Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 06:20 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,611,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
No state income tax in Nevada and no toll roads. We do have higher fees for you license tags every year and a yearly smog test ($25 or so) is required.

We have three cars. A 2010 Lexus RX350, my daily driver, and my 2015 Camaro, which is a car show garage queen, and my wife's 2011 Camry. Not super high-end, but they're all low-mileage and in nice shape. All are paid off. License tags for all three run about $800/year.
That's the only thing that annoys me, Nevada has some of the best laws in the entire country, the most business friendly and tax friendly environment, what's with the yearly smog check?! I thought we had it awful here in Oregon because we have to get a smog check every 2 years, which is still abnormal, most states don't require that. But every year is positively brutal! I could maybe understand for much older cars, but cars after 2010 or so shouldn't have those requirements. There aren't any issues, it actually creates smog by having people drive specifically to go get a smog check and spend more money and wasted time, a real drag on the economy for no benefit to the public. Not sure who voted that one in.

It's true though, vehicles is where they get you in Vegas, because those tag fees are extremely high but the no personal income taxes does obviously more than make up for it, plus low real estate taxes.

The effective rate of taxation of property in Vegas is around 0.75% of property value, whereas most other places are well above 1% and sometimes more like 2-3%. It's one of the main reasons I would never consider living in a state like Texas, even though there are many things I like about the state and it's very well run, but property taxes on a $1M home in Texas would run you $28,000 per year! That's absolutely ludicrous. In Vegas the same house would be $7,500 to $8,000 maximum per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 09:52 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,528,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The accident rates are higher here because of tourists who are not familiar with the city. The higher accident rates also contributes to higher insurance rates.
Who told you that???

Old 10-30-2018, 01:04 PM

21 posts, read 33,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How much you pay for car insurance, Commercial RE insurance, and health insurance in the Las Vegas Valley?

Yeh, I am thinking about moving of course. I have heard many good things about LV

Cheapest insurance rates how does it compare against NYC, or LA or other major metro areas?

What about RE taxes? I hear a lot of Hawaiians who are priced off the islands move to LV. Why LV? I also hear lots of SoCal residents move to LV.

I'm a licensed health agent in NV so I can help you with that should you move here...

Old 11-01-2018, 11:22 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,334,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
That's the only thing that annoys me, Nevada has some of the best laws in the entire country, the most business friendly and tax friendly environment, what's with the yearly smog check?! I thought we had it awful here in Oregon because we have to get a smog check every 2 years, which is still abnormal, most states don't require that. But every year is positively brutal! I could maybe understand for much older cars, but cars after 2010 or so shouldn't have those requirements. There aren't any issues, it actually creates smog by having people drive specifically to go get a smog check and spend more money and wasted time, a real drag on the economy for no benefit to the public. Not sure who voted that one in.

My understanding is that it was an agreement with the EPA because there is so much smog here. The smog checks are not statewide, only in Clark and Washoe Counties.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,285,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

It's true though, vehicles is where they get you in Vegas, because those tag fees are extremely high but the no personal income taxes does obviously more than make up for it, plus low real estate taxes.

The effective rate of taxation of property in Vegas is around 0.75% of property value, whereas most other places are well above 1% and sometimes more like 2-3%. It's one of the main reasons I would never consider living in a state like Texas, even though there are many things I like about the state and it's very well run, but property taxes on a $1M home in Texas would run you $28,000 per year! That's absolutely ludicrous. In Vegas the same house would be $7,500 to $8,000 maximum per year.

Actually came up in a recent legislative session. The general technical position is that yearly is over kill. However the small business lobby managed to kill it based on effectively wiping out the smog test industry.

I would expect it will eventually be changed but it may be a long while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: