Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 11:45 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Tipping for carryout: As for modern tipping etiquette, according to Peter Post and his institute, there is “no obligation” to tip on takeout, but one should tip 10% for “extra service (curb delivery) or a large, complicated order.” ... “There's no need to leave a tip when picking up take-out
This is the way I have always done it. I don't tip if all someone has done is hand me a bag, but if they bring it to the car or it is a large order, I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 12:07 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rss702 View Post
Everyone in this town expects a tip.
Ain't that the truth. A rule I have set: If someone quotes a price for anything then hangs around after the job is done expecting a tip they not only don't get a tip they don't get called the next time I need a job done.

If you can't get out a calculator and figure out what you need to charge to make a living maybe you should go work at McDonald's. "Cause you sure as hell won't be working for me again.

And I don't tip when I have to drive to someplace, walk in the door, and ask for my order. Your job is to make food, or whatever it is you do. Again, if you're too dumb to figure out how much to charge for your services so you make a decent living and charge that much up front it's not my problem. It's yours.

If you bring food to my house you'll get a tip.

If you wait on me in a restaurant, are pleasant, and do a good job you'll get a tip. The percentage depends on you. And I am a good tipper when the service is good. The places I go to regularly have wait staff that know this and take care of any party I'm in accordingly.

In this town you have to set boundaries or they will suck you dry.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:34 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
I tip valet guys, servers, the dude at the shop where you get your smog done, the maintenance man, drivers, and food delivery people. I got treated like a queen in Oakland. I guess they don’t have the same tipping culture

Old 09-01-2018, 02:00 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Ain't that the truth. A rule I have set: If someone quotes a price for anything then hangs around after the job is done expecting a tip they not only don't get a tip they don't get called the next time I need a job done.

If you can't get out a calculator and figure out what you need to charge to make a living maybe you should go work at McDonald's. "Cause you sure as hell won't be working for me again.

And I don't tip when I have to drive to someplace, walk in the door, and ask for my order. Your job is to make food, or whatever it is you do. Again, if you're too dumb to figure out how much to charge for your services so you make a decent living and charge that much up front it's not my problem. It's yours.

If you bring food to my house you'll get a tip.

If you wait on me in a restaurant, are pleasant, and do a good job you'll get a tip. The percentage depends on you. And I am a good tipper when the service is good. The places I go to regularly have wait staff that know this and take care of any party I'm in accordingly.

In this town you have to set boundaries or they will suck you dry.

This is exactly the way it should be. You tip for all the right reasons and don't tip for all the right reasons.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:18 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,551,499 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_vivC7c_1k

Old 09-01-2018, 10:50 AM

That was funny! I have to say though, that I went to a restaurant in CA where they didn’t allow tipping because it was included in the bill. It was the worst service I’ve ever had. They just didn’t care. ((Shrug)) I think it’s a pain in the ass too, but in Las Vegas culture, carry around some small bills.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That was funny! I have to say though, that I went to a restaurant in CA where they didn’t allow tipping because it was included in the bill. It was the worst service I’ve ever had. They just didn’t care. ((Shrug)) I think it’s a pain in the ass too, but in Las Vegas culture, carry around some small bills.
Smile at your waitperson when they first come to the table. Tell them you noticed the no tipping sign. Tell them that if they do a good job some extra money will given them discreetly. The result is better service and making someones day a little better.

You know their wages suck.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Smile at your waitperson when they first come to the table. Tell them you noticed the no tipping sign. Tell them that if they do a good job some extra money will given them discreetly. The result is better service and making someones day a little better.

You know their wages suck.
Next time we get together, I’m going to tell you some of my ex’s stories. He went into waiting about 15 years ago when he burned out in his previous profession. Hilarious stuff.

My rule is if your service is great, you get 25%. Average or slowish but pleasant, you get 20%. Not very good? 10%. Anything worse than that, I’m going to speak to the manager and my meal will be comped. I dislike incompetence.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:43 PM

I dislike ahole diners. Some of our friends in a previous life were. One of the women bumped the arm of the server (friend was drunk even before we got to the restaurant) and the food landed on her. She started screaming at the waitress for doing it when it was her fault. The instigator in the group (always stirring up trouble then laughing about it) was egging her on.

When we left we found out that none of them (four people) had tipped the waitress because of it. I went back in and found her waiting on a table and crying. I made her take what I estimated the tip should have been and told not to let a bunch of jerks affect her like that. I told her I saw what happened and knew it wasn't her fault.

I got a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

After that we spent much less time with those people. Never for dinner.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:58 PM

And ^^ this is why I have always liked Tekkie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: