil wheel is effervescent as ever in the local media, catering to the young who may still have yet to make up their minds. Just listen to the EDM radio station commercials in the valley; they encourage attractive women to drop out or not attend college at all when they can just come dance their youth away into a million dollar abode.

The whole thing is very sad but predictable and preventable. It just comes down to how important lower taxes + no rain + 270+ days of full on desert Sun is worth to a family in exchange for their souls.
Post is pretty much nonsense. Meadows is about the most expensive private school in Las Vegas and tops out at the High School at $25,000. There are also scholarships available. Meadows does very well academically. Sends virtually all its graduates to college including good numbers to the Ivy League and such. Meadows scores well on the National Merit.

There are a number of other programs with excellent results. The Clark Magnet Program for instance graduates all its members and has very good National Merit status. Advanced Tech and the Tech High Schools also do well. And the top of the conventional high schools appear equivalent to the normal standards of big city suburban high schools.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:23 AM

My numbers may be off by ~10 thousand but you get the gist of it. All Ivy League means is that you are book smart set by some high academic standard. But now that you mention it, I can see it. The children I have encountered that attend those pretentious offerings DO have a creeping sense of Ivy League 'white bread' coldness to their character. Desensitized, disconnected and sanitized.

Last edited by aswontsp; 01-22-2018 at 11:32 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
My numbers may be off by ~10 thousand but you get the gist of it. All Ivy League means is that you are book smart set by some high academic standard. But now that you mention it, I can see it. The children I have encountered that attend those pretentious offerings DO have a creeping sense of Ivy League 'white bread' coldness to their character. Desensitized, disconnected and sanitized.
Actually they are the very normal children of the better off. And they run the normal gamut of children. The manager of our local VP Pub sent his children to Meadows...and they are very much the same as any kids you will meet. The kids at Clark magnet will be the typical very smart kids you find in any such self selected group. They are s little different but that is from being a collection of the quite smart.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually they are the very normal children of the better off. And they run the normal gamut of children. The manager of our local VP Pub sent his children to Meadows...and they are very much the same as any kids you will meet. The kids at Clark magnet will be the typical very smart kids you find in any such self selected group. They are s little different but that is from being a collection of the quite smart.
I don't doubt it, by the standard locale, of course. But Las Vegas is not like any other place and normal has to be redefined to a large extent. Ivy League is not what it is all cracked up to be when it comes to the making of a great well rounded person. It has been labeled 'Poison Ivy' for a reason.

One more thing to ponder. What one person who was from Las Vegas that went off to an Ivy League ever came back to Nevada and tried to have a positive influence or attempted make some kind of (even small) difference on their home turf? Any substantial 'Nevada firsts' on that list? What exactly is the purpose of producing a child in this area who will one day possibly attend an Ivy League school only to never look back because their upbringing was based on lies about how their society mostly panders to the dregs of society? About how it is a hopeless quest to even try to fix the most basic flawed fundamentals of said society?

Selfish parents who should have never had kids is what that pretty much boils down to.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:52 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
A determined kid with a parent that is proactive will do well no matter what school they go to. I will say though, my daughter went to Piggott and I was not happy with the staff or instruction there. She is doing fantastic in middle school, however. We didn't change anything yet she is flourishing. Keep the kids busy with school and extracurricular activities, sports leagues, or rec center classes etc. and they will be just fine.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
A determined kid with a parent that is proactive will do well no matter what school they go to. I will say though, my daughter went to Piggott and I was not happy with the staff or instruction there. She is doing fantastic in middle school, however. We didn't change anything yet she is flourishing. Keep the kids busy with school and extracurricular activities, sports leagues, or rec center classes etc. and they will be just fine.
A high quality, dedicated parent is crucial. But many people that end up with kids move to or live in Vegas in hopes of striking it rich one day. Do you know why the low taxes are so attractive to people and they bow to the one way benefit? Because there is a generic lack of interest or understanding in what is required for obtaining a high quality education.

People who have a genuine interest in their kids getting an excellent education pony up the extra money to live in a desirable area for the schools alone, and people who are already affluent are fine with paying the extra taxes that afford them a higher quality existence. Bottom line is that high quality education does not mix with penny pinchers who mainly opt to live in an area because of low taxes. The reason it costs more to live elsewhere is because there is a payoff to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas