Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:23 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,231,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I get this question a lot. "Are there family-friendly things for me to do with my kids?" "What do locals do on weekends?" "I'm not into gambling, is there anything else to do?"

So I thought it would be helpful to provide a comprehensive list of all the cool things the city has to offer locals. I'll start the list, but of course, anyone can add onto it.

For Kids & The Family:
-Skymania (a whole new type of extreme sport). SkyMania Homepage
-Lied Discovery Children's Museum (science and technology museum oriented towards kids). Lied Discovery Children’s Museum
-The Springs Preserve (an outdoor ecological exhibit). Springs Preserve (http://www.springspreserve.org/html/home.html - broken link)
-Bodies: The Exhibition. http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/
-UNLV sporting events. UNLV Rebels
-Las Vegas 51s (minor league baseball). Las Vegas 51s: Home

Culture and Entertainment:
-Phantom of the Opera. PHANTOM - THE LAS VEGAS SPECTACULAR
-Cirque du Soleil shows. Cirque Du Soleil - Las Vegas
-Jazz bands and orchestras playing @ the Hills Park in the summer. Picnic style.
-UNLVino. Annual wine tasting event. UNLVino® - Las Vegas Wine Event
-San Gennaro Italian Food Festival. San Gennaro Feast - Las Vegas
-Red White and Boom. Annual 4th of July concert and festivities. Sparks in the Park : 4th of July Festival Event
-House of Blues. Popular concert venue. House of Blues - Mandalay Bay

Outdoor Recreation:
-Mount Charleston. Hiking fall through spring, skiing in the winter. Mount Charleston Lodge
-Red Rock Canyon. Red Rock Canyon
-Lake Mead. Lake Mead National Recreation Area
-Lake Las Vegas. Often hosts events. The Official Home Page of Lake Las Vegas
-Golf. Las Vegas Golf Courses
-Cycling teams. Las Vegas Bike (http://www.lasvegascyclery.com/index.htm - broken link)
-Youth Soccer. Nevada Youth Soccer Association

Other locals, please share your favorite things to do in the valley.
Don't forget the Greek Food Festival. The dates on this site are for last year's event so watch for it in September. Las Vegas Greek Festival

I'm sure you meant to say hiking Mt. Charleston from Spring through Fall. Fall through Spring would require snowmobiles, snowshoes, or X/C Skis, but those are good sports too and Mt. Charleston is a good place for that in winter. I don't know if people realize that the hikes are world class in the Spring Mountains, commonly known as Mt. Charleston around here. Many people drive up to the lodge and walk a few hundred yards into the woods. That's OK, but serious hikers can backpack on several trails at altitudes over 10,000 feet, with plenty of places to spend the night under one of the oldest living things on earth...the bristle-cone pine. Making it to the top of Charleston Peak is a must for all serious hikers at 11,982 feet elevation.

And don't forget all the horse back riding available in the valley. Speaking of which, Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs was so nice today we didn't want to leave. It isn't a state park anymore, it now belongs to the city, but this site has good pix. Birding Urban Las Vegas, Floyd Lamb State Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVNVTrucker View Post
Im more into the history of an area. And I love taken drives up to the old mining towns (Pioche, Panaca, Goldfield, Tonopah and such) and exploring. If your a rock-hound these are great areas for rare finds.
While up that way have you ventured over to Delamar ghost town? This site has good pix. There is music too in case you want to mute your speakers. Delamar - Nevada Ghost Town

Closer to home.
The old Mormon Fort downtown: Nevada Division of State Parks - Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort State Historic Park

Lost City Museum: Lost City Museum

Desert National Wildlife Refuge: Desert National Wildlife Range

Old 04-28-2008, 07:11 PM

19 posts, read 105,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Don't forget the Greek Food Festival. The dates on this site are for last year's event so watch for it in September. Las Vegas Greek Festival

I'm sure you meant to say hiking Mt. Charleston from Spring through Fall. Fall through Spring would require snowmobiles, snowshoes, or X/C Skis, but those are good sports too and Mt. Charleston is a good place for that in winter. I don't know if people realize that the hikes are world class in the Spring Mountains, commonly known as Mt. Charleston around here. Many people drive up to the lodge and walk a few hundred yards into the woods. That's OK, but serious hikers can backpack on several trails at altitudes over 10,000 feet, with plenty of places to spend the night under one of the oldest living things on earth...the bristle-cone pine. Making it to the top of Charleston Peak is a must for all serious hikers at 11,982 feet elevation.

And don't forget all the horse back riding available in the valley. Speaking of which, Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs was so nice today we didn't want to leave. It isn't a state park anymore, it now belongs to the city, but this site has good pix. Birding Urban Las Vegas, Floyd Lamb State Park
Are there places to snowmobile at Mt. Charleston? I thought it wasn't allowed there.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:43 AM

709 posts, read 2,173,789 times
You can ride your dirt bike or ATV at Nellis Dunes.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn2vegas View Post
Are there places to snowmobile at Mt. Charleston? I thought it wasn't allowed there.
I don't have a snowmobile but I've seen plenty of them headed up there. There are dirt roads that I would imagine you could go on. Unless the rules have changed. This may be outdated: Pleasent Creek Trails Guide - html version (http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/e-resources/ebooks/records/ecv5272.html - broken link)

Old 04-29-2008, 01:30 PM

278 posts, read 1,081,059 times
As for the horseback riding, where are some good places for rentals? Can 6 year olds ride on their own? I've been waiting for my boys to be big/old enough so we can go. I haven't been on a horse since I was about 12 (wow can't believe 25 years have gone by) and I want to go before I get to old!!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post
As for the horseback riding, where are some good places for rentals? Can 6 year olds ride on their own? I've been waiting for my boys to be big/old enough so we can go. I haven't been on a horse since I was about 12 (wow can't believe 25 years have gone by) and I want to go before I get to old!!
Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs has a stable, and there is at least one on the Kyle Canyon Road to Mt. Charleston. I think the most popular stable is at Bonnie Springs Ranch.

Google shows boarding and riding stables both, so you'd just have to sort through it. stables in las vegas - Google Search

You might have to call about the six year old. That sounds too young to me but maybe he could ride double with someone.

If you want a real treat, drive up to Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park in Utah and take the trail ride down into the canyon. There is a ride along the rim also but I think it was more fun to ride down the trail and see the bottom of the canyon. Of course it's always fun to hike down too.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:59 PM

278 posts, read 1,081,059 times
Thanks Buzz. Bonnie Springs allows 6 and up, no double riding and is $50 per person. Cowboy Trail Riders is 8 and up and their cheapest ride is $69. I couldn't find anything about Floyd Lamb Park and horseback riding.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:20 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,987,994 times
A GREAT Sunday drive type of trip [especially if you like dates] is the China Ranch Date Farm.......head over the hump to Pahrump....take the first left turn after you pass the Sandy Valley Road turnoff.....runs straight as an arrow for a time the a few squiggles and you end up on the outskirts of Tecopa....[can something as small as Tecops HAVE outskirts?] Watch for the Yellow signs to China ranch.....[don't let the dirt road scare ya]

Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,890,520 times
A 6-year old should be fine. Double-riding is more dangerous than riding alone, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas