Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2018, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 648 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm trying to see how to proceed evicting my b/f (soon to be ex b/f) from my home. I tried to look up the laws but I get confused since how my situation applies. We've been together for 4 yrs and have a son together. He has a daughter (full custody). The house is under my name (mom co-signed). I sold my previous house (solely under my name) to get this one. He's been helping with the bills but our relationship is completely toxic. I'm tired of fighting and arguing. It's not good for us, and it's not good for the kids. Our son is getting older now where he is understanding everything and I refuse to put him through any more. I want him out of my house. There is just negative energy all the time and I'm tired of living like that. Does this situation fall in normal landlord-tenant laws, or is it a special circumstance because we have a kid together? I do realize that the child customer thing will be a whole other ordeal. Just wondering about how to legally get him out.

Do I just do the normal 30 day notice?

Thank you in advance for any insight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 10:48 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,373 times
I'm assuming you don't have a "landlord/tenant" relationship, as in rental contracts and such. Hard to say exactly what you are going to need to do. My layperson advice is to sit down and have an adult conversation about breaking up and moving forward with your lives. You might have to go the "court order" route if he refuses to leave voluntarily. Maybe put the house up for sale and move. Not real good options, in my opinion.

Also, Nevada landlords don't require anything like a 30 day notice. You can evict within 72 hours, I believe (certain causation required). This ain't California (yet ).

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:40 PM

553 posts, read 1,208,647 times
The child custody issue could make things very messy. In other words, you may need a lawyer if you cannot work things out directly with your BF. If you have to get a lawyer to deal with the child custody, you might as well use the lawyer to help with the eviction. It shouldn't cost that much more.

If you want some help talking with him to work things out, but it's not going well directly between the two of you, Clark County offers free mediation services through the Neighborhood Justice Center (across the street from the Regional Justice Center where the District Court is). A trained mediator will give you up to two, two hour sessions to assist you and your BF in talking through your issues and reaching agreement about how to resolve them. If you reach agreement, the mediator will even help you both put the agreement in writing, and the agreement can later be enforced in court if one side doesn't follow through with the agreement.

If you still want to try to evict him on your own, you can get help from The Self-Help Center in the courthouse.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
You need a deal. Friendly is best. your situation is complex and virtually certain to end up in family court.

I would think it wise for you to obtain the services of a family lawyer. At the moment you need good advice. You may need more later.

And let me endorse the message above on mediation. That is a good version of friendly.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:24 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Does he know that you want him to move?

Old 11-10-2018, 08:44 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Are you afraid for your physical safety? Might the future-ex-BF become violent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas