Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 11:25 AM

241 posts, read 143,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIS719 View Post
I have been renting a home in Vegas (Henderson) for about 3 years now, and have been blessed with a fantastic landlord, but I will be moving to a new rental house in a couple of months. I've heard the rental/landlord horror stories from others here in Vegas, and I have done some research on several property management companies of houses we were interested in, and there are horror stories and bad reviews of every one of them I have researched. The bad review comments range from the cleanliness/readiness of houses upon move in, to ignoring maintenance requests for necessary utilities. I understand that some people are impatient, or just hard to please, so I've tried to take the reviews with a grain of salt, but some concerns are perfectly valid.

That said, what is the recourse (if any) here in Vegas regarding a non compliant landlord? Does Las Vegas/Henderson have a housing authority that will help you reach an expedient resolve? What is the legality of, say, hiring your own repair man, and subtracting the cost from your rent, if it were a vital need utility, or safety issue?
An important thing to remember is that most people are not compelled to post reviews when they are happy especially for something like an apartment. So it’s best to do your own independent research by going to that Property Management Company’s office and seeing if it’s clean, seeing if the employees are knowledgeable, do things like call their 800 after hours to see if there is a menu option for emergencies, tour the properties under their management and see if they are in good condition. I have lived in places that were safe, clean, and friendly but if you go on Yelp the reviews would make you think place was a ghetto whorehouse off J Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 12:56 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,548,972 times
You do have recourse as a tenant. It's called moving out. There's no benefit to a landlord nickel and dimeing a good tenant or dragging their feet on necessary repairs.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:27 PM

114 posts, read 119,997 times
Ok, need a little help. So, we decided on a property, and put down a deposit. Our move in date was suppose to be next Saturday (10/27). The management company said they'd get a crew in prior to clean it, and do repairs prior to move in. We called the realtor 4 days ago and asked for a walk through, to make sure the cleaning and repair work had been done, before we sign anything, and pay the rent. He said that we could do it on Sunday (today), and that he would call us on Friday. No word Friday, and we tried to call him yesterday; phone went straight to voicemail, but voicemail was full so we couldn't leave a message. Tried to call the management office, but it is closed. ok, here's the real sketchy part. Tried going to the management's website, and the page is blank, except for big letters that say "ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SUSPENDED". The management company is "First United Management Group", realtor Chris Penna. What do you suppose we do now?? They have our deposit, and I have given my notice at my current rental property.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:00 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,548,972 times
Ugh, that doesn't sound good. I hope you didn't put down a huge deposit. How did you find the rental? Is it an apartment complex or a condo complex?

Old 10-22-2018, 08:27 AM

265 posts, read 204,583 times
I moved out early from my rental unit and my landlord has another week to give back my security deposit. I was a good tenant, took great care of his unit, even painted the walls when I moved. Moved out 2 weeks early and he will wait 6 weeks to give it back to me. By law he's allowed to, but still just taking his shot I forget.

I understand there are a lot of low life/broke people who rent here who may gamble, drink, snort or blow away their rent money away every month and screw the landlord out of rent.

I think it's absolute ridiculousness that landlords are required to pay electricity bills if the tenant doesn't pay as well and even water as well.

But here's what I'll say to all the landlords in Vegas, if I'm a good tenant who pays my rent on time and in many cases early over a one year lease agreement and even moved out 2 weeks early, painted the walls and cleaned everything up thoroughly and damaged nothing, do me a favor and don't hold on to my security deposit to the last day. Do something nice in this town for people who make good on their business arrangement. By doing this, I would have recommended this landlord to other potential renters since he has numerous units. But after this experience, I never will.

I'm glad to be a homeowner now controlling my own fate. Never again will I rent if I can help it. I'm also very frugal and economize in ways most people would never be able to.

Buy something, even if it's not what you dream of, it's better than renting. Save your damn money and sacrifice potential Vegas renters. Having your own home and controlling your own fate is the best thing a person can do in their life no matter where you live. Home is possible is also an option for many out there. Research it for down payment assistance.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:39 AM

265 posts, read 204,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIS719 View Post
Ok, need a little help. So, we decided on a property, and put down a deposit. Our move in date was suppose to be next Saturday (10/27). The management company said they'd get a crew in prior to clean it, and do repairs prior to move in. We called the realtor 4 days ago and asked for a walk through, to make sure the cleaning and repair work had been done, before we sign anything, and pay the rent. He said that we could do it on Sunday (today), and that he would call us on Friday. No word Friday, and we tried to call him yesterday; phone went straight to voicemail, but voicemail was full so we couldn't leave a message. Tried to call the management office, but it is closed. ok, here's the real sketchy part. Tried going to the management's website, and the page is blank, except for big letters that say "ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SUSPENDED". The management company is "First United Management Group", realtor Chris Penna. What do you suppose we do now?? They have our deposit, and I have given my notice at my current rental property.
Be aware there are some people in town on Craigs List and other places online who may try to scam people out of deposits and other money on homes they aren't really renting. I'd consult a real estate attorney immediately. I know one that's very economical and could probably help if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: