Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 06:10 PM

947 posts, read 787,190 times

Advertisements

I had a small manageable inguinal hernia that I ignored and didn't wear a hernia truss when working out. Now, six months later, it appears I've torn it a bit bigger. Now there is a noticeable bulge on the right side of my lower abdomen (classic right side inguinal hernia). I just got a truss today so perhaps I can postpone surgery. I can easily push the protrusion back inside and it recedes completely when I lie flat. However, I've read it's best to have it repaired sooner, rather than later, because it may get bigger over time. Smaller repairs are easier to do and less likely to reoccur.

So, has anyone reading this in Las Vegas had any experience with hernia repair? Was it successful and can you recommend a surgeon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 06:39 PM

755 posts, read 399,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
I had a small manageable inguinal hernia that I ignored and didn't wear a hernia truss when working out. Now, six months later, it appears I've torn it a bit bigger. Now there is a noticeable bulge on the right side of my lower abdomen (classic right side inguinal hernia). I just got a truss today so perhaps I can postpone surgery. I can easily push the protrusion back inside and it recedes completely when I lie flat. However, I've read it's best to have it repaired sooner, rather than later, because it may get bigger over time. Smaller repairs are easier to do and less likely to reoccur.

So, has anyone reading this in Las Vegas had any experience with hernia repair? Was it successful and can you recommend a surgeon?
I had surgery for an umbilical hernia about 20 years ago. Seemed successful at first but not now. They put in a mesh, and say if it doesn't bother me there's no need for more surgery. The only surgeon in LV I would recommend does hips.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:57 PM

755 posts, read 399,145 times
I've had my share of surgeries in LV, one was convicted of murder, and another lost his license after being found passed out in his car in the middle of Sahara with an eight ball of coke and an 18 year old hooker, dressed only in underwear with a dog collar on. Good luck.

Last edited by Commander666; 08-26-2018 at 07:20 PM..

Old 08-27-2018, 10:07 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,721,022 times
Dr Golam Choudhury. Older experianced surgeon in Vegas.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:45 PM

37 posts, read 51,350 times
Dr. Craig L Iwamoto

Old 08-28-2018, 10:13 PM

550 posts, read 637,395 times
It's really a short flight and an UBER to UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center. No, really.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:38 PM

120 posts, read 167,201 times
No mesh! Tell your doctor/surgeon. you don't want it!

Old 09-01-2018, 03:27 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Hawaii98 View Post
No mesh! Tell your doctor/surgeon. you don't want it!
I have to agree with this. My former husband had a hernia repair using that stuff, and not only did he get a life threatening post-surg infection, but the fix didn’t even last a year.

Make them sew it up the old fashioned way.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:05 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,721,022 times
The nylon mesh used today is not the same stuff that created a lot of problems in the past. Plus it all depends on your body condition. Surgeons only use mesh if they feel the stomach lining wont hold up over time after the surgery.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:34 PM

947 posts, read 787,190 times
My insurance would not pay for an out-of-network physician, so I'm confined to Las Vegas if I want insurance to cover it.
If my PCP will not authorize surgery, I would likely go to Mexico to have it done. The risk would be what to do if there were post-surgical issues, but that would be the same if it were done in Mexico or LA.

I've read the mesh is actually better than not because it is less likely to tear. Also, the newer mesh somehow bonds with human tissue. A friend had that done 4 years ago with no problems. I watched a video where mesh was used. The doc stated the mesh should not be pulled tight over the opening, so there is a bit of give to allow for expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: