Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 AM

15 posts, read 57,733 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to attempt to start a forum/thread for substitute teachers in Vegas. I know it would be very helpful for some of us who are new to subbing in Vegas too. I just started and it would be helpful for me if others shared their stories (some of the horrors) with the different schools, grades, teachers (maybe), specialties they subbed for throughout the city. It might helps others in this forum as well that are moving to Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:39 AM

First off, I subbed for Reed elementary (close to North LV airport) on Winwood not too long ago. I wasn't very impressed with this school at all. Of course, this is just my first impression with the school and I only subbed there for a day so take it with a grain of salt. But, the school was just very disorganized, walking into the office was mayhem; people were everywhere and no greeted me which is not typical at all. After school was even worst. All they gave me was a key, I think that reflects on the school as well. Some of the schools I've been to give me a "sub folder" with all the processes and procedures of the school, even a standard (and VERY helpful) info sheet for the specific class. The teacher I subbed for was awful as well. We are all afraid to walk into (and elementary no less!) a class with no lesson plans...Yup! No lesson plans! This teacher was unbelievably disorganized and messy as well. I've never seen an attendance sheet where I couldn't even read the names and there was all this scribbly stuff all over it. There were some major behavioral problems
as well. Some of these kids aspire to be future gang members or something. Unreal. I never had a kid throw something at me and another say shutup to me before. Unreal.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:41 AM

Default Resource Room? Library?

Anyone subbed for a resource room teacher? Were you more one on one with the kids? Anyone subbed in the library? What sort of lesson plans did you have? Did you mostly just read to the students?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 22,482 times
I just sub for a FERTITTA MIDDLE SCHOOL today, mod cut:, GENERAL SCIENCE. The students were great but I can't say the same for the teacher. I subbed for mod cut: while she was on campus on meetings. To make a long story short, I didn't follow her lesson plans to a tea because of confusions. She insulted and put me down like I was one of her student saying things like " Have you ever subbed for Middle school before?". Being a sub is tough when you have days like this. Situation like this, you just report it to the principle, and not sub for this teacher again. I only run into situation like this once a month. The majority of teachers and staffs in Clark County are very respectful and welcome.

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-01-2009 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: let's leave out specific names of teachers. thanks.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:39 PM

This is a great forum to post schools and teachers you have with good and bad experiences in order to avoid a bad day I had. People don't realized words can hurt so much when you're being insulted and not respected.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:31 PM

Resource room are not that bad. Most of the time you are an aid to other teachers. You will more likely have less problems with kids from schools in a good area.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 PM

239 posts, read 641,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub303 View Post
I just sub for a FERTITTA MIDDLE SCHOOL today, mod cut:, GENERAL SCIENCE. The students were great but I can't say the same for the teacher. I subbed for MS. Brown while she was on campus on meetings. To make a long story short, I didn't follow her lesson plans to a tea because of confusions. She insulted and put me down like I was one of her student saying things like " Have you ever subbed for Middle school before?". Being a sub is tough when you have days like this. Situation like this, you just report it to the principle, and not sub for this teacher again. I only run into situation like this once a month. The majority of teachers and staffs in Clark County are very respectful and welcome.
When it appears that you are at a female Fred Flintstone look-a-like contest; run like Hell.

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-01-2009 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: quote edited

Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 7,152 times
I am in the process of becoming a substitute teacher and I am wondering how often I will be able to substitute. Is it possible to sub everyday or at least three days a week?

Old 01-12-2010, 12:53 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,606 times
you just report it to the principle

Oh boy! I think you mean Principal.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,452 times
I am taking my first substitute job in the district tomorrow. I have subbed for private schools for the last few years. I am looking forward to it! Wish me luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas