Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 05:54 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times

Advertisements

I don't think most teachers are lazy and uninvolved at all.
I think they are just doing what they're told to do and that is the issue.

I've been to schools in several states. I know several teachers. My kids have gone to 4 different schools. Every one of their teachers has been enthusiastic and involved.

I don't like what they teach. A few teachers have used methods I personally dislike. But I wouldn't call them lazy or uninvolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 08:38 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I don't think most teachers are lazy and uninvolved at all.
I think they are just doing what they're told to do and that is the issue.

I've been to schools in several states. I know several teachers. My kids have gone to 4 different schools. Every one of their teachers has been enthusiastic and involved.

I don't like what they teach. A few teachers have used methods I personally dislike. But I wouldn't call them lazy or uninvolved.
My 12yo went to Piggott for K-5. She had one amazing teacher, the rest no good. When she hit middle school, she took off. If you ask her what changed she will tell you that her teachers at Piggott were terrible. Her middle school teachers use apps to communicate and she likes that. One of the teachers commented to her that she is the only kid that uses Infinite Campus (As 08grad brought up). She had all A's last report card and is in some accelerated classes this year. She wanted to do online learning but brought it up at the last minute and I didn't have the time to look into it.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:44 PM

587 posts, read 304,635 times
Take it all on line and turn the schools into city parks and trade schools..

Old 08-24-2018, 05:14 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,630,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
With clark county school district being one of the largest in the nation, of course it is going to have some issues to improve upon.
Yeah I heard it was like the 5th largest or something? I'm kind of curious, why does that make the most sense? Or does it? I mean, couldn't you split that up into a number of smaller school districts for more precise management? Not saying that would be better, but I wonder if part of the problem is running such a large school district.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:26 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times
Too long, didn't read. Move back to California.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:49 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Too long, didn't read. Move back to California.
Really???

It was -- maybe -- two pages...? If even that? ...And you couldn't be bothered to read it?

Seriously?

------------------------------------

Honestly, though, what the OP writes about is the fate of any working-class city with a majority non-educated population.

Las Vegas is one of the last cities in America where one can be unskilled and find work, or be unskilled and then rapidly trained for work.

Because of this, it's attractive to people who don't have education as a priority in their lives. It is what it is. The only other place I know that compares to Las Vegas on this level is Orlando, Florida. That's because -- again -- you don't need serious skills to work in the hospitality/tourism industry or wear a Mickey Mouse costume.

Las Vegas has the extra burden of being next door to California -- a state that is rapidly expelling its unskilled/low-skilled population! To be in California, and make it, you either need a Master's degree, dual incomes in a burgeoning field, or a highly valued skill/professional trade. To have any of the three of those things requires personal acumen, planning and prioritization of education.

California is not a kind place to anyone who lacks in any of the aforementioned. Younger people who don't value education, who cannot plan and who don't have good financial acumen ultimately end up knocking on Nevada or Arizona's door eventually.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:02 PM
EA

My son's 3rd grade school work, in a top rated magnet school, is dividing by 1.

My 8th grader is doing slide puzzles....

Class size and funding are pointless when we're not actually teaching our kids anything useful.
It's the second week of school and my kids are already bored by the ease.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:23 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
My son's 3rd grade school work, in a top rated magnet school, is dividing by 1.

My 8th grader is doing slide puzzles....

Class size and funding are pointless when we're not actually teaching our kids anything useful.
It's the second week of school and my kids are already bored by the ease.
I spent my life in school bored. Never had an interesting class until late high school and college and then they were rare. Curse of being bright.

Now my home life was different. Mother and father were both well educated. Mother was in fact close to the world's best student. I don't know how bright she was... but she graduated college "Summa *** laude" at 19 with a kid...me. Through an LLM in Taxation at NYU she had one C. From an elderly professor who believed females did not belong in the profession. He "voluntarily" retired right after giving the grade.

Used to drive the nuns nuts. Hid in the deep part of the class room and paid only minimal attention. Got in big problems in the sixth grade when I was caught reading "Tales of the South Pacific" in class. Sent home in a doubly sealed envelope. Mom gave it back to me and said not to antagonize the nuns...whom she liked. And actually so did I...I stuttered and had a couple of other speech defects - but the Principal, Sister Marie de Chantal, was trained as a speech therapist. And she fixed me well enough that only a well trained professional would ever guess I stutter. Only thing I cannot do is talk to people who stutter...

So those of us who are pretty bright have to deal with it until we find an escape route. But virtually all of us do.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:27 PM
EA

I think we should be focusing on the brightest students instead of the dumbest. The bright are more likely to do something. The dumb are going to be dumb even with all the help in the world.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:47 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,630,923 times
Quote:
I think we should be focusing on the brightest students instead of the dumbest. The bright are more likely to do something. The dumb are going to be dumb even with all the help in the world.
Yup, we think exactly the same. I don’t care if it’s mean to someone, that’s my entire philosophy of life. I would never waste 5 seconds of my time helping the mediocre or worse, but I’d gladly help the exceptional to realize their potential. The world shouldn’t bow down backwards to make sure everyone is sort of semi-functional or dumb everyone down just for the sake of the lowest members of society. History remembers the winners and countries have never been and will never be judged by their losers and dumbest members, they’ll always be judged by how many great people arise so the soil should be laid for greatness to thrive and no focus should be wasted on mediocre / average people or dumber. It’s a waste of everyone’s time and resources. Give me one Steve Jobs over a million derpy half-formed humans with nothing useful to offer anyone. You can’t fix stupid, but you can encourage greatness and fan that flame into a raging fire that changes the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: