Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 08:22 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectras View Post
Yes, I have been at several ones related to startup and entrepreneurship. They are really good, and you can meet nice like minded people.
You have Innevation at Switch and Work In Progress that gathers those manly tech guys.

https://www.innevation.com/meetings/
https://www.workinprogress.lv/

I like that it is not too crowded, and actually everyone knows everyone. You cannot be lost like in SF or Seattle..
That is the strange thing about Las Vegas, big town but yet when it comes to knowing people, every one seems to be only one or two connections away.

Didn't know that about Aristocrat. Through a friend, there's another big gaming company, who is outgrowing their facility.

Forgot about Switch. A friends son works there. And he had no advanced education, was in the service. She says he makes good money, has a house etc.

I had a meeting at Hakasan a couple years ago (sp?) Is that the international headquarters? Don't forget the liquor industry here. Southern Wines (new name forgot it) is huge. And lots of smaller distributors. Friend has a liquor product (out of the country) spent a day with her calling on distributors.

JMO - if its hard to date here, I'd say its harder on women than men. But I know a bunch of professional women, many with their own business and money. But they are over 50 and not looking for cubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 06:28 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
I posted the following in a different thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I dunno... I have 5 20-something Ivy kids hanging around my house right now; my daughter went to Columbia and the rest went to either Columbia, Penn or Cornell. Also have a Stanford, Northwestern, Chicago and a Tufts kid. And a Pitzer kid....

All of them are well-adjusted, bright, and are doing very interesting things with their lives.
There are well educated 20-somethings around. Many are in corporate finance & treasury.

There is a quite large network of Cornell grads. A good sized network of Stanford grads.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,673 times
I moved Here 2 years ago from Philly. It’s hard to find a steady group of friends here. I always tell people this town is full of fakes and flakes. But it’s not impossible and there are career driven people here who’s lives don’t revolve around the nightlife scene. Feel free to hit me up if you’re out here!

Old 04-03-2018, 03:03 PM

307 posts, read 267,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy3219 View Post
I moved Here 2 years ago from Philly. It’s hard to find a steady group of friends here. I always tell people this town is full of fakes and flakes. But it’s not impossible and there are career driven people here who’s lives don’t revolve around the nightlife scene. Feel free to hit me up if you’re out here!
Yeah, there is absolutely no camaraderie amongst people in Vegas like there is in Philly. These two places are culturally opposite and represent completely different worlds.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:58 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
These are single millennial women. They make every wrong decision in the book and blame others for their choices.
Women with poor decision making skills, bad judgment and horrible instincts about men -- what's not to like?

Old 04-04-2018, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
Yeah, there is absolutely no camaraderie amongst people in Vegas like there is in Philly. These two places are culturally opposite and represent completely different worlds.

Yep. I notcied that fairly quickly after moving here. I also got used to it pretty quickly

Old 04-04-2018, 04:33 PM

265 posts, read 204,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Women with poor decision making skills, bad judgment and horrible instincts about men -- what's not to like?
Get online and meet a woman from another country or another state that's not jaded. A lot of good women would love to live in Vegas with a good man. If they aren't from here and are serious about love, but easy going and all that, it's cool.

Just make sure she isn't too conservative and may not like all the crazy stuff.

When you move here, are in your 30s, college, have savings, good credit, no kids, don't want them and look at some of these women with 2 kids, by 23, you wonder why many of the men are poor quality here. There are no standards, big goals on either side.

I know a guy who makes under $15 an hour, has 2 young kids and is always anxiously waiting for the next pay day because he has no money. I have no idea what the wife does.

Unless you are a go geter out here, want to advance yourself, like work and are realistic, you will be left behind.

And don't be surprised guys if you're on Tinder or other dating apps if you run into illegal sex workers charging $400 for the hour. They are out there and it's not legal.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:47 PM

60 posts, read 45,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJUSN View Post
Specifically for NV Energy, I have not seen an operator job posting from them. From what I have heard you must find your way into the company in whatever (lower paying) position then transfer to an operator position from there.
Ever wonder why? That random rainy Vegas weather in the middle of a desert has to come from SOMEWHERE.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:09 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,153,055 times
I never worked with so many masters degrees as when I was in gaming

Old 04-04-2018, 07:43 PM

250 posts, read 229,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
I never worked with so many masters degrees as when I was in gaming
In my day it was "I am one semester away from" but yeah same shtick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: