Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 05:24 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Also monumentally misinformed.
On a lot of topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 07:08 PM

32 posts, read 22,223 times
Wow, didn't mean to make people argue. Honestly, it sucks. Again, I am only 38 years old, so going to 55 isn't happening. I get cursed out on a daily basis, suck my dick, ******, get the **** out of my face, I have been hit several times. Don't want to dwell on that. If a house in NY is $600k, making $100k isn't as great. I would have to get my own insurance, even though I am vested, not at legal retirement age. Easy for certain people to say how wonderful it is while not dealing with poverty and crime ridden schools.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:09 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasmusmrr View Post
Wow, didn't mean to make people argue. Honestly, it sucks. Again, I am only 38 years old, so going to 55 isn't happening. I get cursed out on a daily basis, suck my dick, ******, get the **** out of my face, I have been hit several times. Don't want to dwell on that. If a house in NY is $600k, making $100k isn't as great. I would have to get my own insurance, even though I am vested, not at legal retirement age. Easy for certain people to say how wonderful it is while not dealing with poverty and crime ridden schools.
I hear you. I somehow made it to 30 years but I couldn't leave fast enough. We actually looked at Las Vegas first but there were more teaching opportunities in Los Angeles for my wife.

Just remember that you have to make it to 20 years to collect 2% per year otherwise it's like 1 2/3% for every year you worked.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-06-2018, 03:16 AM

Yes, I am aware. I max out the TDA, 457B, Roth IRA every year. Even getting to 20 years is very doubtful. Just starting year 17 now...

Old 09-09-2018, 06:00 PM

I've had enough and it has only been 2 instructional days. I may be on my way shortly.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:29 PM

949 posts, read 788,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
No teacher gets 3 months vacay! Teachers return to work before the students’ term begins and work past the time the students’ terms end. Most teachers supplement supplies using personal funds because most public school districts fail to properly fund needed classroom materials. And while you are watching your evening TV shows, teachers are too — while grading students homework or quizzes or preparing lesson plans. While you are leaving your desk to chat with coworkers or go to the rest room, teachers are waiting for a scheduled break to be able to use the restroom. They put up with spoiled kids and incredibly rude parents. They deserve 2x the money they earn; they earn 2x the money they are paid.
I come from a family of teachers: mom, sister and her husband, nephew and his wife. Half of her career, my mom taught Special Ed. She eventually got away from Special Ed, only to end up teaching 35+ pupils in a split-grade classroom (2nd & 3rd grade). Finally she got to teach only one grade. I remember many week nights sitting at the kitchen table helping correct student papers. But not all the teachers took work home. She used to always say the "new" (1970's) teachers were different because they never took work home. Maybe my mom was lucky, but she put in one extra week at the end of the school year, part time, and one extra week before the new school year started. Otherwise, her summers were free. The problem she had was that we lived in the Appalachian mountains of PA, where teacher's pay was near the bottom of professional pay scales. There was no pension either. My mom belonged to a union, PSEA, that had a pension system.

I worked in IT. I also had to work evenings and weekends, and 10+ hour days on a regular basis, where taking vacation was frowned upon. I took a vacation about every 7 or 8 years. My final job had me on call 24/7. One job I worked 65 days straight. Some of my co-workers got up to 90 days without a day off. There were multiple times I had to work through the night. One of my co-workers told me she left Microsoft because she got tired of watching the sun rise while still at work! And yes, I had to sometimes handle angry customers. If an issue required me to get on the phone with a customer, Customer Support had failed to resolve their issue and they were typically furious by then. Continued employment required continuing self-education. "Free" Saturday afternoons were frequently filled with reading dry books on new programming techniques, new technology, new programming frameworks, etc. Just part of what management expected us to do. When my mom was still alive, she even would ask why we had to work so many hours!

Thankfully, I was well paid for it, but no pension for me. Regardless, as soon as I could retire, I did just before turning 58. I had been fighting stress related insomnia for years and it was only getting worse, especially when I got stuck on call. It's just my savings now and SS to come later. Luckily I maxed out SS nearly 27 of 35 years.

Last edited by mitchmiller9; 09-18-2018 at 12:12 AM..

Old 09-19-2018, 07:28 PM

And everything has gotten worse, from the students who have absolutely no respect for anyone to the free grades that students in high school get despite being unable to read and write to the evaluation system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: