Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:44 AM

508 posts, read 1,021,728 times

Advertisements

Im not sure.... i know LL are shady though.... most counties have a "renters handbook" you can normally pick them up at the county office or the county courthouse.

I had pics (dated) and had turned in my walk through. when i left i had paid the last months rent and returned the key... about a year later i checked my credit report and i had a mark on there saying i owed almost 2,000 dollars in damages to the place...

So i called the collection agency and had requested the proof of debt and they sent me the move out sheet. and i said ma'am in order to know what damanges are mine this can not be proved without the move in sheet also...

she didnt want to give it to me but she ended up having to... and i asked her how she can collect on a debt thats not mine... the manager had signed off on the move in sheet... and EVERYTHING that was on the move in sheet was being charged on the move out sheet... I then faxed her pics of the move in and move out condition and asked her if i needed to seek legal rep. since they have placed a falsified debt on my credit report...

I never heard from her again but the next month i checked the debt had been removed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 PM

169 posts, read 1,084,147 times
Did you have a walk through? What I mean by that, is did you go through with the LL and do a check off, of the condition of the apartment when moving in? 1. If the LL, did not do a walk through
with you, the LL will have a hard time proving that the carpet was in good condition prior to move in. The walk through is to protect the LL and yourself from these exact type of issues. Carpet has a life of 7yrs, if kept in good condition. You might wanna find out how old that carpet is. The LL must have documentation if they are going to try to pursue a claim. And again, I must stress, they are going to have a hard time getting one dime, if they didnt do a walk though. Since, there is no way to prove the previous tenant did not do the damage prior to you renting it.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,898 times
Default Landlord Retalitation?

As a former landlord I know the law on evictions in NV reasonably well, but this situation is a little different. My Fiancee is being evicted on a no cause 30 day which would normally be all that is necessary and the story is done. Here is the BUT. End of last month(JUNE), she was asked to attend a board meeting of the AA club that sets and collects her rent. They told her they were going to raise her rent by $100/month. She told them they couldn't without written notice of 45 days per NV law. The reaction of the board was that they would table the matter until they had enough of the board there to vote on it and issue a written notice to increase the rent. So today they hit her with the 30 day no cause eviction notice. Shouldn't she have some protection here as this (in my opinion) is a retaliatory act? The lease is long expired and she has been on a month-to-month basis for over a year. She doesn't want to stay it is just that the time frame is going to put a severe hardship on her as she is a teacher and she has 4 weeks of school left then a 3 week break, is there any way to force this to go out an additional week or two?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:38 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,835,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pipper View Post
As a former landlord I know the law on evictions in NV reasonably well, but this situation is a little different. My Fiancee is being evicted on a no cause 30 day which would normally be all that is necessary and the story is done. Here is the BUT. End of last month(JUNE), she was asked to attend a board meeting of the AA club that sets and collects her rent. They told her they were going to raise her rent by $100/month. She told them they couldn't without written notice of 45 days per NV law. The reaction of the board was that they would table the matter until they had enough of the board there to vote on it and issue a written notice to increase the rent. So today they hit her with the 30 day no cause eviction notice. Shouldn't she have some protection here as this (in my opinion) is a retaliatory act? The lease is long expired and she has been on a month-to-month basis for over a year. She doesn't want to stay it is just that the time frame is going to put a severe hardship on her as she is a teacher and she has 4 weeks of school left then a 3 week break, is there any way to force this to go out an additional week or two?
Is it enough of a hardship for her to pay the extra $100 for one month? Maybe she should agree to the increase on a month to month basis and move when it is more convenient.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 PM

I doubt it will do any good, their stated reason over the phone was this was because she brought up the 45 day notice when they wee going to raise the rent. basically they are mad because they were wrong so I doubt they will reconcile. I am trying not to get too involved on a one on one basis since I am leaving town tonight for at least two weeks and will not be around to help her with this other than moral support.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 PM

Tell her to refuse to leave. The eviction process could take long enough for her to finish her school.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:53 PM

That is a possibility I had thought of. Thanks. She is going to talk to someone tomorrow about extending it out the extra week or two to give her the necessary time.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 PM

New news from the grapevine. Rumor has it that the AA club wants the house for a halfway type house. Can use this against them somehow.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:28 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Tell her to refuse to leave. The eviction process could take long enough for her to finish her school.
doubt it.... my tenant didn't pay on the 5th, had a 3 day grace period (8th), i filed eviction papers on the 13th, was set for lockout on the 22nd but she went to court and appealed.. she was locked out on the 30th..... Its VERY quick here in Nevada

Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
doubt it.... my tenant didn't pay on the 5th, had a 3 day grace period (8th), i filed eviction papers on the 13th, was set for lockout on the 22nd but she went to court and appealed.. she was locked out on the 30th..... Its VERY quick here in Nevada
That's 22 days. She only needs two weeks. I don't encourage screwing the LL. Pay the two weeks pro-rated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas