Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 11:26 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabtrees View Post
I see a lot of comments to not drive in the fast lane if I don't like being tailgated for going to slow, well I'm driving 75mph, which is over the speed limit and grounds for a ticket if the cops weren't already too busy attending to yet another accident on the side of the freeway. How fast do I need to drive for it to be acceptable to be in the fast lane and not be forced to adjust my speed and lane for one idiot after the other? And it doesn't matter if I'm in the fast lane or the 2nd lane or whatever, it's the entire freeway that is full of Dale Earnhardt Jr's. I generally don't have any issues driving on the streets, it's a freeway problem for me. I mean, in one month I saw two cars in the slow lane drive completely off the freeway onto a dirt patch on the side of the freeway, and another lady in the fast lane drive into the center divider and continue to drive along it, sparks and everything, for at least 2-3 seconds before pulling back into the fast lane, and then continue to drive on the freeway like it never happened.

I have friends and family who come out here to visit pretty much every month. Most of them have never been anywhere in the valley outside of the strip, so they're always interested in coming to my house in Henderson to to see how us locals live. By far the most common observation from them is how bad the drivers are. Every single person that stays at my house comments on how crazy the drivers were on the way to my house.

The left lane is for PASSING. Not cruising. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 12:12 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Op is Tailgating, and all the reckless drivers want to change the subject to their right under the law to drive like maniacs.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:00 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Op is Tailgating, and all the reckless drivers want to change the subject to their right under the law to drive like maniacs.

You mean we want the roads to work how they do in Germany where they have cars doing 200+mph next to grandma doing 55 with no incidents because everyone knows how to drive and actually follows the well laid out rules?

If that is maniacal, then sign me up for the loony bin.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:05 PM

We know EA. We know.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:16 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
The quote from George Carlin, "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" comes to mind.

You've chosen 75mph as your "fast" but not "too fast" speed. Others set at 80, some at 70, some at 65. Why is 75 any more right than the other choices?

Bottom line (IMO), if a person is finding themselves being passed on the right, they need to move over. Sticking to 75 (or whatever speed) in a left lane when many people want to go faster is not causing a "safer" driving experience. Nobody ever rolled up behind you doing 80 and said "Aghast, my speed has crept up unbeknownst to me to an unsafe level. Thankfully this kind gentleman ahead of me has brought this fact to my attention. Cheerio!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabtrees View Post
I see a lot of comments to not drive in the fast lane if I don't like being tailgated for going to slow, well I'm driving 75mph, which is over the speed limit and grounds for a ticket if the cops weren't already too busy attending to yet another accident on the side of the freeway.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:30 PM

496 posts, read 365,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
The quote from George Carlin, "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" comes to mind.

You've chosen 75mph as your "fast" but not "too fast" speed. Others set at 80, some at 70, some at 65. Why is 75 any more right than the other choices?

Bottom line (IMO), if a person is finding themselves being passed on the right, they need to move over. Sticking to 75 (or whatever speed) in a left lane when many people want to go faster is not causing a "safer" driving experience. Nobody ever rolled up behind you doing 80 and said "Aghast, my speed has crept up unbeknownst to me to an unsafe level. Thankfully this kind gentleman ahead of me has brought this fact to my attention. Cheerio!".
Exactly. The whole idea is to not crash. The idea of someone getting in wrecks frequently, and saying I was not at fault is a fool.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:12 PM

Maniac driver: anyone who does more acceleration and braking (aka tailgating) than real driving. Sure, anybody could cherry pick a situation and make that point, but the OP is about people following too close. So if someone has to pass you on the right - so what? Does that excuse the reckless accident waiting to happen act of tailgating. Nope. The internet is a great place to try to justify bad behavior, and yes, it is bad behavior. Used to be drivers ed taught something call courtesy. With all of the *hit going on in peoples lives, a little courtesy goes a long way. Don't be a *ick. Get over yourself. You're not going to get where you're going that much quicker if all of the slow drivers get out of your way.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:22 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
Courtesy is a two way street (hehe). The person driving more slowly should also be courteous by moving over too. The act of both drivers working together makes for a safer driving experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Used to be drivers ed taught something call courtesy. With all of the *hit going on in peoples lives, a little courtesy goes a long way. Don't be a *ick. Get over yourself. You're not going to get where you're going that much quicker if all of the slow drivers get out of your way.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Courtesy is a two way street (hehe). The person driving more slowly should also be courteous by moving over too. The act of both drivers working together makes for a safer driving experience.
I stand by my definition and put aside your attempted sidetracking and derailment of the subject of discussion at hand - tailgating. Nothing to say about tailgating? I thought so. You can't discuss it because it's indefensible.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:47 PM

Maniac.

a person exhibiting extreme symptoms of wild behavior, especially when violent and dangerous

an obsessive enthusiast.

person suffering from mania.

I don't think this is a permanent affliction. I think it's more a temporary insanity type of deal. These drivers are more than likely otherwise good people, who lose their head at times and use their cars in dangerous methods and are unaware of the risk, yes unaware - as any sane person doesn't act this way. Not with lives at stake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas