Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 03:05 PM

23,196 posts, read 28,999,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Living in NYC, I can tell you Vegas is much better off avoiding either.

I note that when you left, you went to AZ, not CA. If you think CA is superior, why didn't you move there?
You know the answer to that, why ask!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 03:06 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,326,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
The data is from 2014, but it says Houston is highest in the country, at 8.7%. Las Vegas is second, at 8.0%.

http://www.pewresearch.org/wp-conten...tribution.xlsx

Most U.S. unauthorized immigrants live in just 20 metro areas
I will settle for second highest. Used to be the other way but second will do.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:18 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,854,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
NV, especially Vegas is now on the slippery downward slope of Californication, or at least all the negative parts of it, without the good weather.
2A crowd is worried that Nevada will adopt many of California's draconian (and ineffective) gun control laws, with the first one likely being (because it's easy to understand) a ban on standard capacity magazines. In CA you're limited to 10 rounds in anything (handgun, rifle) with the possible exception of magazines you've owned since the ban went into effect in 1999 (those were recently banned in CA, but the law is under challenge).

Personally, I don't see the need for a 30+ round magazine in a handgun, where the magazine sticks out the magwell six or more inches (typically seen in use at the range by idiots that can barely keep their rounds on the paper) but I do feel 10 rounds could be insufficient in a home defense scenario, when a full-size 9mm can typically hold 15-18 rounds internally (magazines for sale in CA are permanently internally blocked from holding more rounds). I believe the shooter in the Thousand Oaks mass shooting used a high-capacity (30+) magazine that was purchased out-of-state, and then brought back into CA illegally.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:27 PM

15,818 posts, read 14,450,630 times
I know why you left LV. I don't remember why you picked AZ. I assumed it was a cost issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You know the answer to that, why ask!!!

Old 11-10-2018, 03:31 PM

15,818 posts, read 14,450,630 times
It's more than that. It's the whole collectivist, government-centric lifestyle issue. It'st he responsibility of the government will protect you, to feed you, to house you, to provide you medical care, etc, etc, etc... And the people who don't need this can just shut up and be cash cows to be milked to pay for those that do.

NV used to be the place where you either made it on your own, or you didn't. With the influx of Californians and their attitude, it's moving away from that.

Quote:
2A crowd is worried that Nevada will adopt many of California's draconian (and ineffective) gun control laws, with the first one likely being (because it's easy to understand) a ban on standard capacity magazines. In CA you're limited to 10 rounds in anything (handgun, rifle) with the possible exception of magazines you've owned since the ban went into effect in 1999 (those were recently banned in CA, but the law is under challenge).

Personally, I don't see the need for a 30+ round magazine in a handgun, where the magazine sticks out the magwell six or more inches (typically seen in use at the range by idiots that can barely keep their rounds on the paper) but I do feel 10 rounds could be insufficient in a home defense scenario, when a full-size 9mm can typically hold 15-18 rounds internally (magazines for sale in CA are permanently internally blocked from holding more rounds). I believe the shooter in the Thousand Oaks mass shooting used a high-capacity (30+) magazine that was purchased out-of-state, and then brought back into CA illegally.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:24 PM

472 posts, read 377,791 times
The role of govt is to protect you against foreign invasion, and your neighbor. Not to feed you, house you or provide you medical. Those are your responsibilities.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,326,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickydim View Post
The role of govt is to protect you against foreign invasion, and your neighbor. Not to feed you, house you or provide you medical. Those are your responsibilities.
Simply untrue. The role of government is whatever we, the citizens, decide it is. We have deeply embedded a set of limits in the Constitution but other than that we can change whatever. We can even changed the embedded with a significant agreement.

There is an excellent case made that health care is a thing better served up by the government than by private enterprise. We simply do far worse at a much higher cost than other developed nations.

And the degree to which we help the unfortunate is a matter to be determined by the citizenry. I think there is a significant likelihood in the future that full employment will become impossible. A first step is on us - which the vanishing of the over the road trucker in the next couple of decades.

When that occurs it may well be time for some form of general assistance.

Last edited by lvmensch; 11-10-2018 at 05:35 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 05:17 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,108,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickydim View Post
Absolutely. It's called liberty.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,660,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Absolutely. It's called liberty.
Stop and talk to all the homeless I'm sure you see when you're driving around and ask what they think of liberty.

I am aghast at the number of posters here that don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. How the hell is someone who is a paraplegic supposed to fend for themselves? Yeah, I know, "They can get a job." And pray tell me how are they going to afford the necessary items to not only get there, but simply get out of their house?

When they do get there are you going to volunteer to feed them and take them to the toilet?

I didn't think so.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:58 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,026,486 times
Quote:

So easy to carry a second magazine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas