Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 07:58 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Weather, low taxes, income.
Amen! And I also hate religion and make no apologies. If I want a good fantasy I’ll watch Lord of the Rings, thanks. The human mind has such an active imagination.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:41 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I just found out that there are no more Mormons in Utah.
Sure there are. They are the polygamous offshoots of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You'll find a lot of them in Hildale, Utah and in Colorado City, Arizona, too. What they aren't is "Latter-day Saints." Finally, we have a clear-cut distinction everyone can live with.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
My only close encounter (and yes I use that phrasing intentionally) is with a "family" that moved in down the street back in Iowa.

Holy crap!

Let's see if I can remember everything.

The older teenage son spent his time doing drugs and beat the living daylights out of his little brother. Usually in the front yard.

Dad bought a BMW sports car and spent most of his time screwing around on his wife.

The teenage daughter got pregnant out of wedlock. More than once.

We referred to them as the Morons.

When I was a kid they came to our house. My dad was going to kick their ass if they didn't get out of the neighborhood. Not just our house the entire neighborhood. Dad was cool like that. Never saw one again.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I just finished reading the article...

So, the Mormon Church President wants people who aren't Mormon/LDS/whatever-they-want-to-be-called to start calling their church, "The Church" instead of the "Mormon Church"???

To me, "The Church" will always be the Roman Catholic Church. Not just because I come from a Catholic background, but because the Catholic Chruch was (and still is, in many ways) one of the driving force of Western Civilization.
That's not exactly what President Nelson's statement said or even implied. He said that in referring to the church commonly called "the Mormon Church," the full name of the church should be used: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If, for instance, this is in a news article, subsequent references could be to just "the Church." That's entirely logical. There's no reason to call any church by anything other than their official name. Likewise, I would expect that in a news story, etc. about Roman Catholicism, the first mention of the organization would use the verbiage, "The Roman Catholic Church" and that when the church was mentioned subsequently, it be referred to as "the Church." Such a procedure is often used in various documents to avoid having to repeatedly state a long name of a religious, political or social entity. All President Nelson was doing was ask that the church he presides over not be called by a name that never has been recognized by that church. There is and never has been a "Mormon Church."

Quote:
The Mormon church is barely ....what? .....200 years old? ...If that?
So a church shouldn't be shown the respect of being called by its real name until it becomes how old? 500 years old? 750 years old?

Quote:
The biggest problem I've had with Mormons and Mormonism in general is the amount of hubris that both the Mormon church, and its individual members, often display.
That's unfortunate. There are bad apples in every group. For the most part, I have always found Catholics to be genuinely nice people, but even they have a few jerks.

Quote:
And, honestly, I'm not even going to get into the aspect of their bizarre dogmas...
That's good, because quite frankly, I would be willing to bet one year's salary that what you think Mormons believe is not what they really believe. I mean, I could say that Catholics practice cannibalism, but that would kind of be misrepresenting the doctrine of transubstantiation, wouldn't it?

Old 08-17-2018, 09:31 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,471 times
Great comments Katzpur. You do a good job at explaining these types of things. I agree with all you've said here.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Great comments Katzpur. You do a good job at explaining these types of things. I agree with all you've said here.
Couldn't rep you yet, but thanks!

Old 08-17-2018, 11:36 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
I do not know how anyone can read how the Mormon church wss founded and become a mormon.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:11 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
I do not know how anyone can read how the Mormon church wss founded and become a mormon.
There's a great South Park episode on it, and if you do the research, yes, that is really what they believe. It's laughable if you spend any time reading about it, but I find it entertaining at least.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:01 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Agreed. Same with Islam. **** that ****. It’s slavery.

The real Good Dude never asked for this ****. I’m a witch. No apologies. I’ve set water on fire. But I do not tolerate cults. Never have, never will.

Your relationship with God is your business. Not anybody else’s.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:27 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
All religions are silly fairy tales.
Mormonism, 7th day adventist, and scientologists are the daffiest.

I would say Kaballah but I think that is just Madonna. Lol.

And for the record, I'm talking about the religions. Not individual people.
All the mormons I know are really nice people.

I'm too poor to know any scientologists so I can't comment on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas