Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 06:04 PM

307 posts, read 267,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
First off, why don’t you stop with your completely idiotic assumptions. I’m a filmmaker and own a production company, so no, not even close. I would never work something so boring as insurance. Second, the quality of life in Nevada is THE main reason to move there you nut! You’re absolutely right that Las Vegas is unique from anywhere that exists, which makes it so special. If you value quality of life at all and you’re rich, you can’t do any better than Las Vegas. More world class chefs than any city, endless entertainment options and now world class sports, sunny almost every day of the year, access to an airport that flies everywhere for traveling the world, and for me close proximity to Los Angeles where my industry is based. The tax savings are a BONUS, one of many reasons why Vegas is the best US city.

Almost any “con” of the city is a pro to me, by the way. I don’t have kids, never will, so it’s ideal if a state doesn’t have an expensive “top notch” education system. I don’t want to pay for it. I hate public transportation and never use it anywhere, so it’s ideal Vegas doesn’t waste money on that either. I don’t care if Vegas has higher unemployment or lower incomes, in fact since I never need a job there it can only benefit me by providing cheaper labor over other cities. So virtually every aspect of Vegas is perfect even other peoples’ “Cons.”

YOU are the one who doesn’t get it. Las Vegas is the best city in the US and there are a million reasons for that.
I was going to make my exit earlier but this is simply irresistible, so I shall savor this one last stew!

"World class chefs"... I almost pity you since you're rich and you haven't truly lived. Man, are you a brainwashed simpleton. Maybe one day with all your fortune and access to an airport that "flies everywhere" you might open up to actual culture and travel to some real U.S. port cities like San Francisco, Chicago or New York, where the restaurant scenes serve actual food instead of fancy decor and "has been" celebrity chefs who secretly laugh all the way to the bank while serving you straight out of Sysco trucks. Reminds me of "Throwdown with Bobby Flay", where he ludicrously challenges to outdo people in their own native cuisine. To anyone who understands food and culture, the city of Las Vegas simply won't come to mind. Ever.

"Endless entertainment options" huh? Yeah, I know... you must be so busy with all the things you do in Vegas, which is precisely why you waste your precious free moments responding to some stranger on the city data forum because he trashes your city?

"One of many reasons why Vegas is the best US city." Do you even listen to yourself blathering away? You speak on behalf of millions of people as if the world revolves around you and your own conceited interests. Most of Las Vegas encapsulates the broken dreams and worst nightmares of America's finest lost souls, cons, scumbags and washed up alcoholic junkies yet you "don't care". Sounds like you don't even know what a real, ideal U.S. city should look like. Meh, you're merely a Hollywood elite it seems, so you shouldn't have the slightest idea of how things "really are".

Last but not least, I gotta love the "world class sports". You are clearly not a sports fan because if you were you'd know that sports cities are very subjective and judged to their historical establishments. In case you really do not know this, EVERYBODY in sports hates the Golden Knights, and they will loathe the Raiders equally until the end of time. Las Vegas has always been the place for gamblers to flock to, sit their large behinds in an armchair and place bets on. Las Vegas will never be a real sports city. It will always be looked upon as an outcast from the sports world, much like the rest of the inhabitants of the city, castaways. Sports goes hand in hand with local culture and Las Vegas does not have local culture because everyone there is from somewhere else on cyclical rotation. There is also no foundation for creating a sports base in that city due to the lack overall interest in the existing populace. 1) Everyone hates Vegas sports teams by default. 2) There isn't even a local support structure for the teams to be celebrated by, ah I love it. Hey... "World class" everything though, lol.

Last edited by aswontsp; 05-22-2018 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 06:21 PM

109 posts, read 204,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
I was going to make my exit earlier but this is simply irresistible, so I shall savor this stew!

"World class chefs"... I almost pity you since you're rich and you haven't truly lived. Man, are you a brainwashed simpleton. Maybe one day with all your fortune and access to an airport that "flies everywhere" you might open up to actual culture and travel to some real U.S. port cities like San Francisco, Chicago or New York, where the restaurant scenes serve actual food instead of fancy decor and "has been" celebrity chefs who secretly laugh all the way to the bank while serving you straight out of Sysco trucks. Reminds me of "Throwdown with Bobby Flay", where he ludicrously challenges to outdo people in their own native cuisine. To anyone who understands food and culture, the city of Las Vegas simply won't come to mind. Ever.

"Endless entertainment options" huh? Yeah, I know... you must be so busy with all the things you do in Vegas, which is precisely why you waste your precious free moments responding to some stranger on the city data forum because he trashes your city?

"One of many reasons why Vegas is the best US city." Do you even listen to yourself blathering away? You speak and behalf of millions of people as if the world revolves around you and your own interests. Most of Las Vegas encapsulates the broken dreams and worst nightmares of America's finest lost souls, cons, scumbags and washed up alcoholic junkies yet you "don't care". Sounds like you don't even know what a real, ideal U.S. city should look like. Meh, you're merely a Hollywood elite it seems, so you shouldn't have the slightest idea of how things "really are".

Last but not least, I gotta love the "world class sports". You are clearly not a sports fan because if you were you'd know that sports cities are very subjective and judged to their historical establishments. In case you really do not know this, EVERYBODY in sports hates the Golden Knights, and they will hate the Raiders equally until the end of time. Las Vegas has always been the place for gamblers to flock to, sit their large behinds in an armchair and place bets on. Las Vegas will never be a real sports city. It will always be looked upon as an outcast from the sports world, much like the rest of the inhabitants of the city , castaways. Sports goes hand in hand with local culture and Las Vegas does not have local culture because everyone there is from somewhere else on cyclical rotation. There is no foundation for creating a sports base in that city due to the lack of a an base and overall interest. So it is kind of cruel, in that 1) everyone hates Vegas sports teams no matter what and 2) there isn't even a local support structure for the teams to be celebrated by, ah I love it. Just.... "World class" everything, lol.
"You speak and behalf of millions of people as if the world revolves around you and your own interests."

You sure do.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:49 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Oh really? It seems to have escaped you that many rich people DO actually value their quality of life, and that's why they stay in places where there is a strong safety net and strong social investment (California, Massachusetts, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington, Minnesota). People who come from generations of money realize this and it is very much inculcated into them from birth, it's known as "Noblesse Oblige". They also realize that they can't take all of their riches with them to the grave and would rather live in a social environment where there is some sense of equability and not the "each man for himself" type of environment that New Money people prefer. This is why wealthy people would rather reside in places like Paris and Tokyo, and not Mogadishu or Mumbai.

I know at this point in your life it's hard to realize such, but the world doesn't revolve around just you...

....But you listed....like four....?

I suppose -- in the grand scheme of things -- there has to be a "place" to catch all of the people who think the way that you do, and it might as well be Las Vegas, NV....much to the detriment of the few locals around there who would like to see some actual progress.
Then leave. If you think that's "progress," please by all means leave the great state of Nevada. There are DOZENS of other states more suited for your way of thinking, whereas Nevada is one of the few that's truly libertarian. I live in Oregon, it sucks, I lived in California for many years, and it sucks too. They both have monstrously high income taxes -- above 10% -- and a high cost of living almost everywhere in CA and all of the Portland metro area.

What is the meaning of saying, "The world doesn't revolve around you"? It doesn't have a meaning in this context. You get one life to live as you choose to live it, so my happiness is what's important, ultimately speaking. If you want to live your life to the benefit of other people that's certainly your choice, that's the great part -- it's YOUR life, you get to do with it as you please. But forcing other people to support whatever you think is a good idea by taxing the heck out of them isn't "progress." That's a recipe for bankrupt states like California. Your assumption is that people individually shouldn't be allowed to donate to the charities of their choosing -- for instance my family has a breast cancer research foundation dedicated to my mom who died of the disease and it's well funded -- they should have their money taken from them because Big Government knows best what to do with our money. I don't want to live in a place where people have that idiotic attitude. It doesn't work anywhere, it never has worked anywhere, and people who don't even understand basic economics well enough to get that concept aren't the people I want as my neighbors.

I like a state like Nevada where people don't want or won't tolerate high taxes, but they will tolerate individual expression and freedom of choice. Notice Las Vegas isn't full of uptight people, most people there don't care if you're gay, you're straight, you want to smoke weed, you enjoy drinking beer on the sidewalks, they don't care how you want to live your life, because they recognize that's your choice. But they darn well don't want their paychecks and hard-earned money taken by the government so the government can "do what's best for them." If you want a nanny state, what are you complaining about?! There are so many other states that offer that, I'm not begrudging you for wanting to live in one of them. That's the great part about America is you can choose where you want to live and find a place that's right for your views. That place for me is Las Vegas, not CA or OR, both of which I think are miserable places to live.

How many more reasons do you want to call Las Vegas a world class city? You seem to think that what makes a great city is what the city DOES for YOU, and you call me selfish? You are the one expecting handouts and expecting your city or state to take care of you, to do everything for you. I want my state to leave me alone because I know best what's going to make me happy and how to handle my life, thanks very much. If you're in NYC, they tell you what size of soft drink you can order from a restaurant, "for your own good." If you're in Los Angeles, strip clubs aren't allowed to serve alcohol. Now, I'm in a long-term relationship, I don't ever go to strip clubs, and I don't drink either, but I darn well think if someone wants to be drinking a beer when they walk out their front door across the street to check the mail they should be able to do that without breaking the law. Because it's none of the government's business what I do on a public sidewalk that my tax dollars funded unless I'm harming someone else. These uber liberal states think EVERYTHING is the government's business and that you should be told what to do if it's best for you or "best for society."

I have a newsflash for you: Society isn't something to be worshipped or served. "Society" is just a collection of individuals, each hopefully doing their best to live a happy, fulfilled life. Our society is great because it's made up of people who take risks, launch businesses, strive to become better people, and ultimately through their individual efforts improve everything around them. If all everyone did it sit around focused on "society," we wouldn't have iPhones, we wouldn't have computers, we wouldn't have much of anything. The best way for a society to flourish is to encourage innovation and risk-taking, to reward people who work hard, not to punish them or to make running a business more difficult than it already is for entrepreneurs.

You're welcome to follow your (bleeding) heart to OR or CA, I'll enjoy that there's one state in the U.S. that honors the actual intent of our founding fathers to be a nation where each individual can forge their own destiny and do so without being taxed into oblivion or have morality legislated for them.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:00 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
I was going to make my exit earlier but this is simply irresistible, so I shall savor this one last stew!

"One of many reasons why Vegas is the best US city." Do you even listen to yourself blathering away? You speak on behalf of millions of people as if the world revolves around you and your own conceited interests. Most of Las Vegas encapsulates the broken dreams and worst nightmares of America's finest lost souls, cons, scumbags and washed up alcoholic junkies yet you "don't care". Sounds like you don't even know what a real, ideal U.S. city should look like. Meh, you're merely a Hollywood elite it seems, so you shouldn't have the slightest idea of how things "really are".

Last but not least, I gotta love the "world class sports". You are clearly not a sports fan because if you were you'd know that sports cities are very subjective and judged to their historical establishments. In case you really do not know this, EVERYBODY in sports hates the Golden Knights, and they will loathe the Raiders equally until the end of time. Las Vegas has always been the place for gamblers to flock to, sit their large behinds in an armchair and place bets on. Las Vegas will never be a real sports city. It will always be looked upon as an outcast from the sports world, much like the rest of the inhabitants of the city, castaways. Sports goes hand in hand with local culture and Las Vegas does not have local culture because everyone there is from somewhere else on cyclical rotation. There is also no foundation for creating a sports base in that city due to the lack overall interest in the existing populace. 1) Everyone hates Vegas sports teams by default. 2) There isn't even a local support structure for the teams to be celebrated by, ah I love it. Hey... "World class" everything though, lol.
Then you're clueless. It's not a subjective debate, it's an objective fact that Las Vegas has more world class chefs than ANY other city. I've been to SF, I've been to NYC, both many times in fact, and there are great restaurants everywhere but there's nowhere else that has the selection of amazing restaurants that are on the Las Vegas Strip.

I don't know why you're on a Vegas forum bashing the city, or why you have such a venomous attitude toward the place and its people. You seem to think everyone in Vegas somehow moved there to gamble and to drink, and that they ran out of money and are all homeless living in tents in the desert, apparently. The sports world does NOT hate the Golden Knights, they are in fact one of the best stories in all of sports, right now or historically. Only idiotic die-hard hockey fans following loser franchises "hate" the Knights because they're envious that an expansion franchise could be an immediate winner. GOOD! You know the most hated team in all of sports? MY YANKEES! And I love it. The more hate, the better. But they're also the most popular baseball team, too, so who cares if they're hated? There is no franchise that is worth more money in baseball, that has more championships in all of sports, or that is more celebrated. So who cares even if everyone outside of Vegas did hate the Knights?! I hope they do one day! Maybe we'll crush some more dreams next year and the year after, and if I had it my way everyone on god's green earth will be sick and tired of the Knights winning the Cup ten years from now. Hatred in sports is great, which if you weren't a totally clueless individual you'd understand.

Also again with this nonsense of "the world revolves around you," I don't care what you think about anything. Your opinion literally could not be more meaningless. Each individual ONLY has their own perceptual experience, nobody else, you will never have the world revolve around anyone BUT you in fact. Because you'll never be anyone but yourself. So why do I care if 90% of people don't like something? The only opinion that matters or that will ever matter is MY opinion! I couldn't care less if you don't like Las Vegas, good, more room for the rest of us and we'll all enjoy the great weather, best entertainment you can find anywhere, awesome state laws and taxes, reasonable traffic, and every other amazing thing Vegas has to offer. It certainly doesn't need people like you, who are so clueless you couldn't find sand in the middle of the desert.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:14 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Several very wealthy people I know moved to Incline at Lake Tahoe... beautiful property... one is Tahoe Lakefront... none of them gave up anything but California Taxes.
We stayed at Incline Village last summer for a conference. I think we were at the Hyatt. The thing that was telling was there were at least 20 Teslas with California plates in the parking lot waiting for their turn at the battery chargers.

Departing the Bay Area for the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe to avoid CA income taxes is a time-honored tradition. For example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunde..._Tahoe,_Nevada) and George Whittell Jr. (or "Captain," as he liked to be called). Whittell was one of the wealthiest people in California 100 years ago when he bought most of what is now the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe, and built his home there for tax purposes. Yes, he had an estate in Hillsborough (I think) but claimed Nevada as home for tax purposes. George Whittell earned his money the old-fashioned way: he inherited it. He never went to college. By the age of 12 he had decided he would never work a day in his life. He succeeded. He spent his life spending his father's money.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:32 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
We stayed at Incline Village last summer for a conference. I think we were at the Hyatt. The thing that was telling was there were at least 20 Teslas with California plates in the parking lot waiting for their turn at the battery chargers.

Departing the Bay Area for the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe to avoid CA income taxes is a time-honored tradition. For example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunde..._Tahoe,_Nevada) and George Whittell Jr. (or "Captain," as he liked to be called). Whittell was one of the wealthiest people in California 100 years ago when he bought most of what is now the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe, and built his home there for tax purposes. Yes, he had an estate in Hillsborough (I think) but claimed Nevada as home for tax purposes. George Whittell earned his money the old-fashioned way: he inherited it. He never went to college. By the age of 12 he had decided he would never work a day in his life. He succeeded. He spent his life spending his father's money.
My kind of guy...unfortunately my father screwed up died young. Mother did great but too late.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:11 PM

307 posts, read 267,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post
I have to repeat this from an above post...love this quote:
It certainly doesn't need people like you, who are so clueless
you couldn't find sand in the middle of the desert.
You set the bar real low for yourself, you feel better now? At any rate, people like me don't go in search of what is already there. The logic behind that sentiment surrenders itself to a "follower" type mentality, the likes of which I do not possess. Just look around at the sheer abundance of barren desert terrain out there, it alone confesses to it's own worthlessness. Anything truly worth having in the world is either hidden or taken.

Nah, just kidding... it is all unicorns and rainbows just like everyone says.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:11 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Please make your points without being crappy to each other. That goes for two of you in particular.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:37 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
I’ve deleted a post because it was discussing moderation and it also called-out another poster here. You’ll get the gist, though, based on my reply here...

Please use the report function to report TOS violations, including trolling. Please just report and don’t quote or engage with trolls. Engaging with trolls and making it personal usually leads to off-topic bickering and personal attacks that can hijack a thread and lead to infractions for the instigator and for those responding. So please don’t refer to other posters as trolls, or make posts wishing a moderator would do something - just use the report feature. The ignore feature can be a useful tool as well.

I’m not the assigned moderator for this forum - a non-combatant/lurker reported the thread for review. That’s the way to do it. Thank you reporter, and thanks to you all for posting.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:17 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Back to the Las Vegas Real Estate overvaluation thesis of the Forbes article...

First, I gave up reading Forbes decades ago in favor of other business publications. For me, Forbes became too superficial and lacked evidence of analytical rigor.

Second, I rarely find real estate economics articles that are worth the time to read. I put this Forbes article in that category.

The entire notion of evaluating the affordability of residential real estate somehow comparing median home price with nominal income growth, population growth, rent growth, unemployment rates, and "home price index growth" and deriving an overvalued index they claim is accurate to a tenth of a percent is just silly.

It analyzes home purchase in the way others might analyze the purchase of an automobile or other consumer durable or perhaps college tuition.

The analysis completely ignores that residential real estate is not a consumer durable good. Residential real estate is an asset class in a portfolio, and investors rebalance their portfolios from one asset class to another all the time. When equity investments go up so the real estate slice of a portfolio gets smaller, people tend to rebalance and put more of their assets into real estate. It works in the other direction as well.

The Forbes analysis also ignores the economic benefit of owning a home and living in it: it affords the homeowner tax-free income in the amount of the fair market rental rate, as explained in this post: //www.city-data.com/forum/50834945-post71.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas