Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 02:14 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,590,597 times

Advertisements

Has anyone received and used the new "free" 3.1 DOCIS Cox Dual Band Modem/Router? Is it any better (or worse) than the old one and or a modem and separate wireless router? Wondering if the distance from the router will be further.

Also, I own my modem and router now and they keep insisting I won't pay a monthly fee but every time I call Cox or do an online chat I get a different answer. For example online it says modem is only free if you have internet and telephone service with Cox. I only have internet and cable tv. Another representative said I wasn't eligible since I own my own modem unless I wanted to pay a monthly fee for the modem. On the other hand the agent who is sending me the modem insisted that I was eligible and did not need to pay a monthly modem rental and didn't need telephone service.

Any reviews would be appreciated.

Last edited by Packrat1; 10-30-2018 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 01:30 AM

241 posts, read 143,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Has anyone received and used the new "free" 3.1 DOCIS Cox Dual Band Modem/Router? Is it any better (or worse) than the old one and or a modem and separate wireless router? Wondering if the distance from the router will be further.

Also, I own my modem and router now and they keep insisting I won't pay a monthly fee but every time I call Cox or do an online chat I get a different answer. For example online it says modem is only free if you have internet and telephone service with Cox. I only have internet and cable tv. Another representative said I wasn't eligible since I own my own modem unless I wanted to pay a monthly fee for the modem. On the other hand the agent who is sending me the modem insisted that I was eligible and did not need to pay a monthly modem rental and didn't need telephone service.

Any reviews would be appreciated.
What model is it? Is it the Arris DG1670A?

Old 10-31-2018, 07:17 AM

727 posts, read 1,057,445 times
I haven't used their new combo modem/router but did use an older one when I first started using Cox six or seven years ago. I found the performance was really bad and switched to a separate modem and router and the performance improved dramatically.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:27 AM

755 posts, read 400,206 times
They gave me a modem arris Touchstone #8200. Just a modem seems to work fine. They said free, but added I think $139 to my bill, but took it off after the usual cox runaround. It won't be long until At & T or VeriZon has 5g here, and cox becomes obsolete.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:42 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,590,597 times
Just had it delivered it is an Arris, I am returning it tomorrow. And yes they charged my internet account an additional $11 a month! So much for free!

Last edited by Packrat1; 10-31-2018 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 10-31-2018, 07:27 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,347,420 times
I never trust anything that Cox says about anything being free. There is always a catch with them. I would dump them entirely if there were a reliable alternative. The main one that I hear about is Century Link, but that is DSL and speeds are all over the place depending upon where you are located.

The last time that Cox said that I *had* to replace my cable modem, I did some checking. I found one that outperformed the one that they were trying to sell me for less than half the price.

Then there was the time that they told me that my modem had failed and had to be replaced, when in fact it was a service outage in my area - but that is another story for another time.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:00 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
They gave me a modem arris Touchstone #8200. Just a modem seems to work fine. They said free, but added I think $139 to my bill, but took it off after the usual cox runaround. It won't be long until At & T or VeriZon has 5g here, and cox becomes obsolete.
Nah.. Cox may have to get more competitive but it will take a lot of infrastructure to seriously erode Cox...maybe in 10 years. And to some degree Cox may simply implement 5g. They have a strong backbone advantage.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I never trust anything that Cox says about anything being free. There is always a catch with them. I would dump them entirely if there were a reliable alternative. The main one that I hear about is Century Link, but that is DSL and speeds are all over the place depending upon where you are located.

The last time that Cox said that I *had* to replace my cable modem, I did some checking. I found one that outperformed the one that they were trying to sell me for less than half the price.

Then there was the time that they told me that my modem had failed and had to be replaced, when in fact it was a service outage in my area - but that is another story for another time.
2019 will bring 2or3 reliable 5g internet service providers. Bye Bye cox.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:12 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
2019 will bring 2or3 reliable 5g internet service providers. Bye Bye cox.
You are a dreamer. Need to increase cell towers by something like 5X and distribute them into neighborhoods. You got any idea how popular cell towers are?

I would think we might get some initial installations in 2019 but that is it.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:19 PM

Cox and paper copy machines will both be obsolete very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas