Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 08:57 PM

122 posts, read 123,804 times

Advertisements

We have been here 3 years and are moving back to Australia in April.

The gun stuff and lack of affordable healthcare are the kickers for us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 09:29 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
If I can ever talk my husband into it, I am leaning heavily on going back to southern Utah. I like the slower way of life there, less people, less crime, and we would still be close enough to visit Las Vegas if we wanted to. This is several years away still, unless we win the lottery, then it will be sooner.
While the majority of my family may all end up in the Austin, TX area, I do not get along with most of my family these days for various reasons, so do not really want to live around them. Plus mosquitoes are a big turn off. And those pesky tornadoes.

Airics, I wish you the BEST of luck and happiness in your new home in Florida. I am glad things are working out for you and you can escape this weird city.
Actually I’m also doing this so my wife has a house free and clear in case something happens to me...if you remember a few years back they found an aneurysm in my heart so I had open heart surgery, I have congestive heart failure, December 2016 had a stroke, and from that I gained neuropathy and short term memory loss. Now I have a bump on the back of my head that needs a biopsy. I can’t believe I’m still working full time. I don’t feel comfortable attempting to get disability. There’s got to be a reason why I’m still around. I just don’t know what it is... if I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:21 PM

927 posts, read 883,306 times
I'm moving back to Michigan where I grew up. I want to get married and have children. Vegas is an awful place for both of those things.

The only thing keeping me in Vegas is my pension. You get vested after 5 years and I've only done 2. If I find a good job offer in Michigan, I'll forfeit the pension and leave this summer. If not, I'll probably stick it out another 3 years.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:15 AM

414 posts, read 359,510 times
Probably the metro-Boston area for career reasons. If Boston lands Amazon’s HQ2 then I won’t want to go there as the already high housing costs will be even worse - not sure where I’ll wind up then. Coming from NJ I really enjoy the weather, easy access to world-class outdoor recreation, lower cost of living and slower pace of life that Vegas offers. However, there are zero job opportunities in Vegas for me and my husband in fin tech and what is out here pays significantly less than what we make working remotely for companies based in the northeast.

I’ll enjoy my time in Vegas while it lasts, but at some point I’ll seek career advancement - it won’t happen here and it’s tough to luck out with a remote gig without proving yourself for a year or two onsite first.

Last edited by Cubicle Dweller; 02-20-2018 at 01:24 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 03:01 AM

496 posts, read 365,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
We just bought an hour north of Tampa. Leaving this “utopia” in June
Congratulations.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:47 PM

505 posts, read 584,170 times
Let's see, my friends have left Vegas for:

upstate NY
Phoenix
Denver
Atlanta
California
Des Moines

All of them left to be by family, get better jobs and/or absolutely hated Las Vegas. I personally have left Vegas three times and I'm planning my final escape now. I've jogged back and forth from Vegas to Denver to Dallas and back. Not sure where to go. Considering Phoenix, Boise, Pittsburgh or Philly. It's the crime, filth, lack of white collar jobs/salaries/opportunities and TERRIBLE DOCTORS! I really want out of here ASAP.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:47 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
I'm looking at Flagstaff, Sedona, or something in New Mexico.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:02 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Agreed, but jobs seem difficult to come by in sedona! Flag has some, but less charm/beauty than sedona.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:46 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Agreed, but jobs seem difficult to come by in sedona! Flag has some, but less charm/beauty than sedona.
I have been extremely lucky ( knock wood ) and have managed to land a remote position. Home office is in Virginia. I love this new job. Kids are grown and moved, I'm no longer married, dad moved. I'm not tied here anymore.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:00 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I absolutely love Sedona...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas