Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 11:53 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
I work in healthcare here in LV and I don't necessarily agree. How do you figure and what are you basing that on?
Also can you learn to use paragraphs please? It would make your post a lot easier to read through.
I don't read blobs. Was any of it pertinent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 07:24 PM

628 posts, read 397,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickydim View Post
I've read everything there is about pot, smoke for 45 years, and you don't know squat about harmful effects.

Taxing the hell out of it or cigs is discriminating against smokers. It's an individual's choice and they shouldn't be discriminated against. I don't smoke butts.

How about alcohol? Sugar? Gas cars? Condoms? Red meat? Gluten? Parachuting? Bacon?

Why when an individual doesn't like something they want the whole world to change to accommodate them? Live and let live means without interference from your neighbor. Nothing is more un-American as treading upon your fellow citizen.
Enlighten us with your wisdom regarding harmful effects. I had a father who smoked pot daily and I know for a FACT it changed his personality for the worse. I had to live with him, I would know.

I work at a psychiatric hospital and I know for a FACT that it is indeed a "gateway" substance and has numerous harmful psycho social effects. And yes it is now well documented that one can have withdrawal from Cannabis.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:15 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
The added advantage of having it on either Sahara or Flamingo, you are opening the ridership to 40 million tourists. They will be able to visit areas that normally they would not bother because of the location.
I tend to support the Maryland route myself as a starter line. It will certainly aid the downtown area as there may be some lazy tourists like myself who won't travel anywhere unless there's a train waiting for them at the Airport, and with a line to Fremont that will supposedly spur more development downtown, and, wherever they put in a light rail line, developments at the rail stops are sure to follow.

Just like Tucson, where I live, they just have a line from the University to Downtown to Menlo Park and housing is popping up at the rail stops and Menlo Park, where it terminates, two 5 story apartment buildings were built there recently.

It's hard to visualize it 5 years hence, the housing developments that would occur all along that line.

But, of course, the same would happen if they elect to do a Flamingo or Sahara line.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:26 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I tend to support the Maryland route myself as a starter line. It will certainly aid the downtown area as there may be some lazy tourists like myself who won't travel anywhere unless there's a train waiting for them at the Airport, and with a line to Fremont that will supposedly spur more development downtown, and, wherever they put in a light rail line, developments at the rail stops are sure to follow.

But, of course, the same would happen if they elect to do a Flamingo or Sahara line.
Monorail could have done what you've been wishing but somehow Clark County, NV officials and Las Vegas City officials are sitting on it much the same way they've been sitting on the idea of the Southern extension of the monorail to the airport. Public/Pvt partnership and if both scenarios are realised, monorail's ridership would definitely increased.

There are some very powerful "lobbyist" in town making sure that the two scenarios of having a line all the way to Downtown Las Vegas and McCarran will never come to fruition.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Monorail could have done what you've been wishing but somehow Clark County, NV officials and Las Vegas City officials are sitting on it much the same way they've been sitting on the idea of the Southern extension of the monorail to the airport. Public/Pvt partnership and if both scenarios are realised, monorail's ridership would definitely increased.

There are some very powerful "lobbyist" in town making sure that the two scenarios of having a line all the way to Downtown Las Vegas and McCarran will never come to fruition.
$$ talks. And politicians love their donations.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:59 AM

628 posts, read 397,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
$$ talks. And politicians love their donations.
Money talks, mine says goodbye.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:07 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
but the strippers...
i heard condo buildings with out door pools near the strip is best place to see strippers? is this true?

Old 12-05-2018, 04:28 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,055,878 times
Quote:

I know someone who used to work at Monorail, and I know one of the problems is that the Monorail trains are breaking down all the time - like a couple times a week. Its possible the commission is aware of this and that is why they are hesitant to invest in an extension.

Personally, I think that if Monorail can fix the issues, then it ought to be a prime candidate to fill these needs. I'm not sure why we need a whole separate light rail system, and putting it on Maryland Pkwy sounds like an absolutely awful idea. The only thing on Maryland Pkwy I can see anyone needing to get to is UNLV. Maryland Pkwy is several streets east of the strip where more public transportation is needed.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:37 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,018,601 times
The Feds will chip in up to 1/3rd or one half of the cost of a light rail system, which they've been doing all along in other cities, but! For them to help fund it, it must be for residential use only. No funding if they built it on the Strip as that serves tourists, not local residents! Get it, why they're planning the Maryland route?

Old 12-06-2018, 06:55 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I know someone who used to work at Monorail, and I know one of the problems is that the Monorail trains are breaking down all the time - like a couple times a week. Its possible the commission is aware of this and that is why they are hesitant to invest in an extension.

Personally, I think that if Monorail can fix the issues, then it ought to be a prime candidate to fill these needs. I'm not sure why we need a whole separate light rail system, and putting it on Maryland Pkwy sounds like an absolutely awful idea. The only thing on Maryland Pkwy I can see anyone needing to get to is UNLV. Maryland Pkwy is several streets east of the strip where more public transportation is needed.
If the monorail trains keep breaking down then order it from a different manufacturer or it could be that the monorail does not have enough trains to run and use the same stock all the time. Yes Maryland Pkwy light rail is pointless especially when you have a parallel line one mile West on Paradise Road.

Flamingo Rd or Sahara Ave are both high density areas with very high population that will definitely ride that light rail especially on Flamingo which is centrally located. Locals will use it, just look at the population density on both sides of Flamingo Rd, majority of them working on the Strip. It will attract riders to that particular rail line. The line will also help relieve traffic by giving the ones driving pvt vehicles an option to take rail instead.

Clark County can invest on the starter line on Flamingo road with a stop on the Strip and that same line can branch out with stops at UNLV and McCarran. Heading West, the line can go all the way to Red Rock Resort with stops at the shopping center and the baseball/hockey facilities in the area. Flamingo line can also entice tourists to ride the rail to visit areas other than the Strip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas