Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 12:45 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'll 2nd that.

I don't know anything about the capital costs required for utility scale implementations. I found the below and thought you might be interested in some of the info here: https://www.quora.com/How-much-does-...ar-power-plant
The best indicator of what is happening is the LCOE being achieved in Dubai and Chile. This is the total cost for energy delivered from facilities coming on line in the mid 202x.

"At 2.99 US cents per kWh, the contract for Dewa's phase III awarded by Dewa to Masdar was the world's lowest unsubsidised solar power price in the first half of 2016. It was not a one-off occurrence. By September 2016, we witnessed another world record low tariff in Abu Dhabi with a new record-low levelised cost of electricity (LCOE) for large scale solar power at 2.42 US cents per kWh," Alen noted.

Chile is also getting bids under 3 cents per kwh.

i do not believe any of these prices are achievable in the US now...but soon.

And i would expect the eventual asymptotic price to be under 2 cents. And that is a different ball game.

Note the deserts of NV, AZ and CA are virtually ideal for this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 09:33 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
I'm voting NO. I see how APS in Phoenix literally rips off its customers. I've seen bills there where the ACTUAL electric costs were $25 and the bill was $125! Just ridiculous. They have all kinds of required TOU, demand usage billing, etc etc.
NVenergy is the good fairy compared to them. I think if most Las Vegans saw how APS is in Phoenix, they would appreciate NVenergy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of NVenergy; they have their issues. But I'd rather deal with the DEVIL I DO know, rather than the DEVIL I DON'T know. We don't know for sure if our bills will go down on the open market. Look at what happened in California. We can't let that happen.

Last edited by timothyaw; 07-01-2018 at 09:45 PM..

Old 07-02-2018, 10:56 AM

799 posts, read 707,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Your vote won't make a difference. Most people here will vote No, so we get to keep the monopoly.

If it's done right, we will get lower prices. If it's implemented poorly, we will get higher prices. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence to support both sides of the argument, in this country and in others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I guess it depends on if we feel lucky.

I think it's more about common sense than luck. This is asking to change the state Constitution, and leaving the details to politicians who are far more beholden to their big money donors than to the peon individual voters. You have a much better chance of getting rich off the roulette wheel than you do of the politicians implementing something like this "correctly" when you've written them a blank check before they even start.

I want to pay as little for electricity as the next guy, but I'm not into writing blank checks to politicians. And no matter how you try and sugar coat it, that's exactly what this does.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:31 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Here in MA, we've have a deregulated electricity market for years. TBH, I don't know if rates have changed dramatically but there really isn't much difference in price among the power providers.

The utility commission split the bill into two parts. The old utility - in my case Boston Edison, then NStar, and now Eversource - gets paid for delivery charges which works out to be $0.1216/kWh. My town has an aggregated contract with and energy supplier that residents can take advantage of which right now is $0.1299/kWh.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:29 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
If the initiative passed, could I theoretically disconnect my house from the grid and run on solar + batteries? That would mean I could cut out the $13 monthly basic service charge NVEnergy forces on solar users.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
If the initiative passed, could I theoretically disconnect my house from the grid and run on solar + batteries? That would mean I could cut out the $13 monthly basic service charge NVEnergy forces on solar users.
Actually I believe you can do that now. There are numerous houses in Clark County without any utility. Check out Cold Creek.

Doubt it makes financial sense at this point. Maybe in five years.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:18 AM

393 posts, read 503,711 times
I believe if you have other choices and people leave Nevada Energy, those of us that stay will have to pay more for our electricity. People leave Nevada Energy, the company looses money, and those who stayed with them pay more. Just a thought.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannaranch View Post
I believe if you have other choices and people leave Nevada Energy, those of us that stay will have to pay more for our electricity. People leave Nevada Energy, the company looses money, and those who stayed with them pay more. Just a thought.
In that case

1. Everyone will leave NE

or

2. The other companies will raise their rates to match NE

Nothing is free.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:41 PM

799 posts, read 707,947 times
I'm certainly not an expert, but I believe NV energy will still be paid for the "transmission" portion..their wires, transfomers, etc. So if it were to work like our broken neighbor state, you'd have an almost unreadable bill....part of it would show fees for transmission and infrastructure, parts for taxes and other junk fees , and parts from your energy supplier. You might even get two bills, one for the transmission side and one for the generation side. Of course they'll both have the "base service fee" added in, because now there would be two companies that have bookkeeping to do.

So, if NV energy was losing money, they'll just raise the transmission rates for everyone. And when they couldn't do that, they'd petition to raise the rates to add infrastructure, and maybe add another section to the bill.

Oh, and right before we moved, our local city decided they wanted in the power selling game, so we ended up "switched" to them for our power provider, without our input! I bet you never thought turning on a light switch could be so complicated....

Old 08-13-2018, 02:06 PM

Came across the Guinn study on Question 3. Basically they found the answer to whether rates will go up or down is not knowable. So the vote is do we go with the NVEnergy monopoly or try something else?

And the something else is a question of what the state legislature does on the statute side.

Here is the Guinn Report. Has all you may want to know about the available info.

https://guinncenter.org/wp-content/u...er-Q3-2018.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas