Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:03 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times

Advertisements

I am a Black male in my late 40s relocating to Vegas next month for about a year on work assignment. I will be living and working in southwest Las Vegas.

Please advise of your likes and dislikes of the area and things to watch out for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 07:28 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Can you be more specific? For example, "likes and dislikes" are things people typically think about prior to moving somewhere, but you've already made the decision to come for work.

Are you asking about, say, restaurants? open space? public schools? traffic? etc, etc?

Old 07-11-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Can you be more specific? For example, "likes and dislikes" are things people typically think about prior to moving somewhere, but you've already made the decision to come for work.

Are you asking about, say, restaurants? open space? public schools? traffic? etc, etc?
I love live music, comedy clubs and good restaurants. Occasionally I will go out to people watch at a gay club. Of course I am looking for something different while there. What is the gay community like? Is it diverse? Is it friendly to older men? I would love to try hiking since that is something I've never done. I'm sure there are meetups for that. Public schools are not an issue. Traffic I am sure I will find out once I get there. Living arrangements have been made for me. What are the farmers markets like?

Old 07-12-2018, 04:31 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
A year will go by fast. In N Out burger is a must.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:09 AM

628 posts, read 398,380 times
I have lived in both places. Technically Shiloh, Illinois across the river from St.Louis. Rents were really cheap back there.
I am your age, but I know nothing about the gay community. Go hiking in red rock or valley of fire.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:17 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Things I can comment on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I love live music, comedy clubs and good restaurants.
There is a ton of live music here. Several top-notch comedy clubs (I was just at the Comedy Cellar in Rio, built as a clone of the famed Comedy Cellar in NYC, and it was fantastic.) The foodie scene is stellar. You didn't mention wine, but most high end restaurants have extensive and superlative reserve wine catalogs - but they are not inexpensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I would love to try hiking since that is something I've never done. I'm sure there are meetups for that.
Yes, indeed. There are many beautiful areas nearby. I'd also suggest a weekend trip to, say, Bryce or Zion national parks a couple hours away in Southern Utah. And of course the Grand Canyon.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinVegasHeights View Post
I have lived in both places. Technically Shiloh, Illinois across the river from St.Louis. Rents were really cheap back there.
I am your age, but I know nothing about the gay community. Go hiking in red rock or valley of fire.
I've heard of Red Rock. Great advice.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:42 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
Love hiking at Lake Mead, Red Rock, Mt. Charleston and many local neighborhood hiking trails. There are meetup groups for hiking. And a group called Around the Bend Friends welomes newcomers and has a lot of people from the Summerlin area.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:20 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Farmer's markets? This is the desert and little grows here. Too dry and too hot. Yes, we have some with tired produce shipped in from California but no great veggies here. OK is as good as it gets!

There is an active gay scene but most of the gay people I know just hang out with everyone else. When you get here, check out the Las Vegas Blues Society on FB. They have lots of events every month.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:29 AM

228 posts, read 197,194 times
We are an older (54 & 56) gay married couple. We live in a 55 & older community that has its own LGBTQXYZ club. (there are a lot of us here) one more couple and we will change the name of the community to "Homo Heights" Our board VP is lesbian. SO yes very gay-friendly. Moved here from Texas and it was like being released from prison. You plan to spend a year here? I can tell you right now you will not be going back. My neighbours are black, Straight, and I like them best. And we have a lot of interacial couples gay and staight here in our "Hood". We were kind of scared when we moved here, coming from Texas; when the moving truck pulled up we had neighbours coming out of the wood work to welcome us. They are the ones who told us of the LGBTQ club at our club house. Our realator had already told some of the people she knew that we were a gay couple. This AIN"T L.A. Race, creed, religion doesn't mean **** here. Again you won't stay a year you will have come home. We don't go to gay bars as there is so much more to do and you will be accepted everywhere. You said you like hiking, in our community we have a hiking club. Check out Red Rock Canyon. Due to my knees, I can't do it. Live Vegas and you will LOVE Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas