Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 06:43 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,859,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
You can get a nice Honeywell programmable thermostat at Lowe's or Home Depot for $30. Might be something to consider if you're leaving pets at home while you're gone.
How does this help the OP, who is worried about the A/C going out? A programmable thermostat isn't going to change anything.

A WiFi thermostat will at least notify him, either by the alarm feature in the app, if it has one, or the temp going a couple degree above the setpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 06:56 PM

This is what the temperature looks like inside a Las Vegas house when the A/C doesn't run. First pic is yesterday, when it never got hot enough for the A/C to run (away temp for upstairs is set to 88F). Second pic is a week ago yesterday, when I presume it was hotter. The vertical bars are the upstairs A/C unit running, starting around 4PM. Sorry for the large size, too lazy to resize.

This house was built in 1988 of typical tract home construction, and really has had nothing done to improve energy efficiency other than solar screens on west and south facing windows.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:25 PM

399 posts, read 693,752 times
A little off topic but is anyone prepared if the electric grid went down for a few days? Or a week or two or even longer? I'm not a survivalist but I have given some thought to the grid going dark. I have some supplies and equipment I think I would need to get by - uncomfortable for sure in this summer heat - but I think I would make out ok.

I think it is only wise to give the idea some thought. There have been reports in the news over the past few years of cyber attacks on our utilities and electric companies. The government could only do so much especially if it was wide spread outage covering the entire west coast and Rocky Mountain region.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:19 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
Hmm, hadn't thought of that BWNLV. I wonder if it's worthwhile to have a backup generator, I know it would still not matter if someone cut the gas line or if there was an issue with that, but I think that's less likely because earthquakes in Vegas are much less likely than in Reno or the West / central part of the state.

What's a safe temperature to keep a home when you're gone on vacation during the summer do you think? I don't know if I'd want my house getting much above 80, I feel like there are a number of things that aren't supposed to be stored at temperatures too high.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:25 AM

6,748 posts, read 3,364,822 times
I have a generator that we used to use in Illinois when the thunderstorms would knock out the power, sometimes for days. It has enough wattage to run a refrigerator and some other things (like fans) but not an AC unit. I also have a power cleaner/ regulator for using anything electronic since you can fry your stuff running it straight off a generator. I thought about selling it, but probably won't. You just never know.

We have friends that have a complete Kohler back-up system that runs the whole house, including AC, if the power goes out. There is a transfer switch that kicks it on automatically. I think they paid around $5K for it.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:59 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
Not a bad deal, I had an estimate for a Koehler system myself and it was about $7,800. I had already spent so much on other home stuff and my budget was beyond strapped but I would consider it for my next house. I was more annoyed by the supposed $200/year maintenance or so. Just because I felt like at that rate for us we could go stay at a hotel if anything happened right here. But that wasn’t considering a full city failure just a local area one.

Now I would probably look into the Tesla wall batteries that can tie into your solar system. They seem pretty sweet and I definitely plan to install solar again (I like it where I am, fun to track too).

Old 06-20-2018, 08:48 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

What's a safe temperature to keep a home when you're gone on vacation during the summer do you think? I don't know if I'd want my house getting much above 80, I feel like there are a number of things that aren't supposed to be stored at temperatures too high.
I usually set mine at about 82 when I am away. The cats can tolerate that temp just fine, it doesn't get TOO hot in the house, but the AC doesn't run non stop when I am away.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:21 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Get the time of use plan. Program the thermostats by your phone to run 78 degrees between 7pm-1pm

Old 06-20-2018, 10:11 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Make sure what you are dealing with. In 22 years we have had a half dozen power outages. One unscheduled that took 8 hours (Underground Cable burned out). One scheduled that took 5 hours or so. The others were all less than an hour. So how much is it worth to avoid these?

Old 06-20-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
If you're only going to be gone for a couple weeks, I wouldn't even bother touching the thermostat.

#1 on my list of concerns would be medications, which can't be stored in the fridge, and degrade at temps much above 80F. Chocolate bars will bloom or turn soft if it gets really hot inside.

We leave our house in Las Vegas empty for 3-9 months at a time, including most summers. I vacuum bag dry goods like rice and quinoa and throw them in the fridge before we leave. Vegetable oils get put in the fridge too. Downstairs thermostat is set at 85F when the house is empty during the summer.

If you had a vinyl record collection, or magnetic tape, I'd want to know the safe temps for long-term storage. I don't have any concerns like these, everything of value is in our CA home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: