Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 03:45 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Someone just messaged me and said I am mistaken about the actual details. I'm going to re-read the provision and see whether it is the same as I thought. Maybe there has been a change. I have had this conversation with teachers across the country and as far as we understand it, this is how it works.

Where I am living now, it is fairly easy to speak with someone at the SS office, so I may even go down there.
I too believe you are incorrect Everdeen. You do lose some of your SS but their is a stop somewhere or the other. I think you need to get to the details with an SS expert. You may also be able to escape by putting together another 10 years of SS earnings...though that may only apply if the SS earnings are large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 04:38 PM

34 posts, read 37,932 times
Yeah, I think it may be small loss, maybe equal to a small pension. Not good, but not catastrophic.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:06 PM

32 posts, read 22,231 times
Anything new on this?

Old 10-31-2018, 07:22 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
One other thing, OP, the CCSD does not pay SS taxes, therefore, you are subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision. It's a SS thing where you will not get the SS you have paid into prior or after working for them. It's funny how does make it into the recruitment literature. So if you are coming from a district that has paid into SS or have worked jobs outside of teaching, say bye-bye to any SS benefits you thought you are entitled to.

That isn't accurate. I work for the State of Nevada, and we don't pay into Social Security either. You do not entirely lose your benefits, provided that you have enough service quarters to qualify. The SS rep who has spoken at our retirement briefings said that the benefit is reduced - not eliminated - based upon a formula applying the number of years you worked in a non-SS position.

My retirement from the state will greatly exceed the amount that I would have gotten from SS alone.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:45 PM

34 posts, read 37,932 times
Right, but still losing something, some % of SS you worked for and earned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas