Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 04:37 PM

38 posts, read 20,930 times

Advertisements

Trying to upload the screenshot of part of the ticket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 04:39 PM

Old 08-18-2018, 06:48 PM

Does the Justice court actually do payment plans??? I see nothing on their site.

We figured it out..the case is on their website now and the fine is $1255. No way can we afford that.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:59 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,693 times
The first thing I would do if I were In your shoes is get the vehicle emissions inspected and then registered here in Nevada. Then go to Court and explain your situation to the Judge.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
The first thing I would do if I were In your shoes is get the vehicle emissions inspected and then registered here in Nevada. Then go to Court and explain your situation to the Judge.

That's exactly what we will be doing.

My biggest fear right now is could he go to jail for this???
It has on the court page that these traffic tickets are considered a misdemeanor charge.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:10 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
The government services tax (the big $$ portion of registration) on a 2006 Mazda Tribute is likely below or close to $100, not $500. Even if you have a different Mazda, based on the average MSRPs in 2006, the fees are next to nothing. Smog is $20-$43 for light duty gas vehicle. There are coupons on the internet for $18.

From NV DMV website Nevada Traffic Laws
"The fines are $50 for the first offense in seven years, $100 for the second and $250 for the third and subsequent offenses. Fines are subject to doubling if the offense occurs in a work zone. Courts may assess additional administrative fees.
The first offense is not treated as a moving violation. A second or subsequent offense carries 4 demerit points."

No good answer about a traffic lawyer. Maybe they know what the court accept as diversions or payment plans for low income offenders--I have no idea.
This is completely true... I don't even live in Vegas yet, but I have researched that as recently as just 5 days ago. My Camaro, which was $40,000 upon buying it, would be 7 years old by the time I move to Las Vegas and their taxes on a car at that age, I believe it came to like $196 (plus a few other fees), so an even older car that was even cheaper upfront, absolutely no way it's $500. Even my 2 year old SUV that was $30K I think came out to like $320 or something plus the other nominal fees.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
This is completely true... I don't even live in Vegas yet, but I have researched that as recently as just 5 days ago. My Camaro, which was $40,000 upon buying it, would be 7 years old by the time I move to Las Vegas and their taxes on a car at that age, I believe it came to like $196 (plus a few other fees), so an even older car that was even cheaper upfront, absolutely no way it's $500. Even my 2 year old SUV that was $30K I think came out to like $320 or something plus the other nominal fees.

I think they meant if the car was to be fixed up to pass an emissions test...which if it fails...you must pay for new parts etc. Which I found out is. Catalytic converter which is like $500.

As for the tickets...hes being charged way more than 50 for a first time offense and the out of state registration is $1255, which is the fine he was given. They seem to have a set price fee for that.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:38 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBanana View Post
I think they meant if the car was to be fixed up to pass an emissions test...which if it fails...you must pay for new parts etc. Which I found out is. Catalytic converter which is like $500.

As for the tickets...hes being charged way more than 50 for a first time offense and the out of state registration is $1255, which is the fine he was given. They seem to have a set price fee for that.
They will generally waive that or most of it if you simply register the car in NV. I got into it when I first came to LV. Actually could have fought it and likely won but the lawyer said it was not worth the cost. I could have won as I still lived in both states and the car went back and forth. The ticket was because I was driving with a NV license.

I would strongly suggest one of the traffic lawyers.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:39 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBanana View Post
Courts get around the fine by adding court costs, which often eclipse the fine by huge percentages. Long ago, I did a defensive driving course to cancel out a speeding ticket (different state). The course cost was the same as the fine plus court costs, but the ticket never hit my record--value not measured in dollars.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
They will generally waive that or most of it if you simply register the car in NV. I got into it when I first came to LV. Actually could have fought it and likely won but the lawyer said it was not worth the cost. I could have won as I still lived in both states and the car went back and forth. The ticket was because I was driving with a NV license.

I would strongly suggest one of the traffic lawyers.
Got in touch with several lawyers already. Been In touch this weekend. Doing a conference call with one major one here tomorrow and today.

Also..it was told to us that the car must pass the emissions things before it can even be registered. Im.confused now..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: