Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:07 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times

Advertisements

Nah- there's plenty of snaggle-toothed white guys and girls handing that crap out too. When I was living there from 94-99 it was 10 times worse than it is now, but it's still pretty bad. And regarding "what good does it do, really?"- it obviously increases business, or the companies wouldn't continue to do it year after year, would they???

Bob

Old 01-01-2007, 01:11 PM

33 posts, read 73,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
No, that wouldn't get rid of some of the problems. It would once again become a bigger economic tax burden for us so that we can provide those poor people with food, clothing, shelter, criminal justice, medical care, etc. No thanks, not interested... they would take far more than they would ever give.
We may have new problems... Who is without problems?
It is either we absorb them, or continue to allow them to absorb us. We would not survive a war with Mexico. Mexico is here already.

The good thing is that they would all have to pay tax. They would each have their own SS#. They could not excape that. We would actually save money on tax if there were more people contributing. They could be paying for their own much more.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:39 PM
YGB

29 posts, read 111,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylane View Post
It is either we absorb them, or continue to allow them to absorb us. We would not survive a war with Mexico. Mexico is here already.

The good thing is that they would all have to pay tax. They would each have their own SS#. They could not escape that. We would actually save money on tax if there were more people contributing. They could be paying for their own much more.
That's what I was thinking penny. More citizens = more taxes = more money. I mean look at it, illegals from Mexico are already here and aren't going anywhere. It's like cancer. When it's in one small part of the body then you can possibly remove it and heal. But when it spreads throughout the body and gets into the bone you're done for. That's what illegal immigration from Mexico is. It's been going on for decades. The boarders of the U.S. and Mexico should have re-enforced after the war with Mexico, but they weren't and now we have an irreversible problem.

As far as the smut on the Strip is concerned. This is Vegas. I laugh when people come here and look for wholesomeness in a town built up by mobsters.

All in all this is a pretty cool place to live if you're single. I agree it's not really the best place to raise a family, but that all depends on your family.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:41 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylane View Post

The good thing is that they would all have to pay tax. They would each have their own SS#. They could not excape that. We would actually save money on tax if there were more people contributing. They could be paying for their own much more.
I believe Redwingfan is correct that there is a large cost to an open border. It is however paid only once and is only a small part of the cost of the Iraq war. So not a huge burden but not negligible either.

If you bite that bullet however the issue is basically settled. Do an open economic union of the US, Canada and Mexico and security and the economy are likely enhanced. The Mexican poor get absorbed in a couple of generations and Mexico and Canada provide a new and expanded field for American entrepreneurs.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:50 PM

96 posts, read 275,552 times
Default comming to AMERICA

Hi,

Question....olecapt says that the mexicans can only come into this
country illegaly or not at all..... I thought that if they were to join the military that after they complete there time in service they and there families, spouses and children. auto. become citizens....

True or false ? I really do not know..

LOVE THE U.S.A.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:56 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE THE U.S.A. View Post
Hi,

Question....olecapt says that the mexicans can only come into this
country illegaly or not at all..... I thought that if they were to join the military that after they complete there time in service they and there families, spouses and children. auto. become citizens....

True or false ? I really do not know..

LOVE THE U.S.A.
With a few odd exceptions you must be in the country legally to join the US military.

Note that the comment was about the less well off Mexicans...they cannot get into the country legally. Well off and educated Mexicans are welcomed and are a large slice of the legal immigration inflow.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:12 PM

531 posts, read 2,073,808 times
Whatever issue you have in Vegas is not nearly as bad as L.A. Vegas has just become a suburb of L.A.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:51 PM

13 posts, read 135,568 times
there is something to be said about the mafia.. for those of you that weren't around when they owned and operated the "strip", there was no peddling on the streets... there were no illegals hanging around, anywhere in town! There was no crap or circus acts whatsoever in Las Vegas.. They didn't put up with any of it, not for one minute... its the Corporations that own the strip that let all of this go on and on... the mafia had their way of dealing with problems... and it worked!

Old 01-02-2007, 04:25 PM

531 posts, read 2,073,808 times
if you want to remember how vegas was run 40 years ago go to macau!

Old 01-02-2007, 04:30 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
Whatever issue you have in Vegas is not nearly as bad as L.A. Vegas has just become a suburb of L.A.
Las Vegas is 250 miles away, they aren't even in the same state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: