Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:40 PM

469 posts, read 494,766 times

Advertisements

Post your experience if you got them. Please be detailed if possible as I’m looking into it as a long term investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 10:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
Priced when they first came out. I really wanted them especially since they were touted as being in the same price range as a regular roof. Not true. It was 10X more expensive...

Old 04-28-2018, 04:11 AM

39 posts, read 30,201 times
People get the tesla solar roof because it looks nice--not because it's cost effective. If you can absorb the huge upfront costs, it's true that it's more cost effective than a conventional roof. Unfortunately, the cost effectiveness of the tesla solar roof pales in comparison to a conventional roof with conventional solar panels.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Priced when they first came out. I really wanted them especially since they were touted as being in the same price range as a regular roof. Not true. It was 10X more expensive...
I’ve been quoted a much cheaper price for 10 Panels compared to another company. I’m not sure exactly what you mean by them being 10x more expensive?

Old 04-28-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclose View Post
I’ve been quoted a much cheaper price for 10 Panels compared to another company. I’m not sure exactly what you mean by them being 10x more expensive?
I replaced my roof with energy star shingles with 130mph wind rating for the tax credit, $500. I bought white shingles for additional energy savings over the original dark brown. And last summer it saved me some money over previous years. Total replacement cost was $7700 with the work done by a professional roofing company. I had to replace the roof because of damage during that wind storm on 3/31/17.

They started doing local quotes for the Tesla solar roof while I was getting price quotes for the replacement. I remembered Mr. Musk saying the Tesla roof would be approximately equivalent to a regular roof so I got a quote. 80K for a roof on a modest 1500SF house. And they couldn't give me an installation date.

I think Mr. Musk was talking about it being equivalent to the cost of HIS roof. Handcut slate shingles imported from France!

Old 04-28-2018, 12:48 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
The product generally associated with Tesla is a solar roof tile. They do not come in panels. Tesla recommend them only if you are going to re-roof anyway as they are much more expensive than solar panels.

I do not know if Tesla is actually making solar cells. I doubt it as it is not the sort of thing Tesla does. But the do assemble a rather nice looking low profile panel.

I would simply treat them as a normal solar panel seller. Give them a few more points for a nice looking panel but decide on the economics.

Make sure you are quoting the same thing. What you care about is the watt output of the array. Solar panels are not standardized so they may well vary all over the lot in output.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
If I understand it correctly the reason they claim to be competitive is because they are talking about the life of the panel and the savings in electric costs. I'm not sure how long that is but I'd guess at least 15 years. So you pay a lot now and not so much for electricity over the years or pay less now and more for electricity over time.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I replaced my roof with energy star shingles with 130mph wind rating for the tax credit, $500. I bought white shingles for additional energy savings over the original dark brown. And last summer it saved me some money over previous years. Total replacement cost was $7700 with the work done by a professional roofing company. I had to replace the roof because of damage during that wind storm on 3/31/17.

They started doing local quotes for the Tesla solar roof while I was getting price quotes for the replacement. I remembered Mr. Musk saying the Tesla roof would be approximately equivalent to a regular roof so I got a quote. 80K for a roof on a modest 1500SF house. And they couldn't give me an installation date.

I think Mr. Musk was talking about it being equivalent to the cost of HIS roof. Handcut slate shingles imported from France!
Interesting, something I will look into. Which professional roofing company did you go with?

Old 04-29-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Interesting, something I will look into. Which professional roofing company did you go with?
Terry at Discount Roofing! They did a good job. Las Vegas Roofing | Las Vegas, NV | Discount Roofing Of Nevada

Old 05-10-2018, 03:11 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,466 times
The company formerly known as Solar City is now (and has been for the past 18 months or so) Tesla. And yes, they do sell Solar Panels not just Solar Roof.

I have been a Solar City customer (my California home) for 8 years and could not be happier with my choice and the sub $2.00 bills I get from SCE each month.

We have twice priced solar from our home in Henderson and, considering we are only in the house a few days a month, it just doesn't make financial sense for us to go solar here. But one day when we occupy this house full time, we probably will so solar.

If the OP is still considering this, I would encourage them to use my referral code, (http://ts.la/charles6241) if they don't have one from a friend already. Gets you an additional 5 years on your warranty and gets me 1 out of the 5 referrals I need to get a free Powerwall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: