Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 07:28 PM

112 posts, read 148,620 times

Advertisements

We may be faced with bringing my elderly father-in-law here to Las Vegas on either a temporary or permanent basis. He's currently living in San Diego County and is on Medi-Cal (California Medicaid) and Medicare. He's on a very fixed income of about $1000 monthly in SSI and we don't have any extra funds to contribute to his care, other than feeding him and putting a roof over his head.

Has anyone had experience with trying to find a Medi-Cal provider in the Las Vegas area? According to the website, you can use it out of California if you can find an out of state provider who accepts it. I thought that considering so many people come here from California that this might be a thing (doctors in Clark County who accept Medi-Cal) but I haven't been able to find a list of providers or anything like that.

If I'm reading the Nevada Medicaid website correctly, it doesn't look like he could qualify to live here permanently because the household income if he's living with us would be way too high. It looks like the difference is that in California it's an either/or situation (he's over 65/disabled OR his household income is too low) whereas in Nevada it's an AND situation where low household income PLUS age/disability has to happen to qualify.

I'll be making some calls next week for better clarification, but if anyone has any personal experience for yourself or a loved one, I would really appreciate hearing about it.

Edited to add: Another issue with him is he is on a TON of medication. This includes opioids and prescription sleeping pills. We have warned him it might be next to impossible to get new prescriptions written for these while he's here, based on tougher laws and the ridiculous experience my husband had over four years ago trying to get one prescription for Percocet with no refills. Again, if you have any experience with this I'd appreciate hearing it. Thanks!

Last edited by TraceyCCM; 02-10-2018 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 10:52 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
If they maintain their own boards, why would there be any Medical providers in Nevada?

If you move him to NV, he's going to be on NV Medicare if he's ole enough to qualify.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:27 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If they maintain their own boards, why would there be any Medical providers in Nevada?

If you move him to NV, he's going to be on NV Medicare if he's ole enough to qualify.
He'd be on Medicare, but it sounds like OP has already determined he wouldn't qualify for NV Medicaid. Medicaid pays for a significant portion of Medicare copays/out of pocket costs for Medicare recipients who qualify.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:57 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
A friend of mine tried to bring her very ill daughter (MS) here about 3 years before she died. This was 2013.

'They' told her she had to go through a 'vetting' process, where the state decides if they will pay for her daughter to be here. They were very discouraging to friend, telling her IF she did get approved, it could take a year and they would NOT refund her money the friend spent while going through this process. Since the daughter would be living with the mother, they said mother most likely had too much income and assets.

Her daughter became terminal and had 24/7 care. She lasted 27 months more only cause her mother had knowledge of how to take care of someone as she had 15 years earlier taken care of her mother with alzheimers.

So friend moved to Oregon, where daughter lived for 25 years and that state was very generous with the bennies. 24/7 care etc. Cause friend was now living with daughter, there was no issue.

Frankly with NV state reputation of leaving medicaid patients outside their front door (about a month ago) and how they shipped the mentally disturbed over to CA, its obvious they don't want those who got dealt a bad health hand in life here.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:30 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Talk to a Social Worker. I think you can find them at welfare offices or places like Catholic Charities. Speak with SNCIL too. I think it's Southern Nevada Council on Independent Living. Generally speaking, California has better services for the poor, aged, etc than here in NV.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:33 PM

110 posts, read 104,526 times
I dunno but I was on medical in CA. I called CA told them I relocated to vegas to have it canceled. I then filled out the info on the NV website for medicaid and had the card in the mail in like 3 days.

I'm not exactly a tax person, but just because he lives with you does not make him part of your household. If you rent a room to someone for example, they are not part of your household. If you do not claim him as a dependent on your tax return he is not part of your household. I lived with my father who makes plenty, but I was 30 years old. He does not claim me or anything, its like I rent a room. His income had no bearing on my eligibility for student loans, grants, or medical, because he does not give me money or support me in any way other than letting me sleep there...

Old 02-14-2018, 09:57 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
^^^ Maybe it depends on if her dad needs 24/7 care. My friends daughter had several caregivers, and apartment, money for food, supplies, etc all paid for by the state. One of her pain relievers was pot so she got that free also. Oregon is very generous with the bennies.

Rrgarding Medication.

One of my doctors said by law (since January 1st) they can ONLY prescribe what you see them for. I guess maybe some doctrors here were Rxing narcotics etc. out of convenience to some patients.

Another doctors office has a sign up that they can no longer Rx narcotics. So maybe the law covers narcs only.

Don't know if its a state or national law.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:38 AM

112 posts, read 148,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

This part of the question had to do with if we brought him here temporarily with the expectation that he'd go back to California shortly once we found a place there for him. This was about what if he needed to see a doctor while he was here.

California's Medi-Cal site does say it accepts out of state providers, so I thought maybe there would be several here, given the proximity to CA and the sheer number of people from CA that visit here. I think I'll probably have to contact them directly to see if they have any providers in NV. I just thought it might be so common that if I asked here someone would know.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyCCM View Post
This part of the question had to do with if we brought him here temporarily with the expectation that he'd go back to California shortly once we found a place there for him. This was about what if he needed to see a doctor while he was here.

California's Medi-Cal site does say it accepts out of state providers, so I thought maybe there would be several here, given the proximity to CA and the sheer number of people from CA that visit here. I think I'll probably have to contact them directly to see if they have any providers in NV. I just thought it might be so common that if I asked here someone would know.
Medi-Cal will only pay providers who are participating providers. Most out of state providers will not bother to be credentialed with an out of state Medicaid provider like Medi-Cal. The reimbursment does not make the effort worthwhile. He is essentially uninsured out of state if he only has Medi-Cal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: