Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 01:17 PM

140 posts, read 277,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Watched it last night. Chilling. And everyone thinking this only happens in NV is wrong. Happens in other places too.

Who is this teflon coated Jason Schafer person and how is he so 'connected' that he escaped prosecution? And why are those judges still on the bench? Commissioners still commissioners?
According to this article, Jared Shafer (not Jason Schafer) is Catherine Cortez-Masto's godfather. (terminology is apropos): https://aaapg.net/nevada-speculation...been-indicted/

More details: https://freebeacon.com/politics/fami...fuls-inaction/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 01:37 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnoliablossom View Post
According to this article, Jared Shafer (not Jason Schafer) is Catherine Cortez-Masto's godfather. (terminology is apropos): https://aaapg.net/nevada-speculation...been-indicted/

The real issue right along has been clear. The law enforcement agencies believe these matters are civil not criminal. And Jared Shafer is a classical example. He was undoubtedly a crook but he dots all the i s and crosses the ts. So the cops and the AG do not want to touch it. Not clear whether the changes in the law have modified that.

Note that Hansom has sued Shafer and I think it is still in the courts. But we do need a better solution.

Old 01-01-2020, 04:16 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnoliablossom View Post

Thanks for correcting my mistake. And the information about Cortez-Masto. If she is protecting this guy, how can she claim to advocate for the people and why was this not a campaign issue? I never heard about it till you told me.

Old 01-01-2020, 04:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Thanks for correcting my mistake. And the information about Cortez-Masto. If she is protecting this guy, how can she claim to advocate for the people and why was this not a campaign issue? I never heard about it till you told me.
The relationship of Cortez-Masto was played up in the RJ articles. Actually Shafer was heavily connected well before Cortez-Masto. Her father got him in years ago as a Public Guardian.

Again though the real problem here was that the public agencies all treated this as a civil matter requiring civil solutions which were not practical. I think now the clients get an attorney so they will have a much stronger voice.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:33 AM

111 posts, read 95,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Isn't this very old news about a situation that was brought to light and dealt with?
Yes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjvMjjPqE54

Old 01-05-2020, 08:50 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Quote:
Watched it last night. Chilling. And everyone thinking this only happens in NV is wrong. Happens in other places too.

Who is this teflon coated Jason Schafer person and how is he so 'connected' that he escaped prosecution? And why are those judges still on the bench? Commissioners still commissioners?

I was a court appointed guardian for my father. It was a lot of work and a lot of responsibility. I had to submit to the court an accounting of every penny spent from my father's estate. In one of the court room videos it came to light that Jason Schafer had never submitted any accounting of expenses in 12 years and the elderly person's money, 400K, was just gone. That right there should have been enough to put him in jail. He is still out there free. They stole an awful lot of money. People died because of what they did. Others spent years drugged up in nursing homes or psych wards. And the only 'crime' they committed was being old.

I also wondered how all these people could say they did not know what was happening. Where were all the certified letters that were required? They would go to post office and have the victims mail forwarded BEFORE guardianship had been granted by the court so the certified letters and notifications were received by the people stealing their assets. I thought that was a Federal crime. How many of these people's constitutional rights were violated? I can think of several. So where were the Feds? And why wasn't the state held responsible as well?

All in all this case was sort of like putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound. When April Parks was finally convicted/put in jail. I thought justice had been done. But she was one of many and perhaps just a convenient scapegoat they used to make the problem go away? Yes, she was guilty and got what she deserved but what about the rest of them?

I finished watching it the other day and chilling is an understatement. The part that got me was just how in cahoots everyone was. Lawyers covering for opposing council not showing up to hearings 3 TIMES. Judges cowering to Jareds demands to clear the court when things weren't going his way (what other private citizen could do that?). Physicians assistants producing documents stating the elderly where incompetent (PA's aren't even authorized to do that but in these cases they didn't even examine the people). Even the people on the panel investigating this seemed in on it. Everyone was working together to separate old people from their money and get their share.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:37 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I finished watching it the other day and chilling is an understatement. The part that got me was just how in cahoots everyone was. Lawyers covering for opposing council not showing up to hearings 3 TIMES. Judges cowering to Jareds demands to clear the court when things weren't going his way (what other private citizen could do that?). Physicians assistants producing documents stating the elderly where incompetent (PA's aren't even authorized to do that but in these cases they didn't even examine the people). Even the people on the panel investigating this seemed in on it. Everyone was working together to separate old people from their money and get their share.
I agree. There should have been a massive house cleaning and ALL those people should have gone to jail. Where were the Feds? Seems to me that kidnapping old people would be highly illegal and violate at least a few constitutional rights. And it appears that the AG was complicit as well.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:24 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,853 times
This case was mishandled. This case should have solely been investigated and prosecuted by the feds. Classic case of state and local government racketeering. This will happen again. Unless the judges, lawyers, healthcare professionals, and state bureaucrats are held accountable in a criminal conspiracy, history will repeat itself. Innocent, vulnerable people were essentially being seized and locked up by instruments of the state without due process of law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas