Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Flamingo Rd or Sahara Ave are both high density areas with very high population that will definitely ride that light rail especially on Flamingo which is centrally located. Locals will use it, just look at the population density on both sides of Flamingo Rd, majority of them working on the Strip. It will attract riders to that particular rail line. The line will also help relieve traffic by giving the ones driving pvt vehicles an option to take rail instead.

Clark County can invest on the starter line on Flamingo road with a stop on the Strip and that same line can branch out with stops at UNLV and McCarran. Heading West, the line can go all the way to Red Rock Resort with stops at the shopping center and the baseball/hockey facilities in the area. Flamingo line can also entice tourists to ride the rail to visit areas other than the Strip.
I think that's a great idea. I would definitely ride it from the Flamingo location. The problem is selling the idea to the people in charge. I don't think they'd go for it sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 10:39 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
It is likely that the days of light rail are over. Autonomous vehicles are virtually certain to take over that role over the next decade. Automated buses and jitneys will be the vehicles of choice.

It may be useful to provide such vehicles with protected access routes. But they would be simply ribbons of concrete rather than rails.

The automated buses will be able to provide much more flexible service including door to door.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:20 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,058,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The Feds will chip in up to 1/3rd or one half of the cost of a light rail system, which they've been doing all along in other cities, but! For them to help fund it, it must be for residential use only. No funding if they built it on the Strip as that serves tourists, not local residents! Get it, why they're planning the Maryland route?
Wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
If the monorail trains keep breaking down then order it from a different manufacturer or it could be that the monorail does not have enough trains to run and use the same stock all the time. Yes Maryland Pkwy light rail is pointless especially when you have a parallel line one mile West on Paradise Road.

Flamingo Rd or Sahara Ave are both high density areas with very high population that will definitely ride that light rail especially on Flamingo which is centrally located. Locals will use it, just look at the population density on both sides of Flamingo Rd, majority of them working on the Strip. It will attract riders to that particular rail line. The line will also help relieve traffic by giving the ones driving pvt vehicles an option to take rail instead.

Clark County can invest on the starter line on Flamingo road with a stop on the Strip and that same line can branch out with stops at UNLV and McCarran. Heading West, the line can go all the way to Red Rock Resort with stops at the shopping center and the baseball/hockey facilities in the area. Flamingo line can also entice tourists to ride the rail to visit areas other than the Strip.
The monorail trains are old Disney peoplemover trains that Disney sold off... Sahara, Flamingo, & Trop are heavily traveled bus lines so it might make sense to use one of these as a starting point. Considering the rumor is that a new stadium is going up at the Rio, then Flamingo might be the way to go.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:34 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
The monorail trains are old Disney peoplemover trains that Disney sold off... Sahara, Flamingo, & Trop are heavily traveled bus lines so it might make sense to use one of these as a starting point. Considering the rumor is that a new stadium is going up at the Rio, then Flamingo might be the way to go.
Nope. Nine Bombardier MVI trains. Couple of Disney trains were used in the early MGM phase.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nope. Nine Bombardier MVI trains. Couple of Disney trains were used in the early MGM phase.
Indeed. Looks like the Disney trains were replaced in 2003:

"As monorails Coral and Lime, these two six-car monorail trains handled millions of riders at Walt Disney World. Then in 1995, they became the first monorails for the Las Vegas system. Handling 5 million passengers annually until retirement in early 2003, they led the way to the development of a new mass transit system for the city of Las Vegas."

https://www.mouseplanet.com/6371/The...Vegas_Monorail

I haven't been on the monorail in years....

Old 12-06-2018, 04:04 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
the only reason that I would ever ride the monorail was for ces and sema

Old 12-06-2018, 05:03 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
the only reason that I would ever ride the monorail was for ces and sema

I'd rather walk.

The last several years I parked at sls and walked down. This year I parked at Tacos el Gordo. Much shorter walk and I got tacos when I was done.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:50 PM

I can see why tourists or conventioners might use the Monorail, but I feel it is rather poorly advertised. I wasn't even aware of it the first few times I visited Vegas long before I moved here.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:46 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I can see why tourists or conventioners might use the Monorail, but I feel it is rather poorly advertised. I wasn't even aware of it the first few times I visited Vegas long before I moved here.
And how many tourists know that in the basement of the Airport, there's a bus stop, the 108 and 109 that will take you down Swenson or Maryland, where you can transfer at Trop, DI or Flamingo to get to the Strip or ride it all the way to downtown? Why on earth would they advertise that for incoming tourists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas